Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-x e-dial not working

(I had posted this in the *istD thread and no replies. So posting on a separate thread for help)

Of late, the e-dial is not working on my K-x. It happened once before and after some time, it got fixed by itself. But this time, the e-dial is not working anymore. So, no zooming in playback or more importantly, can't change many of the settings. So, using it as a P&S camera now.
I am in India and there are no authorized service centers. I tried my luck with general camera repair shop and they opened and cleaned but still no use and they wouldn't touch the electronics. I have to send it to Singapore to get it fixed, I think.
In the meanwhile, is there any way that the function of the e-dial can be assigned to any other key, for example the left and right arrow buttons? We can get into Debug mode and do something there? Thanks

03-12-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
Inactive Account

This is a common problem; I had it myself. The cause appears to be that too much lube was added during manufacture and it shorts out the contacts. All you need to do is to squirt some contact cleaner - making sure it's the stuff that leaves no residue and contains no oil - into the slot around the dial and rotate it a few times. That's it, simple and cheap as that. I did it to mine about a year ago and it's worked perfectly ever since. I see you're in India so probably won't have a Maplin near you, but this is the one I used for reference. PCB Cleaner : Electronics Cleaners : Maplin Electronics. Great stuff to have anyway as it'll remove all kinds of crud from most things. Smells like dry cleaning fluid so is best used outdoors I'd imagine.
03-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #3

Seriously? I sent mine in for repair and they put a new top on it! A little more expensive than squirting some Board cleaner! Damn! Glad you've found a cheap fix. Hope it works out for the op.
04-12-2022, 11:18 AM   #4

e-dial quick fix

Hi,
I just bought a pristine K-m, but alas, the e-dial would not always work.
Thanks to a contributor on this forum, I tried his simple suggestion - just use a rocket blower to blow air in around the e-dial a few times and Hallelujah...it worked!!
Now the e-dial is functioning properly.
Hope this may help some others on this wonderful forum.
All the best,
Angus