Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Good article

It was so good to see the article by Johnny McTaggart on the News Page not only because it is inspiring, but also because it was good to see someone make it with the lowly K-r. I realize it is not as much camera as the K-5, and it has had its share of problems for some people, but I have not seen a camera disliked as much--ever. I typically buy a camera when it is going out of production so I can get it at a bargain price because I have a small photography budget. OR I buy the cheaper model. I am sure there are others who do this also. For me, there is always another camera I might want to try, not necessarily to take better photos but for the sheer fun of it. I cannot and will never pluck down over $1000 for a DSLR because buying a DSLR is only half the story. You then need decent lenses to compliment it. My modest photography skills, strictly amateur, do not require it. I have been hanging out lately in the P&S forums where less than $400 buys a popular enthusiast camera that is going out of production, i.e. the Canon G12 and the Panasonic LX5, just for a change of pace. So, for all of us who don't say more here and in the "other" forum, thanks very much for showing that a real-life person would dare to buy a K-r and have some success with it. I am sure with his work he really does need a K-5, and I wish him well.

Darlene, owner of various cameras, some popular, some not, some classics, all fun.

03-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with you, Darlene. It was really nice to see his story, goes to show that it's not the camera, it's the photographer. Glad he's making the best out of what he's got and being very successful at it.

I personally don't think I'd ever pay retail for a camera or lens again. I would probably still be with my K-x if an opportunity hadn't arisen in which I came across a pre-owned K-5 for less than the price of the K-r + 18-55 kit. I'm not that great of a photographer and the K-x was plenty enough for me.
03-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks.

Good for you, Julie. I think the K-5 is a fantastic camera, just more than I need. Glad to see some recognition for the K-r.