Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Old lenses new K10D

Hello to Pentax Forum

This is my first post on the Pentax Forum.
I just bought the Pentax K10D and have old lenses Pentax, Ricoh and Vivitar that I used on a K1000 and Ricoh KR-5 super. All lenses have the good METAL K mounts and all adjustments via aperture and focus are manual no contact pins and no A position on the aperture rings.
The K10D has all of those Lens information contacts and the AF coupler contacts on the camera body lens mounting ring.
The manual says I can use my old lenses but it didnít say anything about the metal lens mount coming in contact with all the lens information contacts.
I mounted my Pentax lens on the camera and it went on and off just fine, but I didnít turn the camera on.
My question is could the metal ring on the lens mount short out the lens information contacts and damage the camera?

Thanks
Dmick

01-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No worries, they work. Be careful with the Ricoh lenses though. Some of them have a pin that will let the lens go on, but not come off.
01-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
No worries, they work. Be careful with the Ricoh lenses though. Some of them have a pin that will let the lens go on, but not come off.
There are also some mounting problems with a large flange on the lens mount. The consensus seems to be to undo the three screws that hold the flange on and remove it. Some then modify the flange with a grinder and put it back on, presumably to prevent not nice things getting into the lens.
01-09-2008, 12:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You also have to change a setting in the camera, something like Ēallow aperture ringĒ or something. Donít remember the exact phrase, but you have to change it to make it work. (You donít have to change it back when using newer lenses, so way this switch exist is beyond me.)

01-09-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

In the K100D it is:
- Menu C set to use aperture ring
- Lens in MF
- Menu C -> AE-L Button in M mode -> set to Av
01-10-2008, 12:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here is the link to a detailed explanation of what is required.

K100D (Super) Pictorial guide to using manual lenses [imgs]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Dave
01-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Hi Dmick,

Using old lenses on the Pentax works fine !
If the lenses have a K-mount, I think it's always safe to use them on the K10D,
regardless of the electrical contacts (someone else, correct me if I'm wrong...).

Some useful remarks:
- Like described above for the K100, you also need to allow use of aperture ring by changing
a setting in the menu of the K10D.
- Focal length cannot be detected by the K10D for these older lenses.
- Aperture value cannot be detected/controlled by the K10D if the lens doesn't have a A-position.
- When turning on the camera with SR enabled, it will ask for the focal length. This is VERY usefull for primes (and less usefull for zooms).
- Pressing the button with the green dot (next to the shutter-release-button), closes the aperture to the value selected on your lens. This is great for 2 reasons :
1. DOF preview
2. The K10D will automatically adjust shutter time to match the aperture/ISO you have set.

Hope this clears things up a bit...

Z.
01-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
thanks mate, really usefull guide

02-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Is this the same in the K20/200?