Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
Forum Member

K10 user - K5? Wait? Go Sony?

I know, i know, these "should I wait" questions always elicit "get now or wait forever" or "there's always something around the corner", etc. answers which in general is right.

But I got K10 (my first Pentax) back in Jan 2007 and it's getting long in the tooth compared to modern bodies especially in high ISO, lack of video, small LCD and large size/weight.

I accumulated some K-mount glass which I really enjoy and in general, as a committed non-conformist, I like Pentax. But this orphan constantly changing foster homes makes me a little nervous. To me being an available light street shooter (amateur) IBIS is a must. Which leaves as a real ASP-C alternative only Sony which is ok since I'm not married for life to OVF and a mirror.

K-r and K-01 don't wet my appetite. I'd take smaller size/weight any day over weather proofing but I really like bright VF and extensive tactile controls and feature richness of K10/20/7/5 series.

I note that K5 is already well more than a year old. Is there a replacement on a horizon? What to expect?
Also what are your general and honest thoughts on Pentax or even K-mount viability?

Thanks for the help!

03-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5's replacement will be announced in september, and it will likely have a 24Mp sensor. I wouldn't wait if I were you, though- the K-5 is ages ahead of your k10 as far as technology and IQ goes, and right now it's priced very reasonably, even new. Once the successor is announced, the price will likely go back up to full MSRP until stock runs out.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have found the K-5 combined with a DA21 or FA35 to be a very capable street shooter setup for my use.
Samples are here Flickr: CityStreetShots' Photostream
Larry
03-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I have found the K-5 combined with a DA21 or FA35 to be a very capable street shooter setup for my use.
Samples are here Flickr: CityStreetShots' Photostream
Larry
Some nice shots Larry. I like the conversions, my black and whites never turn out to my liking. I enjoy the DA21, the DA40 and the FA35 also. Though I'm debating whether I should keep the DA40 considering how much I love the FA35. The FA35 has a bit more utility and the focal lengths are so close. I believe you had the same problem at one point. Did you end up selling your DA40?

Klopus,

As for compact cameras. I like the NEX for sure, but there are others out there. The Samsung NX series is nice, they have more/better native lens choices, and they'll come out with the NX20 soon enough (w/ OVF). The Fuji looks pretty good too, and the Olympus is a beautiful compact street camera.

03-02-2012, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Did you end up selling your DA40?
No, I still have it and plan to keep it for now.
I consider it one of those 'must have' lenses from Pentax because of it's size and styling.
I can't seem to like the XS version though, go figure

(BTW the B/W conversion on my street shots is primarily using the 'Green Filter' preset in LR3 if you want to check it out.
I use that preset then usually dial down the brightness a little or mess with the exposure slider one way or the other. Thanks for the view and kind feedback.)
03-03-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Get a used k-5 there's plenty of them to be had for a cheap price at the moment, may as well take advantage of the people flocking to the 5dmkiii's and d800's
03-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by klopus Quote
I note that K5 is already well more than a year old. Is there a replacement on a horizon?
I've been shooting with the K-5 for a year now and it remains as one of the best camera's I've ever owned. Granted it's not perfect... (none of them are), but its hard to believe I'll ever need more in terms of functionality and performance. - having said that, if the K-5 successor isn't a major one, I will likely order another pair of K-5's to hold us off until something worthy comes along.

QuoteQuote:
Also what are your general and honest thoughts on Pentax or even K-mount viability?
Personally I don't think I've ever worried about it. And that's likely because we completed our kits a few years ago in terms of glass. However... I've been enjoying, collecting and shooting vintage glass over the years which has no dependencies on the mount per say, and so I guess I really don't think about it much.

Having said that, I've never found any issues getting the range(15 - 300mm) covered with the Pentax mount myself. And given Sigma's most recent developments, I'd say Pentax just got a very welcomed boost on the optical dept. side of things. - don't know about others here, but I really enjoy shooting wide and normals in the f/1.4 - 2.8 range of things.

