Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

How's IBIS on K-5?

Coming from Canon IS lens with my K10 I was a little disappointed with sensor-shift performance. At one point I had both Rebel XTi and K10 and through unscientific comparos at same focal lengths (50-120mm) and exposure I noticed that Canon's 28-135 with 1st gen IS would give me on average at least 1 stop more of handholding than both Sigma 17-70 and DA 50-200 on K10. I observed similar differences vs my backup Pana GF1 with 14-45 (28-90 in 35mm terms) OIS lens.

Also I saw in various reviews (DPR/IR and/or Pop Photo) of subsequent Pentax bodies (K-x/r?) Pentax IBIS being unfavorably compared vs Sony. I failed to find any IS tests in DPR K-5 review.

So is K-5 IBIS now in ballpark with Oly and Sony and OIS on Canikon lens?

--
Klopus's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

03-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think the stabilization on k-5 is same on k-7..so u can read the part fom k-7 review at Dpreview
Pentax K-7 Review: Digital Photography Review

"The K-7's IS system certainly works but is not as impressive as some other systems we've seen. It generates an advantage of somewhere between one and two stops. However, it significantly increases your chances of getting a usable shot at the very slowest shutter speeds and therefore certainly provides a real benefit in many shooting situations."
03-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
IBIS not up to snuff on Pentax

In general, I agree that the IBIS on Pentax promised more than it delivered on the early models e.g K10.

However, my KR IBIS is better than on the K10, clearly so.

I think people sometimes expect too much and tend to shake the camera expecting IBIS to cancel out the unsteady hand. One must still be steady.

But, I also have a Nikon D5100 and the IS on that kit lens is clearly better than IBIS on the KR. Also the case for my Sigma 120 - 400mm lens, where I can take blur free hand held shots at 400mm thanks to the image stabilization on that lens.

If blurry shots are your common problem on a Pentax, perhaps an investment in any IS lens will be worthwhile.
03-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I never did any testing, but I never had a reason to complain either. For example, the following shot was taken with a 500mm using 1/25 shutter speed:

03-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

IBIS? almost 5 years here in the forum and have never seen that term yet.

Jason
03-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
You should expand your horizons to other fora (forms?) as well
03-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by klopus Quote
Coming from Canon IS lens with my K10 I was a little disappointed with sensor-shift performance. At one point I had both Rebel XTi and K10 and through unscientific comparos at same focal lengths (50-120mm) and exposure I noticed that Canon's 28-135 with 1st gen IS would give me on average at least 1 stop more of handholding than both Sigma 17-70 and DA 50-200 on K10. I observed similar differences vs my backup Pana GF1 with 14-45 (28-90 in 35mm terms) OIS lens.

Also I saw in various reviews (DPR/IR and/or Pop Photo) of subsequent Pentax bodies (K-x/r?) Pentax IBIS being unfavorably compared vs Sony. I failed to find any IS tests in DPR K-5 review.

So is K-5 IBIS now in ballpark with Oly and Sony and OIS on Canikon lens?

--
Klopus's Photo Galleries at pbase.com
In lens and in body stabilization are pretty close at this point. I think two to three stops improvement in hand holding, on average. In lens may be a little better for really long lens and obviously, it stabilizes your viewfinder, if you need/want that.

A review compared several 70-200 f2.8 lenses, including the Sigma with OS and found that it was equivalent to SR in the K5: Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax - 70-200mm Sigma & Tamron - PentaxForums.com.
03-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote

Jason
I thought it was about a bird...

03-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I thought it was about a bird...
+1

OP, it's SR with Pentax
03-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
+1

OP, it's SR with Pentax
Exactly.

On Nikon it's called "VR"

On Canon and Olympus it's called "IS"

On Fuji it's called "ha ha, you wish!"
03-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

And on Sony it is SteadyShot, but all of these are brand specific names. IBIS is a generic term that doesn't imply a specific implementation. It is used pretty often, even here on PF.
03-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think IBIS is great for shorter focal lenghts, but for longer lenses the OS are amazing especially as they can be tailored for the focal lenght. Take the 70-300 di vc, press the shutter button and you see the difference in the ovf! It's amazing its like the frame is frozen. Also like other things, technology improves over time, and I would guess that this includes stabilisation. It would be reasonable to expect that the K-5's stabilisation is superior to that of the K10d's and that a lens with an OS release 5 years ago would have an inferior OS to that released recently.
03-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #13

For really long telephotos, in-lens is better to use. That said, since I go to old churches and shoot interiors I love the in-body stabilization with my WA lenses. I started talking photos in 1962 which was before zoom, before high ASA, before image stabilization, maybe before Canon and I am really pretty good at compensating physically. Not long ago I was wrapped around a concrete light pole taking a photo of a full-moon over a church and I saw a group of tourists laughing at me. Hey, I'm old. I've been laughed at before. Yes, I have a tripod but I rarely carry it and the churches and museums prohibit tripods.
03-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
It would be reasonable to expect that the K-5's stabilisation is superior to that of the K10d's and that a lens with an OS release 5 years ago would have an inferior OS to that released recently.
Also, there's a difference between high end and low end bodies. The K-7 has better SR than the K-x.
03-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
Site Supporter

In-Body Image Stabilazation is just great, when one has a passion for old MF-lenses. And I have absolutely no cause for complaints. See for example the attached image; Not only was it shot hand held at 1/80s with a 200mm Focal Length lens - that lens (Tamron SP80-200mm f/2.8 Model 30A) actually weighs about 3 pounds (1536 grams)!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo