Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K20 manual stop down exposure metering

Hello

In full manual mode on the K20 is there any way to assign the stop down exposure metering function to the green button or maybe the AE-L button instead of pulling the power switch on around to the aperture position.

03-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the k20 is like my old k10 or k5, the green button does activate stop-down metering. It should stop-down the lens and adjust the shutter speed to give an accurate exposure based on the camera, then you can adjust as you like. Make sure you have the option in the menu to allow "non-A" lenses.
03-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The green button as it is does just that, selects the proper shutter speed for the selected aperture but it does not display the exposure meter. Pulling the power switch into the aperture position displays the exposure meter and gives you real time exposure adjustment metering using either the lens aperture and or the shutter speed. I'm just wondering if there is a way to the same thing via a button assignment.
03-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what you expect here. In M mode, the Green button stops-down the lens if possible, and meters the light. After metering, you can adjust the exposure by tweaking the shutter speed on the camera, or changing the aperture on the lens. In any Auto mode (Green, P, Sv, Tv, Av, TAv) with a non-AF or non-A-type lens, the camera defaults to Av mode; you adjust the exposure by tweaking ISO or changing the lens aperture. Do you mean you want to make Av mode emulate M mode by allowing Green-button stop-down? I don't think that's possible. See pp. 92 and 95 in your K20D manual to see the Green button options in M and TAv modes.

03-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm looking for another way (while in manual mode) to manual stop down the lens aperture and hold it there while I adjust either the aperture and or the shutter speed while looking at the exposure metering in the view finder. Now I do that while holding the power switch past the on position in aperture or live position. Just wondering if there was a way to set the green button to do the same thing or the AE-L button that I rarely use.
03-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I just do it from the power button. I have the rear dial set to shutter speed in m mode. It makes dialing in an exposure pretty easy. Typically I just use the green button which varies in accuracy, but it is using center weighted metering too....

Just like the film days you get a feel for what exposures should work after a while. My guesses are getting a lot better...