Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

Out of box Pentax software

Does anyone use the PP software that comes with DSLR's? I have a 100d I got back March. Have been using Picasa but looking at playing with RAW. Is the software that comes with the camera any good or would I just be wasting time? I really dont want to drop $100 on PS.

thanks

01-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Seafood Quote
Does anyone use the PP software that comes with DSLR's? I have a 100d I got back March. Have been using Picasa but looking at playing with RAW. Is the software that comes with the camera any good or would I just be wasting time? I really dont want to drop $100 on PS.

thanks
It's fine. I have never used Picasa, so I cannot compare them. The Pentax editing software is (as it says on the package) SilkyPix, which is a good low level post processor.
01-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Seafood,
Picasa will convert Pentax raw to jpeg --not real fast but it does a pretty good job. You can also get Faststone for free on the web and it will convert raw also
01-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The Pentax interface sucks and it's a bit slow, but it does ok. Picasa does ok and is easier to use, but doesn't have quite as many options. If all I need is a simple conversion, I go with Picasa. I only use the Pentax if I need to use the extra stuff.

01-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

take a look at raw therapee (Raw Therapee - News) it is slowish but good and free
01-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Picasa is actually better than it looks. Not nearly good enough, but pretty good, for folks who just want to make quick adjustments to color balance, contrast, etc.

The problem with Picasa for processing raw files is that it cannot read the EXIF data. You can supplement it with a program like PhotoME or Exifer, but the truth is that Picasa was designed for jpegs, not raw processing.
01-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It's a bit clunky but functional. It's all I use, or need, for converting.

01-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Picasa is good, however not as versatile as many other packages.
Picasa is faster and easier than most software and it is for free.
Not bad at all!

The K10D in camera jpeg conversion has its limits. See the many reviews on the web.
The Pentax software uses the same conversion algorithms, so there is no advantage over the in camera raw conversion option (which is a rather unique feature by the way).

Try Lightroom (no, I have no Adobe stock

- Bert
01-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you don't have any preconceived notions about how a raw converter should work, then the Pentax Photolab interface shouldn't bother you. It's not that it's bad (IMHO), it's that it's completely different from just about every other raw converter (except Silky Pix).

As for the conversion, it's generally regarded to do a better job than most at the conversion (as it should, coming from the manufacturer). It doesn't have the fine control that programs like Adobe has, but the results are generally good. I find that it's much quicker than Photoshop Elements 5, or Lightroom, but the Adobe programs have many more options if you really want to get the absolute best from your shots.
01-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
Forum Member

unfortunatley i am stuck on iphoto as my camera did come with software - but the cd/dvd drive on my computer is dead - i would love to get the software on my mac but without the drive working its going to be a little difficult...
01-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JrPentax Quote
unfortunatley i am stuck on iphoto as my camera did come with software - but the cd/dvd drive on my computer is dead - i would love to get the software on my mac but without the drive working its going to be a little difficult...
How about putting it on a USB thumb drive at a friends or relatives house?
01-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #12

I love the Pentax Photo Lab software for RAW conversion. I use it for conversion, even though I import and preview my RAW's with Picasa to decide what's worth converting.

-Chris
01-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #13
Forum Member

i THOUGHT i was the only mac user i knew - but i just found out i am not - so i am going to do your suggestion jodokast96

thanks for that idea - all it took was to ask around - know anyone with a mac...

:-)
01-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #14

Try Irfanview + DCRaw. Works great together. Not much to tweak, but does a great conversion.
01-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I started using the pentax software then switched to Picasso to get more options. I tried GIMP with some raw conversion plugin but I never got the hang of it and went through quite a few hours of working with tutorials. I have been trying the trial version of Capture One and now Lightroom for raw conversion to give me more options. I like Lightroom best and will probably get it. I like the ability of either Capture One and Lightroom to give you more options of pulling details out of darker areas and reducing the burnout of highlight areas. Also in LR more control over individual colors for saturation. Kinda of fun to play with these. I have not tried PS Elements yet although do plan on doing so. Hopefully my initial photographs are good enough where I really don't have to go to layers to extract information. Those processes don't seem like fun.