Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #1

K-x remote control feedback

I am considering the Pentax K-x for my digital SLR needs, but it is my understanding that there is no rear-facing remote sensor. Instead, it is on the front of the camera body. One of my major considerations is the ability to shoot via remote. So I am wondering what experiences, positive or negative, that K-x users have had using the remote function. And is there a way that the K-x remote can be set up so it can be fired from behind the camera? Or at least a non-convoluted way of doing so.

Just wondering why the Pentax K-x was set up without a rear sensor remote feature that is common on many other digital SLRs, since it seems like the most logical and useful place to put it. I do not use the remote function extensively, so maybe I am missing something that another more experienced shooter can fill me in on. Many thanks. Great user forum, BTW.

Gary

03-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I think it was set up the way it is to facilitate taking self-portraits, or group shots that include the photographer.

The lack of the rear sensor and the lack of a wired remote are probably to differentiate the K-x from the more-expensive K-7, which includes both.

As far as rigging up mirrors or something to allow the IR remote to be used from behind the camera, I can't help you. I've never read of anyone finding a really successful way of doing that.
03-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used my K-x for a lot of macro work involving the remote. It's very easy to do and any reflective surface within a few feet of the front of the camera can work to bounce the IR signal to the sensor without too many worries. The inexpensive IR remotes available online for <$8 work fine (I have two different models and each works well but the one with fewer buttons is better IMHO as the battery is not drained accidentally in storage).
03-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. I have heard anecdotaly of people setting up mirrors to accomplish the feat, but it seems like a lot of work to accomplish an otherwise simple task. Unless someone out there has a good experience doing so, please let me know. I am thinking in terms of taking remote shots outdoors of birds and other wildlife (NOT tigers and lions). In that context I wanted to be able to set up the camera and then stand back away from the scene to take the shot remotely that I wanted. It's hard to hide from a creature when one is standing in FRONT of the camera! Maybe it's just a matter of biting the bullet and spending more money on a different model. But when your cheap it's hard to bite that bullet .

03-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stardog Quote
Thanks for the feedback. I have heard anecdotaly of people setting up mirrors to accomplish the feat, but it seems like a lot of work to accomplish an otherwise simple task. Unless someone out there has a good experience doing so, please let me know. I am thinking in terms of taking remote shots outdoors of birds and other wildlife (NOT tigers and lions). In that context I wanted to be able to set up the camera and then stand back away from the scene to take the shot remotely that I wanted. It's hard to hide from a creature when one is standing in FRONT of the camera! Maybe it's just a matter of biting the bullet and spending more money on a different model. But when your cheap it's hard to bite that bullet .
I've done what you intend with a small piece of foil in front of the camera. The real problem is that the IR remotes are not that strong and full daylight can minimize their effectiveness at distance, but that would be the same for either the K-x/r or the K-5/7.
03-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
I have access to a K-x so maybe I'll do some experimenting this weekend with some sort of reflective set up. Can only learn by doing as they say. Thanks for the reply.
03-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stardog Quote
I have access to a K-x so maybe I'll do some experimenting this weekend with some sort of reflective set up. Can only learn by doing as they say. Thanks for the reply.
Good luck, and have fun.