Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2008, 07:18 AM   #1

SD memory card for K10

I just bought a K10D and uploaded to my computer my first batch of photos. Later, when attempting to review images on the camera, it seems that they no longer exist on the memory card.

Am I correct in understanding that uploading image files to the computer deletes them from the camera memory card? Or is this just a settting on the camera?

Thank you,

Brucie

01-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In Windows, if you "drag and drop" while holding down the SHIFT key, files are "moved" instead of copied, meaning that they are copied and then deleted. If you "drag and drop" from one device/drive to another without the shift key, they should have only been copied to the new destination.
01-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
I guess that's what happened...thanks for your help, Mike!
01-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

FYI - You can move them back to the SD card and re-preview them on your camera, make changes and all that too..

01-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

How are you downloading the pictures? Sounds like you're actually connecting the camera to your computer with the memory card still in it... If so, what Mike said to you may not be an accurate description to your case.

What software are you using to download the pictures?

There's a lot of software out there that will ask if you wish to remove pictures from the card after a completed transfer to your computer. There are usually options or a prompt that you can enable or disable in those cases.
01-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks again for the suggestions, everyone.

Yes, I connected my camera (containing memory card) to computer and downloaded via the enclosed K10 software (Photo Browser, I think it is?).

Is this the right way to go? Should I go about it differently? I don't recall any prompt asking me if I wanted to retain the photos on the memory card.

Thanks for your suggestions.
01-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brucie Quote

Yes, I connected my camera (containing memory card) to computer and downloaded via the enclosed K10 software (Photo Browser, I think it is?).

Is this the right way to go? Should I go about it differently? I don't recall any prompt asking me if I wanted to retain the photos on the memory card.

A lot of computers have a SD card slot, or you can buy a (small and cheap) USB SD card reader.
With the SANDISK 4Gb Extreme II cards, you'll get an USB SD card reader for free.
I never use the cable connection.
Card readers are so much faster. Put in a reader, the card will work as a removable disk.

- Bert
01-07-2008, 11:44 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
A lot of computers have a SD card slot, or you can buy a (small and cheap) USB SD card reader.
With the SANDISK 4Gb Extreme II cards, you'll get an USB SD card reader for free.
I never use the cable connection.
Card readers are so much faster. Put in a reader, the card will work as a removable disk.

- Bert
I found that using the camera for transferring photos really sucks the life out of the battery very, very quickly. If at all possible do yourself a favor and buy a SDHC card reader. They should be available at computer specialty shops for anywhere between 20-30 dollars.

01-07-2008, 11:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

That's certainly not a wrong way to do it Using the provided equipment to download pictures is fine, don't let people pursuade you otherwise when you don't see a need for it. So unless the additional speed of a card reader is a necessity (or an appreciated luxury), I would just stick with what you're doing.

I would check through the preferences and options of the photo browser software as I'm almost 100% sure there's a setting somewhere for the (deleted pictures from card after download) behavior. I personally don't use it (never installed even), so it's hard for me to provide you with step by step instructions.
01-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Last night I pulled the memory card from the computer and instaleld it into my computer (there is a memory card slot on the face, which I had never used before). It seems to work fine. Transferring photos to the computer seems to delete them from the card, but that's all right with me, as it saves me from having to delete them from the card.

But now it seems that my camera may be one affected with this tilted viewfinder business. A few of my photos reveal leaning subjects and I didn't think that my eyes or composition skills were this bad.

I'll look closely at this tonight to see if this is the case. The girl who sold me the camera told me to use it and take lots of photos before sending in the rebate bring it back and exchange it. Maybe she already knew about this problem.

We'll see.
01-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone. Last night I pulled the memory card from the computer and instaleld it into my computer (there is a memory card slot on the face, which I had never used before). It seems to work fine. Transferring photos to the computer seems to delete them from the card, but that's all right with me, as it saves me from having to delete them from the card.

But now it seems that my camera may be one affected with this tilted viewfinder business. A few of my photos reveal leaning subjects and I didn't think that my eyes or composition skills were this bad.

I'll look closely at this tonight to see if this is the case. The girl who sold me the camera told me to use it and take lots of photos before sending in the rebate bring it back and exchange it. Maybe she already knew about this problem.

We'll see.
Copying from your SD card should not delete the photos.
You probably drag & drop, cut & paste your photos.
Open the device as a disk, select the photos you want to copy.
Then make sure to use Copy (Cntrl C) and Paste (Cntrl V) your photos.

Also you can use whatever kind of Photo editing tool to "import" your photos.
I use Lightroom and are very happy with it.

- Bert