Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

K10d firmware

I just got a new k10d two weeks ago. Merry Xmas to me! I was wondering, however, how can I find out what version of the firmware the camera is running?

Thanks all, for your help.

01-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dresden_phoenix Quote
I just got a new k10d two weeks ago. Merry Xmas to me! I was wondering, however, how can I find out what version of the firmware the camera is running?

Thanks all, for your help.
Lucky you, you've got a great camera!

Press the menu button while swithing camera on.
The revision should be in the display.

However there is no need to check since all cameras are always shipped with revision 1.0.
Various discussions on this forum have wondered why.
The general opinion is that Pentax should have to reprint all manuals since the newer firmware has more functionality, user settings etc.
Get 1.3 and enjoy the extras.

- Bert
01-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #3

Just switch the K10D on while holding down the menu button and the version number will be displayed. If it is v1.00 it is worth upgrading to v1.3 as you get the extra wireless flash function and you can use SDM lenses if you can afford them!

Archie
01-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by helios Quote
Just switch the K10D on while holding down the menu button and the version number will be displayed. If it is v1.00 it is worth upgrading to v1.3 as you get the extra wireless flash function and you can use SDM lenses if you can afford them!
And the ability to set one of the dials to ISO in Av and Tv modes, which has the side-effect of making ISO display in the viewfinder at all times, which is the main reason I use Av instead of hyperprogram.

01-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
And the ability to set one of the dials to ISO in Av and Tv modes, which has the side-effect of making ISO display in the viewfinder at all times, which is the main reason I use Av instead of hyperprogram.
And the [OK] button + front eDial will change ISO.
01-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #6

Hi there, I also have recently purchased a K10D and it does indeed have V1.0. What is the process for upgrading the Firmware to v 1.3 ?
Thanks heaps,
Mike
01-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Basically download it, install it on an SD card, pop it in and turn it on. The instructions are on the site.

01-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mike star Quote
Hi there, I also have recently purchased a K10D and it does indeed have V1.0. What is the process for upgrading the Firmware to v 1.3 ?
Thanks heaps,
Mike
here ya go Mike, here is the page with the
firmware, and the instructions on how to install it, make SURE you follow the directions to a "T" doing it wrong could result in a "K10D paperweight" lol

Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates
01-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #9

Firmware Upgrade V1.3

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
here ya go Mike, here is the page with the
firmware, and the instructions on how to install it, make SURE you follow the directions to a "T" doing it wrong could result in a "K10D paperweight" lol

Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates
Thanks very much Stratman. I'll probably do the upgrade when I come back from a 2 week vacationstarting this Saturday. I think I'll leave well enough alone until then.

Cheers,
Mike
01-08-2008, 06:03 AM   #10
Forum Member

i was definatley spoilt when i got my k10D - the guy in the camera shop has the same camera and he had a sd card with the new firmware on it in his pocket and when i was buying it asked me if i wanted to go download and install the firmware myself or if i would like him to do it for me...

so i got it with the new firmware on it straight from the shop

i gotta say i was stoked - not cause it would be hard to do but because it was just one more bit of the UBER HELPFULLNESS of the guys at the shop... they sure did know their stuff... and were plenty helpfull
01-08-2008, 06:04 AM   #11
Forum Member

i was definatley spoilt when i got my k10D - the guy in the camera shop has the same camera and he had a sd card with the new firmware on it in his pocket and when i was buying it asked me if i wanted to go download and install the firmware myself or if i would like him to do it for me...

so i got it with the new firmware on it straight from the shop

i gotta say i was stoked - not cause it would be hard to do but because it was just one more bit of the UBER HELPFULLNESS of the guys at the shop... they sure did know their stuff... and were plenty helpfull
01-08-2008, 06:20 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
And the [OK] button + front eDial will change ISO.
I installed the upgrade without even knowing about that- it totally rocks! Thanks for the tip
01-08-2008, 06:27 AM   #13
Inactive Account

OR you can configure the front dial to change the ISO without needing to press the OK button. My main shooting mode is Av, with rear dial for aperture, and front dial for ISO. Love it!
01-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #14

it also seems to have made the exposure compensation stay in the top screen full time.
01-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #15

I bought one new on Saturday and it came with 1.3 already installed.