Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shooting while skiing

I'm about to go skiing in a few weeks, and I'm wondering if you guys have any tips on how to shoot safely while skiing. I'm pretty much a beginner, though I don't fall very often due to my cautious nature. I'll probably we trying the non-green slopes this time around.

I guess I'm looking for tips on how to carry the camera, how easy it is to shoot while skiing, how to protect the camera, etc. I didn't get any pictures the first time I went because I wasn't properly prepared.

01-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
Inactive Account

in my personal opinion i would take a compact camera unless you are going out specifically on a photography "trip" one day, in which case use a backpack and stop and take it out to take photos. my skiing style is somewhat aggressive so i would never take my SLR out for a general ski because if I fall the chances of it breaking are high. I couldn't ski with one around my neck and the weight of my K10D in a backpack would be significant enough to hinder my skiing in harsh conditions.

also you're hands will get cold very fast so maybe get some leather gloves or something where you can still use the camera with them on? and don't get it out on a lift unless you have a strap firmly attached to your wrist... disaster waiting to happen there!
01-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelpruner Quote
in my personal opinion i would take a compact camera unless you are going out specifically on a photography "trip" one day, in which case use a backpack and stop and take it out to take photos. my skiing style is somewhat aggressive so i would never take my SLR out for a general ski because if I fall the chances of it breaking are high. also you're hands will get cold very fast so maybe get some leather gloves or something where you can still use the camera with them on? and don't get it out on a lift unless you have a strap firmly attached to your wrist! disaster waiting to happen there!
For safety reasons alone, I would not carry my k10d + 50-135. I can see myself getting speared by the lens hood.
01-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting, I have a Nikon buddy that wants to go shooting skiers I was going to post question about tips for shooting them. Maybe along the same lines. Not on ski's myself but from the sidelines.

01-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pentax make a water proof P&S camera that would be good for this. small compact, fits in the pocket, and immune to getting wet when you fall (due to too much time spent looking through the viewfinder as opposed to where you are going)
01-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to play it safe and just carry a P&S, and shoot only when stopped and on the sides. No sense in hurting myself (or someone else) just for some pictures.
01-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm a skier and have taken a lot of photos through the years and agree with the others that a point and shoot compact is the way to go. If I do use an SLR its a one run trip up the gondola, take the pictures and back down, I don't like to ski with a larger camera. My daughter competes as a freeskier and I pretty much stay put when i'm taking pictures. Another thing to consider...I met a guy a couple of years ago who fell while carrying a camera and although the camera was fine he broke a couple of ribs, and that was with a 35mm P&S so think about which pocket you carry it in.

01-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It's all been said - consider a fanny pack or small back pack if using a camera while skiing or at least some sort of water resistant if not water proof case. If it were me given my style (I love speed) and Skill (not so good) I might was well take a self portrait I could use on my tombstone !
01-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
Forum Member

i gotta agree - i love to ski but am absolutely USELESS at it - why not take one of them cannon IXUS cameras they are only a half inch thinck (thin/thick) and will probably be my next camera to acompany my k10D - i like the look of them as they are skinnier then my wallet - and i carry my wallet when on ski's and fall over lots and my wallet never stabbed me...

just a thought is all
01-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Make sure you set the compact to its "ski" or "beach" mode, if it has one. The camera will see all the bright snow and stop down, making all the pictures too dark. Using these modes should open it up again for a better exposure.
01-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #11

Hi All,

'how to shoot safely while skiing' surely there's no such thing!! It's just wreckless!!
01-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I thought this was a biathlon post...
01-10-2008, 12:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Whether you should take any camera gear with you would probably depend on your skiing skill, and how confident you are

I went snowboarding for the first time ever a few months ago. I was carrying a small backpack, and amongst the items was a can of V energy drink. Despite getting lessons, I had been falling on my back and tumbling about for most of the day. By the end of the day, when I went to get the can of V out, the can was covered in dents all over; and I'm lucky it didn't puncture! I deliberately didn't take my P&S for fear of any damage, and if I did, it definitely wouldn't have survived.

I did end up going again later in the season, and by that time, I was confident enough in my ability that I carried my P&S with me. I carried it in one of the front pockets in my jacket, and it survived without any problems; probably helped by the instinct to use my hands to help cushion a forward fall.