Last edited by JohnBee; 03-03-2012 at 06:23 AM.
03-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K5 is a huge improvement over the K10 in every respect (unless you have huge hands, in which case you would need to use a grip with the K5 to match ergonomics). As far as waiting for the fall, it is up to you, the K5 price will probably continue to fall somewhat, but the new camera when released will likely be up at the 1500 dollar range.

With regard to Sony, they really seem to be a little fragmented. I am not a big fan of SLT technology -- it improves video usability of course, but at the loss of light. The NEX series doesn't have IBIS. Anyway, their products feel more like gadgets than like real photography tools.
03-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K5 is already well more than a year old
and still awesome!
03-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
and still awesome!
I am just not sure what Pentax can do to make me want a K3 (or whatever it will be called). Increased megapixels, improved video just aren't going to make me, personally want a new camera. I could see sticking with the K5 for several years (I have bought every new flagship model from K100 on) instead of buying the newest camera.
03-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

K5 is a big step ahead of K10 and also NEX and even most of the 'A' series SLTs.
Smaller, more sturdy, lots of fast access buttons, better tweaked sensor, faster AF

I've used it since Oct 2010 moving up from K7 and K100D before it.
Its the camera that I am the most pleased with and the one model that I am very sure can last me for 1-2 more years unless my hands get itchy and I give in to CBA.

I honestly don't foresee that significant a leap in sensor and camera tech in the coming iteration of the K-??
The NEX7, A77 gives a glimpse of what the sensor of the next Pentax model will have (imho, 24mp of the 16mp K5 o/p, so nothing that fantastic)
AF and such may improve, but the K5 is no slouch.
I've shot against the likes of D700; D7K; A700; D90 in a couple of events and the K5 was as good if not the one with more in focused shots.

Small Pentax primes are well suited to be lugged around with the camera in a street shooting environment, without the hassle of large encumbrance of many other systems.

I shoot street and candids every now and then with various lenses.
You can see my Flicker shots here :
Street Photography - a set on Flickr
Thaipusam - a set on Flickr
03-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Pentax will be around for a long time to come. (Ricoh buy out is a good thing) It's been a niche camera for a long time, always reaching out in front of everyone and then letting them pass by before doing it again. There lenses have always been top notch (except of course the "low end" "consumer" glass). I've been shooting with Pentax since 1968 or so and my brand loyalty isn't wavering.

I still use my K10D and am very happy with it. Yes, I will eventually move up to a K5 (or ???) but I will miss the colors that my K10D produce. I simply keep the ISO limited to 800 or push to 1250 (absolute max) and use time tested techniques to shoot low light scenes. I've learned to do simple HDR to increase the range of the sensor so my camera suits all of my needs.
K10D Loyalty !!!!! (but with K5 on the horizon)

P.S. appropriate message for my 800th post here on PF eh?
03-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

To me being an available light street shooter (amateur) IBIS is a must.
Okay...I know I'm stupid, but WTF is IBIS and why does it matter?
03-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Okay...I know I'm stupid, but WTF is IBIS and why does it matter?
In-body image stabilization as opposed to lens stabilization. I could be wrong but I think that Penax, Sony, and Olympus are the only major manufacturers that have this feature. Any lens will work on an IBIS camera to give you a stabilized picture. Only lenses with built-in stabilization will give you a stabilized picture on cameras without it. Some say that lenses without stabilization are cheaper than lenses with it. Personally, I think that all new lenses are overpriced.

Last edited by lammie200; 03-03-2012 at 09:22 AM.
03-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
In-body image stabilization as opposed to lens stabilization. I could be wrong but I think that Penax, Sony, and Olympus are the only major manufacturers that have this feature. Any lens will work on an IBIS camera to give you a stabilized picture. Only lenses with built-in stabilization will give you a stabilized picture on cameras without it. Some say that lenses without stabilization are cheaper than lenses with it. Personally, I think that all new lenses are overpriced.
Thank you. I'm familiar with in-camera stabilization....just not up on the acronyms.