Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #1

Pentax k10d a good camera?

I'm new to this forum and I've never owned a pentax camera.

I owned a Olympus e500 and then a sony a330. With both I was never quite happy and had a hard time finding affordable accessories.
Of course now adays olympus lenses are dirt cheap lol, but I couldn't see going back to them since they are focusing mostly on their new pen cameras and not really on slr's.

My point is I don't want to get stuck with a lens collection and a camera company that isn't going anywhere.

I've been looking a lot at nikon and canon, moslty canon cause I'm broke.

I've heard from a few people that pentax packs quality features into all their cameras at a good price point.

I can get this camera used for about 250.

03-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking at Canon because you're broke? You'll stay broke looking at Canon!
But seriously Pentax is a good choice and people have been saying they're 'going nowhere' for a long time now. I had a K10D and it was a solid performer. From ISO 100-400 it produced beautiful smooth 10Mp images. Enough resolution for most applications, even professional ones. And the K-mount has been around for decades with excellent quality lenses. I think it's a wise choice.
03-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #3

I have the K100 and K20. have had several other slr's, and will stay with Pentax. Good cameras just like many other brands.
03-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
Are they viable as a pro camera? I would like to eventually start doing weddings. I like what I see with the k5 and would like to buy that one once I can afford it lol.

03-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecphoto Quote
Are they viable as a pro camera? I would like to eventually start doing weddings. I like what I see with the k5 and would like to buy that one once I can afford it lol.
K10D is superb -- at low ISO. Not so great above 400. My K20D is good up to about 1600. K5 is reputedly good much beyond that. And as I much as I love my K20D, I realize that it's now Old Technology (and the K10D is a generation older). The K5 seems to be a real deal right now. Were I assembling my first dSLR kit right now, I'd grab the K5. I'll let others advise on wedding kits, but I think you'll see the Tamron 28-75/2.8 recommended greatly.
03-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd also suggest the K-5 for weddings. The high ISO performance these days is a must. The K10D will make you struggle for good shots in low lighting, both to focus on and to expose to.
03-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

A K10D at $250 and a few lenses will be an inexpensive way of trying out Pentax as its lenses. If you are not ready to shoot weddings then it does not matter if the camera is either as in a couple of years the next model or two will be want you will be wanting anyways.

I would not be buying the camera now that you want to use in the future unless it is the very immediate future
03-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I'd skip the K10 and buy a secondhand K-x. Much better image quality, much more suitable to low light shooting. It's no K-5, but I still regularly use my K-x because it's so small and, well, so damn cheap I'm not afraid to put it in danger at times

03-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There isn't a camera out there that beats the K10D at 100 ISO, and this includes the K-5. My K10D has never let me down for hobby snaps or pro shoots, but I have no interest in weddings. I'd recommend the K10D to start with.
03-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

DxO data does hail the K-5 as king of dynamic range at ISO 80 and 100 in APS-C format, though the K10D can't be overlooked for a cheaper alternative.
Nevertheless, I have found my ISO 100 images from my K-5 as faultless as I have found my old K10D images at ISO 100 - only there is an added 6Mp of resolution added to the K-5 images.
For weddings in particular, I wouldn't chance being forced to lower ISOs as the K10D would do - a number of my wedding images have had to be at ISO 1600 and 3200, which are quite clean and acceptable even at full resolution on the K-5, if adequately exposed.
03-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I'd skip the K10 and buy a secondhand K-x. Much better image quality, much more suitable to low light shooting. It's no K-5, but I still regularly use my K-x because it's so small and, well, so damn cheap I'm not afraid to put it in danger at times
I love the K10, but agree with Twitch here. The K-x is faster in almost every way, and good low-light abilities, and can be had for about the same price as a K10. Might be a better fit for the kind of shooting you'll be doing.
03-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Even better would be the K-r IMO, since it has the focus confirmation spots on the viewfinder (an important feature I think) plus another stop of low light performance at high ISO. They're going for little more than a K-x thesedays... But indeed, the lenses are where it's all at, particularly for weddings - Tamron 28-75 or 17-50 plus a fast telephoto like a 70-200 or even an autofocus 100 or 135mm f/2.8 lens might do for your purposes. I've done complete weddings with a Pentax DA 12-24, Tamron 28-75 and a Pentax FA 100 f/2.8 macro on two bodies and two flashes, and I managed to do it OK on my own. If you're not just doing weddings for fun, I'd suggest at least two bodies and an external flash with bounce and swivel on top of fast (at least f/2.8) lenses. Sounds like a big investment, but essential to do a good job of it.
03-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd pick the K10D over the K-x/K-r too. Better build, better viewfinder, better controls.

OTOH, if I would start building a system these days, it wouldn't be around an SLR but around a MILC.
03-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

There are some great used bodies that are for sale from Canon, Nikon and Pentax. You mentioned concerns about the camera company not going anywhere, so I would caution against Pentax. It is true that recently Pentax (with Ricoh) seems off to a great start, but Pentax is playing catch up, if you would like something safe then I would suggest you stick to the big two. If you are willing to risk it, then go pentax and like many here I don't doubt that you will love it, especially if what the new direction it is heading to is successful.
03-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-10 is a legend, bear in mind K200D is her little sister, same sensor, same IQ, WR, etc..