Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I'd pick the K10D over the K-x/K-r too. Better build, better viewfinder, better controls...
What he said. There is a reason why I have not upgraded and it is not related to price. I may yet get a K-5 though...

Steve

03-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Ecphoto: Why did you have trouble finding Olympus or Sony accessories? At least with the Sony, you also had access to all the old Minolta stuff.

As for your using an Olympus E-500 and Sony A330, you picked two of the least desireable bodies of those two companies. The A330 had terrible ergonomics. That grip style died a rapid death.

Do you have any of the Olympus or Sony lenses still? If so, give a used E-520 or A700 a try. The A700 is a well loved camera. I use a Pentax K20D, which I strongly recommend, but also an Olympus E-520 which I enjoy using at work especially for macro shots because of its good liveview functions.
03-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #18
Pentaxian

K10D is the last top model DSLR with CCD sensor.
03-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
K10D is the last top model DSLR with CCD sensor.
Exactly the reason why I mentioned it's ISO 100 photos are unbeatable. Also one of the main reasons I haven't upgraded.

03-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I have used every Pentax camera up through the K7, and since I really did not like the ergonomics of the K7, I never bothered with the K5. I agree with others, that the images out of the K10 are simply exquisite and untouchable at lower ISO's. If you go back and read some of the earlier reviews for the K10D, it was considered a good High ISO performer as well. So, yes, the K10D is a great camera!

You may or may not be able to use it at weddings, this is entirely up to your skills. People pointing out that the "higher ISO" capabilities of the K-x, K-r or K5 may qualify them as "better" professional cameras, never to miss an action photo or AF correctly. This argument is a bit moot, wedding/professional photographers using Digital SLR's just a few years ago were armed with cameras that today would be considered too slow, too this or too that. But they did it then, you can do it now. Heck, just 10 years or so ago, some of these guys were still using film, before that, they had to manually focus, how on earth could they pull that off, I think skill/knowledge played a big part

Buy a properly functioning K10D, some really decent lenses and get better (at PP as well)...

Last edited by theunartist; 03-19-2012 at 06:31 AM.
03-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
You may or may not be able to use it at weddings, this is entirely up to your skills. People pointing out that the "higher ISO" capabilities of the K-x, K-r or K5 may qualify them as "better" professional cameras, never to miss an action photo or AF correctly. This argument is a bit moot, wedding/professional photographers using Digital SLR's just a few years ago were armed with cameras that today would be considered too slow, too this or too that. But they did it then, you can do it now. Heck, just 10 years or so ago, some of these guys were still using film, before that, they had to manually focus, how on earth could they pull that off, I think skill/knowledge played a big part
Sooooo true
03-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think the biggest question is what lenses do you plan to use with a K10D, if you get high quality fast glass then you can keep your ISO down and get the best of all worlds.
With my K20D I use all Pentax A series lenses from the 80's because the quality is high (don't argue that or I will kill you) they have the A function so all the exposure can be done by the camera like a new lens when on A setting, or I can use the quick front and rear dials to fiddle with aperture and shutter speed when on M mode. They are available on Ebay for pocket change. For low light I use my 50mm 1.4 which damn near has night vision, excellent for portraits but rather terrible for wide shots or really tight spaces on APSC. I do prefer to manual focus though, you probably wouldn't. One of Pentax's main strengths is that everything is compatible lens wise so you have decades of good glass lying about to buy on the cheap.

If you plan to get a cheap wide range kit lens for the camera then the K10D would be crap in low light since those are almost always painfully slow variable aperture lenses. To make a K10D shine couple it with a wider end zoom with a wide aperture like this: SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database (or aftermarket equivalent)
or one of the faster primes in a good length.

I suppose there are portraits at weddings and also higher zooms needed during ceremonies, I don't actually know a damn thing about photographing weddings so let someone else fill in the blanks here.

The main advantage to a K10D in my opinion is that they are super super cheap now so you can afford to dump cash into lenses which are the true long term investment (they'll outlast like 10 bodies). Make sure you can test it first (return policy) and pixel peep a lot on your computer before deciding, I got a K20D with a small dead sensor area though its no big deal to edit it out.

EDIT: I should mention that with digital I find that in in highly mixed lighting (think white dress with dark background) you get purple fringing like crazy, If you stop down just a bit it clears right up, so don't plan to be able to use the highest aperture on anything you buy in all situations.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 03-21-2012 at 12:06 PM.