Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Balance between a teaching camera and a backup camera for my K-5

I have this notion of getting a second body to go with my K-5 that will, in theory, serve two purposes. On the one hand I see it as a second body on those occasions when I want to shoot an event and having two cameras would help. On the other hand, I have this "dream" of taking my kids on outings and teaching them a bit about photography (they are aged 12 and under). Maybe it is all an excuse for LBA.

In any event, I had the chance to buy a K100 with kit lens for about $200. It was very tempting, but every time I looked at the specs relative to my K-5, I knew I'd never be happy using it. I have very little knowledge of earlier Pentax DSLR other than what I've read, because my purchase of a K-5 was a bit unexpected (started out as a trip to buy a higher end P&S and then the budget kind of grew exponentially). And there is only so much you can learn from reading specs - it isn't until you have a camera in your hand that you realize which buttons were mis-placed, or if the grip is the right shape etc.

So based on the collective experience here, what would you recommend? One thing I've noticed, at least for Toronto based sellers, is that the price for a used K-x seems to be lower than I'd expect for a relatively recent camera, but the prices for K10, K20 still seem to be quite high.

Thanks in advance - I spend far too much time on these forums because it is such a fun place and I get to learn a lot.

03-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

A "teaching camera" would be something like a K1000 film camera.
Buy a back up for your K5. From a user POV, a DSLR is a DSLR is a DSLR. They are all equally complex.
03-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
But the downside of a film camera is that you need film, and it needs to be processed. A digital SLR gives you instant feedback - something kids can relate to.
And there are a lot of things beyond the digital complexities that you can teach with either style of camera - how to hold the body steady, how to compose a shot, what you need to think about in terms of your position relative to the sun...
03-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A K-x would be an outstanding choice. Mine's still going strong after almost 2 years and over 20k actuations. It's been out in moderate rain, snow storms, got dropped (and submerged) in a semi-frozen swamp and has been quite the trooper. And it takes great photos!

Also - the K100D, if not a "Super" model, is not compatible with SDM and DC lenses.

03-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I support K-x or K-r will be a great choice
03-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K100D is a great camera for a back-up jor a beginner. It has the same sensor as my ist DS plus it has shake reduction (I keep thinking about upgrading to a K100D for that feature). The $200 price with a lens is pretty good. Feel free to take a look at my PPG link in my signature to see what the sensor can do.

Tim
03-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I know its a simple compact, but the new K01 would perhaps not be so intimadating to the kids and is capable of delivering pics as high quality
as the K5. Certainly handy for the size. When not in use, you can leave it in your bag without a lens.

03-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The K-x has no focus point indicators in the viewfinder. It sounds like a minor thing, but enough people complained about it that I wanted to mention it.

The K100D is a decent camera, but embarrassing loud. Not good with birds or in a church, or even in a crowd unless you want people looking at you. That is the only drawback for a kid's DSLR. It would be a good choice, actually (low cost, decent performance).

If you are wanting a true "Backup" - your emergency camera when the K-5 dies - the K100D is not it. But, if the kids truly want to advance and progress, you can lose not much money selling the body perhaps, and getting something more recent and feature-filled at that time.

Or, get another K-5 a trust kids not to drop it, or leave it somewhere.
03-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
But the downside of a film camera is that you need film, and it needs to be processed. A digital SLR gives you instant feedback - something kids can relate to.
And there are a lot of things beyond the digital complexities that you can teach with either style of camera - how to hold the body steady, how to compose a shot, what you need to think about in terms of your position relative to the sun...
You asked what a good teaching camera is. The K1000 is still the best there is.
There are equally downsides to digital regarding learning photography.
Why ask for advice if you are going to shoot it down when people try to give it?
03-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My apologies Wheatfield. I wasn't trying to shoot it down, just clarify my needs. I have no doubt that I could do a lot with a good film camera. I even have a SuperProgram that came with a lens purchase if I wanted to go that route, and an old Minolta Maxxum 9000. But I stopped shooting film a while ago, and it isn't a route I want to pursue. Part of the reason for having a second body is for when I want to shoot events - and if I'm doing this for friends, being able to give them a disc full of images is important.

It is clear I didn't phrase my question all that well - one of the obvious (to me) factors is the tradeoff between the lower cost but lower features of older cameras. I'm trying to find the right balance, while learning about the range of models Pentax made. I can see from some of the answers that this factor wasn't obvious to all.

So again, I apologize if you felt I was shooting you down. Far from it, I just wanted to steer the conversation to be along slightly narrower lines.
03-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Starting out, film cameras are good, but printing costs might just make them an expensive way of teaching photography. A K10D is excellent but if you want image quality at ISO 800 and above you'll need to invest in a K20D or K-x, but the K-x is a less solid camera with no weather sealing if that matters. Even better would be a K-r or indeed another K-5.
03-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #12
Brooke Meyer

Teach principles, the equipment is transient.

The specifics of equipment and technology come and go. Kodak is an example. Understanding exposure, additive and subtractive color, lighting and composition are principles that allow intelligent use of technology, as it comes and goes. I use my K-5s just like a K-1000 except for focus. If I was shooting film or a Point& Shoot, I'd shoot the same way. I sure do like having DNGs instead of spending my life cleaning dust off negatives. That's almost enough to send me back to drawing and painting.
03-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Kx, Kr, K-01 would be good 'advanced' choices.

IMO, any pns will do for now if they are real young.
Teach the non-technical side of photography. (ie. composition; lines; patterns; color; etc )
Eventually you move on to the next latest and greatest, pass the older camera (K5) to your child.
03-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I echo Brooke's point and also agree that an excellent lightweight but versatile choice would be the K-01. The cost, if it's an issue, would make the K-r a more logical choice.
03-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
The K100D is a great camera for a back-up jor a beginner. It has the same sensor as my ist DS plus it has shake reduction (I keep thinking about upgrading to a K100D for that feature). The $200 price with a lens is pretty good. Feel free to take a look at my PPG link in my signature to see what the sensor can do.

Tim
+1...the K-x is obviously better but that K100D 6MP sensor is very good