Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Inactive Account

A-HA moment with Raw/Review (uses JPEG engine)

I was wondering why the review of images on my K5 was so different from the RAW files when imported into Lightroom. Also, taking pictures side-by-side with my K10D showed vastly different renderings on the viewfinder but those differences were very minimal when viewed in Lightroom.

So then I woke up and realized that both cameras were showing the RAW image as processed by the JPEG engine. I had my K10D set fairly neutral and my K5 set to "Bright" lol.

All these years I had no idea my K10D did that! I just never put thought into it. In the past, I clicked the shutter and reviewed the image - it was not THAT vastly different from the RAW file that it caught my attention - and what differences there were, I attributed to the differences between the camera's LCD and my monitor. But, the K5's bright setting is vastly different than RAW so it was the first thing I noticed when reviewing the RAW files in Lightroom.

Anyway, just thought I would pass that along in case someone could use that "tip".

- Andrew

03-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep, RAW files have embedded in them a small JPEG 'preview' image, rendered according to the camera's JPG settings. That's what you've been seeing on your rear-screen when reviewing your RAW's in-camera, and some photo apps will display the preview JPG too by default, instead of running a full RAW conversion every time they open the file.
03-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks rawr, where were you four years ago?

I suppose I had always assumed that a minimal JPEG was rendered, something fairly representative of the actual captured RAW data. But, when I changed my JPEG filter to Bleach-Bypass and saw my RAW shot come up as bleach-bypass on the camera's LCD - it was one of those Eureka moments lol.

- Andrew
03-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewShirley Quote
I suppose I had always assumed that a minimal JPEG was rendered, something fairly representative of the actual captured RAW data.
I no longer have LR to check -
but in ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) for DNG/RAW files -
under Camera Calibration (tab) for Camera Profile one can select Adobe Standard (camera profile as understood by Adobe), or "Embedded" - which I believe is the stored Pentax profile?

Could the Embedded profile give a better representation matching the embedded JPG,
or paired JPG if RAW+JPG was shot? .....

Last edited by UnknownVT; 03-06-2012 at 11:33 AM.
03-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have to try that... I use LR and only get the "Standard" option.
03-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting are you shooting DNG?
I only have an older version of ACR
(5.6 - because of the version of PS Elements I have)
and it doesn't fully support the K-5 or K-r -
so when I open as Camera RAW the DNGs from either -
I only get the Embedded camera profile -
no Adobe Standard
(since my older version of ACR doesn't support those cameras)
whereas DNGs from my K-x (supported) show both Adobe Standard and Embedded.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 03-06-2012 at 02:15 PM.
03-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm using PEF for its compression. I'll try both.
03-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Using DNG gives me the option to use "Embedded" and "Standard" where-as PEF only gives "Standard". I'm not so sure the 33% increase in size of DNG's is worth it lol

03-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Using DNG gives me the option to use "Embedded" and "Standard" where-as PEF only gives "Standard". I'm not so sure the 33% increase in size of DNG's is worth it lol
I guess that should be an a-ha! moment for me .

PEFs would not have embedded profiles
whereas DNGs do.

Try a couple of test shots where you know the color rendition does make a difference
for direct comparison between PEF and DNG -
see if the Embedded profile of DNG gives you what you want -
if so, then that might be a reason to use DNG?
03-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

And a useful trick to keep in mind is that the image style pre-sets for JPEG processing effect these embedded images. So what I do is deliberately set the contrast really low, so when you are photgraphing a really contrasty scene you get a more accurate view of the areas where you have detail and things have blown out.
03-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Convert the PEF you get with the K10D to DNG with lightroom, LR will compress the RAW even further to 3/4 2/3th of the size and you get the option to change the colourprofile.