Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
This statement may not be entirely true:"WB has no effect on RAW files".

Shortly after the release of the K10 some folks over at DP
Review did some testing that seemed to show that WB was affecting the RAW data. In particular the red channel could be shifted significantly by shifting the WB preset. Green and blue channels had smaller shifts. The testing procedure was complex and convoluted, many questions remained and went largely unanswered.

A single fact remained: Few and perhaps no end users know the exact content of the RAW image data; backing up one step, none seem to know the details of how the data is generated. Specifically if the WB is a factor or not.
Yep loved those discussions ... not...!
Anyways Gordonbgood's bottom line: The WB may have small effects on RAW files PRIOR to the k10.
k10 is supposed to be free of said trickery........
Re: RAW Tone Curves: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by jeffkrol; 01-08-2008 at 08:41 PM.
01-08-2008, 09:16 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xandy Quote
Will this work also on K100D and should recording be in Raw or JPG when doing this adjustment ? Thank you.

andy
I don't know if this works on the K100D, but the LCD is a jpeg conversion when you are shooting RAW, so no difference to the technique.

I was unaware of a previous poster's reference to a study that changing the white balance on a k10d actually modified the colour channels - I will have to go out to DPReview and dig that one up. It sounds a bit far fetched, but Pentax has been known to sneak interesting things into the system without mentioning them. If this is true, I will pay a LOT more attention to my white balance settings.
01-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just went out to the forum thread quoted, and the reading I did suggests that the effect of WB settings on RAW images is negligeable. This is what I expected from the limited study I have done - RAW is the basic sensor output, modified only by the Camera maker's in camera smoothing and other such tweaks. Thankfully, the k10d does very little smoothing, which leaves us a lot of detail to work with.
01-09-2008, 12:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I went much further back with ths discussion-perhaps the beginning (vortout). The discussion was about the K100 not the K10. Even ran the Russian fellows little applets. I haven't been to DPR since late June 07 for more than just a few minutes, general looking so I missed this later work. I knew what Gorden and Ed were up to, but frankly I had already made some conclusions of my own:These guys are talented amateurs intent on 'numbering' the camera to obsessive levels--actual picture taking is secondary to all the pixel hacking and peeping. In general they are working from a self serving set of assumptions whose validity cannot be ascertained.

Very shortly after getting my K10 I had the good fortune to speak face to face with a highly-placed Pentax employee. Someone who knows enough engineering speak to understand what is being discussed. He is also an accomplished photographer in his own right. I don't have permission to use his name-don't like name dropping as a general rule anyway. We briefly discussed the DPR/vortout thread, the VPN threads, general 'flaws' like the flash issue, the cracked body issue and a few others both from the forums and elsewhere. It was very friendly and informal and I didn't take notes.

WRT to the WB issue; advise was "when in doubt, do a custom WB, even in RAW.

I've made no deep or definitive studies, run no experiments. I do enough of that crap for real at another job. I do take a significant number of photographs. And I trust my gut feelings. I get better results with spot custom white balance than with any of the presets--I spend less time in post--I like what comes out of the camera a lot better. It's a simple, fast procedure much like praying. It's my time to waste and if it turns out I wasted both WB and prayer what will it matter? On the other hand if I don't WB and pray and both ARE necessary think of the pile of poo I'll be in if I did neither!

QUOTE=jeffkrol;148794]Yep loved those discussions ... not...!
Anyways Gordonbgood's bottom line: The WB may have small effects on RAW files PRIOR to the k10.
k10 is supposed to be free of said trickery........
Re: RAW Tone Curves: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review[/QUOTE]