Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #1

Type of lense mounts use on K10D

Hello..I am expecting my Pentax K10D any day now and there are a few questions I need answers before I order extra lens(es) for this camera.

1...are all "K" mount lenses work on the K10D or do I need an adaptor..if so what kind?
the K10D specs indicate it will take a "K" mount lens with "restrictions." ?????
2...eventually I would like to use Screw Mount lenses in the future..adaptor..what kind..
3...what about Bayonet lenses..will I be able to mount these lenses on the K10D?

what is the K10D "default" mount?

maybe it's the Pentax terminology of their lenses that I am confused about..
any explanation or answers will be greatly appreciated.

hayward

01-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hayward Taylor Quote
Hello..I am expecting my Pentax K10D any day now and there are a few questions I need answers before I order extra lens(es) for this camera.

1...are all "K" mount lenses work on the K10D or do I need an adaptor..if so what kind?
the K10D specs indicate it will take a "K" mount lens with "restrictions." ?????
2...eventually I would like to use Screw Mount lenses in the future..adaptor..what kind..
3...what about Bayonet lenses..will I be able to mount these lenses on the K10D?

what is the K10D "default" mount?

maybe it's the Pentax terminology of their lenses that I am confused about..
any explanation or answers will be greatly appreciated.

hayward
Early K and M lenses
  • "K" is Pentax's designation of bayonet mounts. All will mount directly on the camera without any problems. The lens may be labeled M instead of K, it is the same mount.
  • If the mount is an early "K", with no A setting on the aperture dial, only manual exposure is available, and one must enable the f/stop ring in the Custom menus.
  • Autofocus, of course, is not possible, but snap-in-focus is. If you set the camea to AF.S, the shutter will not fire until the subject is in focus, which one can do by subject movement, camera movement, or the focusing ring.

KA Lenses
  • The next variation on the K mount was the KA mount, which added the A setting to the aperture ring.
  • With a KA mount, all exposure modes are available, because the camera can see the aperture setting.
  • The aperture is set using the rear edial on the camera.
  • Focus modes are identical to the K.

KAF lenses
  • The exposure modes are the same as the KA lenses, with the addition of the focus drive coupling.
  • This lens will autofocus, but snap-in-focus is no longer available.

KAF2 lenses
  • The KAF2 mount added power zoom to the mix. With the k10d and the k100d Super, the contacts for the power zoom in the camera body are used for the SDM in lens motor.
  • I don't know if the camera can distinguish between the power zoom lens and an SDM lens.

Screw mount lenses
  • The first Pentax cameras used the M42x1 screw mount. The early cameras had no aperture coupling, and used preset lenses or lenses with a manual aperture - the aperture closed down as one moved the f/stop ring.
  • A preset lens has two diaphragm rings, one with the click stops, and the other one flicks with a finger to stop the lens down just befoe releasing the shutter.
  • The Spotmatic series of cameras added an in camera light meter and a mechanism that allowed the camera to stop the lens down. The mechanism was needed in the lens as well, and one can see a projecting pin on the back of the lens, and of course there is only a single f/stop ring.
  • All screw mount lenses can be mounted and used on Pentax digital cameras, using a simple, inexpensive adapter. The aperture, however, is invisible to the camera, so one must use "stop down metering" - stop the lens down to the shooting f/stop and meter and shoot. the view gets dark. I would recommend only the Pentax brand adapter. Others have caused problems.

There's a short overview.

If there is an asterisk "star"[*] in the lens name, the lens is a premium lens. There may be a whole bunch of other letters that indicate the type of elements in the lens, and so forth.

I hope this gets you started in the right direction.
01-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
Albert...thank you so much...the overview was very thorough and educational..I learned a lot from it..thanks again..hayward