Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 01:29 AM   #1

My *istD

Be patient with me, I'm new. I have a Pentax *istD that I bought new in Oct. 2003. I loved it then, I love it now Over the years I have collected a nice collection of lenses and accessories that I love and use regularly. However, I'm getting a case of up-grade-itis, would like to stay with Pentax but I have some questions. I'm considering a K-5 so that I could keep all my lenses which makes sense. But in your opinions, will I see that much of an improvement in quality between my *istD and a K-5? My photos are mostly printed to a maximum size of 8" x 10". Most never go beyond being placed in a folder on my computer. I don't care about "live view" as I don't think you can get much more live than real time through my view finder. I don't care about video as if I want video I woll use a video only camera. I don't care about weather proof as I carry plastic bags and an umbrella. I realize that a K-5 has a lot of bells and whistles but my main interest is the finished product, the photo I see. I love to shoot as much as I can but I admit I'm a dinosaur and have some pretty basic needs and interests.
Any opinions are most welcomed.

Steve-Seattle

03-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the image quality will be much, much better. Three times the resolution and several more stops of dynamic range means that even small photos will look better

Now, later this year we will likely see a replacement for the K-5, and rumors have it that a full-frame is on the way itself. I wouldn't wait for this, but it's just something to keep in mind when making long-term brand plans.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm also a dinosaur...

K-5 is the first camera in ages to change my shooting. It permits doing things I cannot do with neither *istDS, K20D or K-7.
And even if you don't enlarge them more than so, you will see better sharpness, contrast, and better low light performance. It is also a joy to use due to how it handles.
03-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The K5 is a real upgrade to the *istD but don't let then*istD go. It can do some flash things that theK5 can't. But the high ISO of the K5 is much better. I have the *istD K10, K7 and K5 so I can tell you the K5 is certainly better

03-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Forum Member

Exactly the upgrade I ade. Do it!
03-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I upgraded from an *istDS to a K5. The difference when I first held it was shocked by how big the K5 was in comparison but once I started using it, I loved it. The first picture I took with the K5 was in my hotel room (got my K5 just as I left on a business trip) with the worst lighting I've ever seen in a kitchen. The K5 took the picture in that lousy lighting like a champ, without the flash; I never would have tried that with my *istDS.

I highly recommend the upgrade. You'll wonder why you waited so long. The only downside I've had is it started me on a mini-LBA rampage for the FA primes so I could take advantage of K5's capabilities.
03-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I would say Yes, you will notice a much better picture, I still have and use my *istD all the time, lovethe bugger, but the K-5 is doing things the *istD struggled at. And with the prices around now an affordable upgrade.
03-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I love the *istD but where I used to feel the need for more is with the memory buffer, auto focus speed and ISO performance.

You can get a hugh upgrade in performance over the *istD without going with the k-5. You could always get a K-x? You can find these cameras barely used for cheap these days.

03-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I was also shooting with istD since 2003, it is a very nice camera. What you will really enjoy in K5 compared to istD is improved ISO range, overall speed of the camera, and excellent LCD. Do not underestimate Live View, I was skeptical about it at first, but it is being helpful in certain situations.
03-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I still own my 2 *istD cameras...they served me well. My K5 and K10 are the only Digital cameras that I have loved as much as the *istD. The K5 will be an excellent replacement!
03-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
I love the *istD but where I used to feel the need for more is with the memory buffer, auto focus speed and ISO performance.

You can get a hugh upgrade in performance over the *istD without going with the k-5. You could always get a K-x? You can find these cameras barely used for cheap these days.
+1 on the buffer speed. On a plug for the *istD, it is a good dSLR to use with m42 lenses.
03-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stpistd Quote
I'm considering a K-5 so that I could keep all my lenses which makes sense. But in your opinions, will I see that much of an improvement in quality between my *istD and a K-5? My photos are mostly printed to a maximum size of 8" x 10". Most never go beyond being placed in a folder on my computer.
There is your answer, sir. 16mp is quite big for 8" x 10" prints and everything else is a mile or two better than the *istD. I have a K-x (released in 2009) and the K-5 is still a long way better than it.
If you can get a K-5, get one, you won't regret it!

The only thing you'll lose is TTL flash function.. because the K-5 supports only P-TTL.
03-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
There is your answer, sir. 16mp is quite big for 8" x 10" prints and everything else is a mile or two better than the *istD. I have a K-x (released in 2009) and the K-5 is still a long way better than it.
If you can get a K-5, get one, you won't regret it!

The only thing you'll lose is TTL flash function.. because the K-5 supports only P-TTL.
Don't underestimate the ttl if you want to use flash with m42 Takumar lenses. Plus, the viewfinder on the *istD is a pentaprism which I like better than any of the pentamirror bodies, i.e. K-x, K-m etc. Of course the viewfinder wouldn't be an issue on the K-5. The body is small on the *istD as well. The K-5 is leaps ahead of the *istD. I am just saying don't underestimate the latter's usefulness.
03-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I never mentioned getting rid of the *istD in my post, and I agree that TTL is very useful (actually I wish Pentax never removed that feature). But for all the other features between the two cameras, it's the only drawback for the K-5. Of course it's still best for the OP to keep the *istD until it stops working, or use it as a backup.
03-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have *ist, KX, K2000's. They are plenty sharp for me. Am in the same boat as the OP. Seldom make prints. If I do they are small. It is 99.9% monitor viewing for me. Am happy with what I got.

I wont buy any Pentax upgrades if they wont run on AA batts.

But...if Pentax comes out with a FF that runs on 4 AA batts...will buy 2 or 3 of them and retire the others to ebay.

Last edited by slackercruster; 03-21-2012 at 02:43 PM.