Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Its not merely pressure that makes the fail. Movement over time can weaken them. Poor design can cause them to wrinkle or pinch thereby allowing water ingress. Decay over time due to exposure to solvents (like alcohol, soap - yes, simple soap, and salt water) and even simple exposure to UV and Oxygen can render them inoperable. Fewer moving parts for Pentax is a design plus straight out of the gate for WR. More gaskets is also a plus. Quality is certainly a factor but so are the other factors (and more) that I listed above.
Very good info - thanks, I didn't think about movement at all.

03-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
There is something to note about this: the K-7 and K-5 have 77 seals, while the EOS-1D X has 76 seals—yet the K-7 and K-5 have fewer control points than any EOS-1 series camera. The D-BG4 battery grip adds an additional 43 seals.

Can this mean that PENTAX weather sealing is better than even a Canon EOS-1 series camera?

--DragonLord
Lets say you have a simple cube with with 12 edges. Now add split one side in half, you have 13 edges.
Is the box with 13 edges and 13 seals more resistant than the one with 12 edges and 12 seals?

Without knowing how many places on each camera would be in need of seals and how those seals are designed, it is impossible to determine reliability merely on their count alone.
03-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
one question, is DA* lens better sealed than DA WR lens?
03-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
one question, is DA* lens better sealed than DA WR lens?
Yes. DA* lenses are fully sealed, but PENTAX refers to DA WR lenses as having a "simplified weather-resistant construction" (see page 7 of the DA lens manual).

--DragonLord

03-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

It would be nice if Pentax/Canon/Nikon stated the JIS/IEC weatherproofing grades their DSLR's met. Maybe they do, somewhere.

Dust ingress protection
Grade 4
Protected against solid foreign objects 1,0 mm diameter and greater.

Grade 5
Dust protected. Ingress of duct is not totally prevented, but dust shall not penetrate in a quantity to interfere with satisfactory operation of the apparatus or to impair safety.

Grade 6
Dust tight. No ingress of dust.

Degrees of protection against ingress of water indicated by the second characteristic numeral

Grade 0
Non-protected

Grade 1
Protected against vertically falling water drops.
Vertically falling drops shall have no harmful effects.

Grade 2
Protected against vertically falling water drops when enclosure is tilted up to 15 degrees.
Vertically falling drops shall have no harmful effects when the enclosure is tilted at any angle up to 15 degrees on either side of the vertical.

Grade 3
Protected against spraying water.
Water sprayed at an angle up to 60 degrees on either side of vertical shall have no harmful effects.

Grade 4
Protected against splashing water.
Water splashed against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.

Grade 5
Protected against water jets.
Water projected in jets against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.

Grade 6
Protected against powerful water jets.
Water projected in powerful jets against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.

Grade 7
Protected against the effects of temporary immersion in water.
Ingress of water in quantities causing harmful effects shall not be possible when the enclosure is temporarily immersed in water under standardized conditions of pressure and time.

Grade 8
Protected against the effects of continuous immersion in water.
Ingress of water in quantities causing harmful effects shall not be possible when the enclosure is continuously immersed in water under conditions which shall be agreed between manufacturer and user but which are more severe than for numeral 7.

As a guide, the tough little Ricoh G700SE's water resistance is rated at JIS/IEC waterproof protection grade 8 so the G700SE can handle two hours of underwater photography at a depth of 5 m. Dust resistance, at JIS/IEC dustproof protection grade 6, guards against infiltration by dust and sand.

The Pentax Optio WG-2 also has underwater performance in depths up to 40 feet (from 30 feet) for up to two hours of continuous operation (equivalent to IPX8 or JIS Class 8 waterproof performance).

I doubt the K-5 is in the same league as the G700SE or Optio WG-2, but I would hazard a guess and say with a WR lens on it a K-5 might get to Grade 6 on dust ingress protection and Grade 4 on water ingress protection, perhaps even Grade 5 (judging from some of the videos of the K-5 being either repeatedly placed in a shower or washed down with a hose).
03-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member

It's weather resistant WR, not water proof,This mean it's good to use outside not underwatewer
03-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
It's weather resistant WR, not water proof,
I agree. JIS/IEC water ingress, Grade 4 seems about the limit of what I would be confident about with something like the K-5 and 18-55 WR combo.

03-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #23

Well, like everyone else in this thread so far, I can't answer your question either. However, I can say that the abuse my K-5 has survived has given me far more faith in its weather sealing than I really need. Short of liquid submersion, I will most likely give up before the K-5 does.

I've taken mine into torrential rain for hours and day-long hikes in the rain, through sand, dirt and dust, paintballing, snowshoeing, high heat, etc. During all of this abuse I didn't hide the camera in a bag or under my jacket, it was out and ready for use at all times, exposed.

The few people I've shot with that owned Canon, Nikon or otherwise don't put their cameras through this for one reason or another. Maybe I'm just crazy, or maybe I just trust that my K-5 is built well.
07-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jremick Quote
The few people I've shot with that owned Canon, Nikon or otherwise don't put their cameras through this for one reason or another. Maybe I'm just crazy, or maybe I just trust that my K-5 is built well

In terms of WR... The new K30 probably has the best WR of any slr on the market. The K30 can hold class 4 indefinately and almost borders upon a class 5. The degree of WR followed not too far behnd by the K5.

Then there are the competetors... Items like the Canon 5d (different variations) don't fair very well in real world WR; and in that realworld I've seen Canon 5d's literally "totaled beyond repair" in items such as stage 2's. The new Canon X model and also itemslike the Nikon D4 should fair quite well
07-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #25

I dropped mine into a pond fora few seconds and it still works.
07-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by coreyhkh Quote
I dropped mine into a pond fora few seconds and it still works.
Good to know, horrifying to hear
07-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I doubt the K-5 is in the same league as the G700SE or Optio WG-2, but I would hazard a guess and say with a WR lens on it a K-5 might get to Grade 6 on dust ingress protection and Grade 4 on water ingress protection, perhaps even Grade 5 (judging from some of the videos of the K-5 being either repeatedly placed in a shower or washed down with a hose).
I doubt it. IP54 maybe. IPx4 being essentially 3 minutes under a 12.5 l/min shower head. IPx5 is 3 minutes under a 1/4" nozzle at the same flow rate. IP6x is no dust ingress whatever after 8 hours in a cloud of talcum powder.

Last edited by kh1234567890; 07-19-2012 at 09:35 AM.
07-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Take a look at this link:
07-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/191841-pentax-dust...ghanistan.html.

--DragonLord
07-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing I noticed about all "Pentax WR success stories" posted on YouTube is that some Canon fan will always link up DigitalRevTV's "torture test" for the Canon 7D...

..lots of shock...strong water...immersion...even FIRE... and the thing "still works".
I think we love our cams too much to subject it to such abominable procedures... which won't really happen by a large margin in "real life"