Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-7 and K-5 both run on AA batteries. (in the grip)

03-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Nope, no grips. Just 4 AA's n the camera. Otherwise I stay put Pentax.
03-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated. I can easily see that the consensus is that I should take the plunge and upgrade from my *istD to the K-5.

My idea about an upgrade got started when my daughter and I spent part of a day taking the same photos side by side and then comparing the results, she using her new Nikon D5100 and me my *istD. We stuck with totally automatic for comparison purposes, built in flash, similar lens power. When we looked at the results I was shocked to see how much better her photos were than mine. This was what put my mind in motion. Originally I was sure that my *istD was able to shoot photos similar in quality to the Nikon but I was wrong.

My question to you all is would you rate the K-5 on a par with the Nikon D5100?

I知 also anxious to know what Pentax/Ricoh plans to do with their cameras. I知 not interested in a FF camera as I知 not willing to make that kind of investment. As Adam says, maybe I should wait and see what happens in the next six months to a year. But in reading your forum, it seems that that is totally up in the air.

Another issue is that I知 not able to go to a brick & mortar store and look at and touch a K-5 as it seems that during this transitional period there are no Pentax 電ealers in my area (Seattle, WA). For someone who likes to look and touch, it is difficult to deal with on-line sellers.

Thanks again,
Steve
03-24-2012, 05:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Note that not all camera makers share the same thoughts about joeg settings and what looks pleasing to the eye is very subjective. You may be somewhat swayed in your thinking because Pentax jpegs are a little flat compared to Nikon or canon who boost saturation and contrast.

Having said that, when I got my *istD my BIL had a Nikon that used the same sensor. Both cameras produced identical images, but that was over 8years ago. The *istD is still a great little camera, but I can also attest that the K5 is in every way except flash, infinitely superior
The *istD can do a lot more in flash than any other body, and I am not just discussing having dual TTL and P-TTL modes, but also the fact that the in body flash can be used to slave other flashed even in high speed sync

03-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #20

Original Poster
More my *istD

As a side note; even though I talk about the Nikon D5100 in my last post, my interest is in comparisons only between it and the K-5. I have no intention of switching as I have a long and successful experience with Pentax cameras. I also have a fairly good selection of Pentax lenses and accessories that I'm not willing to give up.
Steve
03-25-2012, 03:53 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Trust me Steve, If you do want to trade up, the K-5 will not disappoint.