Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x does sports?

I shot this pic with my K-x and Sigma 50-150 at ISO 3200 using AF-C 5 point. Not sure if the K-x can actually track or if it is a fluke, but I was tracking the rear skater though the corner; other pics are similar:

03-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

looks like it does, in the right hands
03-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No fluke.

Object tracking AF is a K-x feature when using AF.C and Auto-5 or Auto-11 AF. There is even a K-x Picture Mode for 'Moving Object', which confirms the existence of some tracking capability.
03-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great action shot.

03-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. I'm really liking my K-x although I do have my eyes on the K5.
A note about focussing. If I zoomed while using af-c my shots were mostly OOF. I found I had to zoom THEN half press to start tracking/focus.
03-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
Thanks for the feedback. I'm really liking my K-x although I do have my eyes on the K5.
A note about focussing. If I zoomed while using af-c my shots were mostly OOF. I found I had to zoom THEN half press to start tracking/focus.
Thats a very intresting observation ! Its also something I need to find out about with the K5 ! Thank you !
03-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
Well when zooming in your DOF gets thinner and that is making it more difficult. Great shot is this.
03-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well when zooming in your DOF gets thinner and that is making it more difficult. Great shot is this.
Thats very true ! But I do it all the time with D3s or D300 and 80-200 F2.8 photographing race horses and they manage it no problem at all.
Thinking about it.... it normaly happens the otherway around though. More often than not Ive zoomed out and zoom in as the frame is filled lol.
It would be nice to hear more on this ! Ive been thinking of giving the K5 a shot using the 50-135.
Ive been booked for 3 days Races at Cheltnam and the grand national already.
I would be surprised if it wouldnt keep up with zooming as long as its steady and not just yanked too and fro !
I would rather know from someone that uses one, before I spend all that money

03-04-2012, 03:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Thats very true ! But I do it all the time with D3s or D300 and 80-200 F2.8 photographing race horses and they manage it no problem at all.

It would be nice to hear more on this ! Ive been thinking of giving the K5 a shot using the 50-135.
Well look at the difference in price and specs between the D3s with 80-200 and a K-x with a consumerzoomlens. One would hope to get something extra for the money

The 50-135mm is about the slowest lens you can get. Don't wast expensive phototime on it, unless you have some sparetime to fill. Then you can make some nice (but maybe luckey) shots. And great for portraits in the surroundings of such an event and a lot less to carry around compared to D3s/80-200.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 03-04-2012 at 07:39 AM.
03-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well when zooming in your DOF gets thinner and that is making it more difficult. Great shot is this
The master has spoken.

Head over to the k5 forum and check out the sports thread there. Ron's pictures in that thread are as good as you'll get from any body/lens combo. He's our in house "go to" for Pentax sports advice.
Exhibit A

I didn't have time to find the water polo shots....superb.
03-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Nicely done. There have long been complaints that you can't shoot sports with Pentax cameras which is a pile of crap, which you have discovered. There is a bit of learning curve in shooting fast action. I will admit that some other brands do a better job with AF tracking but Pentax cameras hold their own. Most of my deleted sports shots are results of my mistakes, not the camera. Too slow a shutter speed, motion blur from poor panning, etc. Tracking a fast moving subject isn't always easy either. It's quite easy to have the subject off the focus point and the camera focus on something in the background or foreground. A lot will depend on the DOF you have to work with. I would never try to zoom while tracking. The AF is going to have to re-adjust each time you change the focal length and the DOF changes also. If you have the light, f/11 works real good. I have shot motorcycle and ATV races on ice with a manual lens and had enough DOF to keep 4 or 5 bikes in focus coming through a turn towards me. Also, if you are stopped down, you can adjust the shot if necessary in PP in regards to exposure and noise but you can never salvage an out of focus shot.
03-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
The master has spoken.

I didn't have time to find the water polo shots....superb.
Among the blind you can excell even with one eye

But I'm very proud of my two weeks working at the EC Waterfly:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/115277-k-5-sports-photog...ml#post1786418
03-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
compared to. . .?

So as reeftool says, people always say you can't shoot sports with Pentax. I have a K-x. It is (was) Pentax's entry level DSLR. I'm am an ''entry level'' amateur (well, maybe a little more). And yet I get great shots in so many different situations.

I've seen great shots from equivalent Canon and Nikon too. I'm told they autofocus faster. Could be, but in that speedskater pic they were coming around the corner pretty quickly, and Pentax kept up fine.

I keep feeling like I want to upgrade to the K5, but I'm not sure I would really benefit given my needs. OTOH, I've also thought about waiting to see what replaces the K5.

Thanks to all for their comments.
03-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #14
Pentaxian

When my daughter was rowing in high school and through 4 years of college, I saw lots of parents at many different regattas with SLR's and DSLR's and most of them griped about AF issues. They would often be taking shots of a close race with a telephoto. The boats would be 3 deep and passing and they would constantly gripe about the camera getting the wrong crew in focus. Well, it wasn't really the camera. Often, they were shooting at f/4 with a narrow DOF and it would be quite easy for the AF point to be on the wrong crew. Spending a little time reading a book like "Understanding Exposure" and they would quickly discover their problem. I heard it from both Nikon and Canon users who were ready to take their new camera back rather than spend the time learning how to use it.
While your Kx is entry level, it is a little more advanced than my K10D which I was using exclusively until this fall. I believe it has a higher burst rate and it certainly does better in high ISO shots. Most of us who are older started shooting sports on manual cameras before auto focus was invented. In a couple of years, the entry level cameras will have K5 specs.
03-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Any Photographer can shoot sports with a practica MTL3 lol
If you cant.... your not a photographer.... you are someone with a camera !
yer yer yer I know I know..... some cameras are better than others lol
Whats really funny though is the fact its actualy true.
( for the puppies.... Practica MTL3 is an old all manual camera ) but heyyyy it had a built in light meter !