Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great ebay deal ...

I've been looking for another body just have in my vehicle at all times.
I liked the k2000 and I figured I could find one cheap. Found one on eBay and won the whole kit with two lenses for $260. Ok deal if the shutter count isn't too high... I opened the package and immediately snapped a photo and opened it with PhotoME.. shutter count: 657!

Darn thing is new! Once I sell the lenses, thats a final price of around $130 ...

Last edited by skid2964; 03-13-2012 at 11:49 AM.
03-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$130 for a K-m is definitely a steal, even though the camera is really quite basic is some ways.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had one back in '09 and upgraded to a K-x but I was always impressed with the K2000's rich colors and lightweight. It will make a great camera to keep on hand in my truck....
03-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Can't complain too much can you. Great find.

03-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on the amazing deal! I really enjoyed my K-m.
03-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
Forum Member

I had a similar experience with a K-x.
My best guess is that some people buy a camera that has good reviews, and discover that they don't know how to use it.
Learn or sell? Some learn. Some sell.
I've seen the same thing with firearms and motorized vehicles.
If I can talk them out of making an inapropriate purchase, I will.
If I can't, someone may get a good deal soon afterwards.

Kurt

PS Does anyone know of someone interested in a slightly used XYZ Rocket Parachute?
How about turbo SCUBA gear?
03-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The American Way

QuoteOriginally posted by Kurt Atlas Quote
Learn or sell? Some learn. Some sell.
Craigslist in a major metroplitan area in the US of A is your friend. There is always someone that is willing to practically give something away just because of their own impatience, and/or the fact that they over consumed and have a surplus. You just have to be a low flying vulture to snap it up.

03-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Craigslist in a major metroplitan area in the US of A is your friend. There is always someone that is willing to practically give something away just because of their own impatience, and/or the fact that they over consumed and have a surplus. You just have to be a low flying vulture to snap it up.
There are also idiots and thieves on Craigslist so you have to a) know what you are buying, b) know what it goes for regularly, and c) be careful.

1 example locally:
$600
I'm selling an awesome K20D kit with 13k actuations. K20D, come with all utilities included 2 battery, pentax OEM vertical grip , screen protector attached, wireless remote, one 4gig memory card, k20 magic lantern book and manual, working properly- the whole condition is great.
The prices above show what I paid. I have over $900 invested in this kit.
03-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
and have patience, i'm watching a Q with 3 lenses locally he drops the price every week or so, it started at $750 and is now $550, so far i've resisted but if it hit's $450 i may cave (a Q is not even close to the top of my camera want list but sometimes the offer get's too good)
03-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
There are also idiots and thieves on Craigslist...
Don't forget the murderers. The last thing that I want is my throat slit when I go pick up an A prime.
03-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
There are also idiots and thieves on Craigslist so you have to a) know what you are buying, b) know what it goes for regularly, and c) be careful.

1 example locally:
$600
I'm selling an awesome K20D kit with 13k actuations. K20D, come with all utilities included 2 battery, pentax OEM vertical grip , screen protector attached, wireless remote, one 4gig memory card, k20 magic lantern book and manual, working properly- the whole condition is great.
The prices above show what I paid. I have over $900 invested in this kit.
I see lot's of over valued stuff too, it sits for ever and never sells
no different than ebay buy it now prices
03-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Lucky dog!!
03-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For craigslist I always bring a friend or a gun, or depending on the area both. For ebay I've learned to only use reliable sellers with returns accepted if it has issues.
03-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #14

I got my K-r brand new in the box with two lens kit (18-55 and 50-200) for $450 on Ebay. It had a Buy it Now price of $600. But it had a "Make Offer" tab as well......so I offered $500. The offer was accepted and I had a $50 off coupon. Final price $450 with free shipping. Absolutely the best value for the quality of products......of anything I have ever purchased. Mine does not have the tungsten light problem, and both lenses are excellent copies (esp. the much maligned 50-200).

Also, just recently won a new Sigma APO 70-300mm for $80 (just been shipped). Absolutely love the 50-200 Pentax, but wanted the extra reach. Reviews are mixed on this lens, but some think it is on par with the 55-300 Pentax......doubtful I could find one of those for anywhere near $80 new.

Ebay is awesome. I wouldn't have half the stuff I own without it......photography related or otherwise. Patience is key, as well as only going for the higher rated sellers.
03-24-2012, 03:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Should I mention my basic rules of eBay buying?

* Bid low; bid often; lose 99% of auctions; don't worry, another will come along immediately.
* If it costs less than a sandwich, buy it; if it costs more than a supreme pizza, think about it.
* When in doubt, buy it. If you don't like it, wait a couple months and sell it for a good profit.

I'll return to my home base in a few weeks and will be back in the action. Watch out!