Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #1

Budget vs MegaPixel

Hi, new to the forum and to digital, but not to SLR photography.

My ZX-M film SLR died several years ago, and haven't had the budget to replace it. We have a couple of digital point and shoots that are around 12mp. I am looking at a K100D as a budget replacement and entry into DSLRs. Will I be disappointed in the 6mp of the K100D? Or will the SLR functionality outweigh the lower MegaPixel count? I'm not looking to print any wall sized prints or anything, just good SLR images.

Thanks!

Richie

03-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can get very nice results with 6 MP, assuming you don't crop way down to the center. Most images on PC screens are around 1 MP, so normal viewing won't see a big difference.
03-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a K110D user

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
You can get very nice results with 6 MP, assuming you don't crop way down to the center. Most images on PC screens are around 1 MP, so normal viewing won't see a big difference.
Bonjour,

I've had a K110D for over five years and it puts out good "happy snap" type photos. As you may know the K110D is a K100D without SR.

I used it a longtime for general family pic's and some laid back photography, etc. Until the beginning of last year, the 6 MPix was fine for my needs (... then I first upgrade to a K-r). As mentioned by Tom, if you don't crop, or crop very little, it's fine IMHO.

Here's the links the the PF reviews of these two DSLR's:

Pentax K100D - Digital SLRs - Pentax Camera Database and Reviews

Pentax K110D - Digital SLRs - Pentax Camera Database and Reviews

Hope this helps some ... Allez et salut - John le Frog
03-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The IQ itself from the 6MP cameras is fine, and usually the resolution is adequate as well (though it's not so hot if you're shooting landscapes or panos).

The main issue with these older cameras is that they lack many features that new ones have, both in the menu when shooting. To name a few: high ISO capabilities, high framerates, the info screen, live view/video, and in-camera lens correction.

If you can afford it, I would try starting out with the K-x. It should be available in the high $200's/low $300's used.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

6mp is enough for decent size print, wall-size doesn't mean much because how big is the wall?

Any thing to note with the K100D is that it doesn't support SDM/DC/HSM focusing so newer lenses with build in focusing motor will not work with this camera, the lens will work not the auto focusing.
It might be better to look for the K100D super, this an upgrade version of the K100D and it support the new features.
Don't know how big your budget is but the K200D is a very nice camera and from what i see not much more expensive.
03-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Richie,

It is hard to equate the MP value of a P&S versus a DSLR. Using A 6mp DSLR with a good lens, you can "pixel-peep" an image at 100% and the image will look good. With most P&S cameras this is not the case, and I've found that I need to look at an image @ 50% in order for it to look OK.
03-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I bot 6 Pentax bodies in the 6 - 12 mp range. Bought them used for $140 to $285 per body. All low shutter count stuff...600 to 4000 range. I love em. But, with the kit lens they are about as good as some of the better PS cams. (Although the Pentax has much better tonal range than the PS.) To unleash Pentax's true worth, you got to get some good glass and not just the cheapo kit lens.

The reason I have so many bodies is I treat them as disposable cameras. I also only shoot cameras that run on AA batts. Since Pentax discontinued support for AA's I've never moved on to their better dslr's. And I suspect I never will either...as long as they never support a dslr that runs on 4 AA's I'll stick with what I got. And I've got a good supply to last me for many years.

If all your going to do is look at photos on your computer you can get nice results with a $ 75 PS cheapy from Walmart. These were taken with a Kodak PS...set at 1.1mp!

Last edited by slackercruster; 03-17-2012 at 12:00 PM.
03-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As someone who has experience with a K100D, *istDS, and two K-x's I can tell you that you shouldn't be disappointed with the K100D. It's a great camera, capable of producing excellent images. I upgraded to the K-x mostly for the improved high ISO performance and added resolution that allows for tighter crops. Unless you do a lot of shooting in dark conditions, or need to crop aggressively, the K100D should work out very well for you.

Unless you're planning on spending megabucks on SDM lenses, I wouldn't worry much about lens compatibility, either. The K100D works with any standard Pentax mount lens, including all of them from the film era. So, you can use your existing lenses from your Pentax film SLR, no problem.

The going rate for a K100D body is about $150-$180.

Good luck!
Bobbo :-)
03-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
I also only shoot cameras that run on AA batts. Since Pentax discontinued support for AA's I've never moved on to their better dslr's. And I suspect I never will either...as long as they never support a dslr that runs on 4 AA's I'll stick with what I got.
Except that is completely untrue. The K-r can run on four AAs with a holder, and the K-5 can run on six in the grip.

QuoteOriginally posted by A3M0N Quote
Hi, new to the forum and to digital, but not to SLR photography.

My ZX-M film SLR died several years ago, and haven't had the budget to replace it. We have a couple of digital point and shoots that are around 12mp. I am looking at a K100D as a budget replacement and entry into DSLRs. Will I be disappointed in the 6mp of the K100D? Or will the SLR functionality outweigh the lower MegaPixel count? I'm not looking to print any wall sized prints or anything, just good SLR images.

Thanks!

Richie
I gotta agree with Adam on this one. There's no point starting with an older model than the K-x. DSLRs don't have the same mechanical longevity that good film cameras did, and going out of your way to buy one of the oldest models available just sounds like more potential problems. Not to mention that everything about the K-x exceeds the capabilities of the K100D.

Comparatively, the K100D lacks:
  • Phase detect AF.
  • ISO boost.
  • Live View.
  • Video.
  • And it's larger, heavier, and slower.

Megapixel resolution is the least of your concerns, and it's not a good metric to judge a camera by. You can take very nice pictures with a lower resolution sensor, but you'll have a lot more freedom for cropping and such with a larger one. 12MP for an APS-C sensor seems like a nice balance of size of photosites vs. number of pixels (not that there's anything wrong with the K-5's 16MP - it's without a doubt better).

I'm just suggesting that you research all the factors before deciding on a model. Ultimately, features like ISO range, noise handling, and AF quality will affect you much more than the resolution of the output. I think it's best to get the most fully featured model one can afford, and have some room to grow into it, rather than feeling limited by its obsolescence sooner.

Last edited by Philoslothical; 03-17-2012 at 05:41 PM.
03-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

6Mp K100D - 18-55 kit zoom:

EXIF attached.

K-x (shot at 10Mp) - 18-55 kit zoom:

$59 p&s (on-board flash) -

EXIF attached.
03-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Comparatively, the K100D lacks:
  • Phase detect AF.
  • ISO boost.
  • Live View.
  • Video.
  • And it's larger, heavier, and slower.
K100D uses PDAF, just like other DSLRs.
03-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
K100D uses PDAF, just like other DSLRs.
I stand corrected, thanks. I quoted what must be an error on the snapsort comparison of the two cameras. I'll drop them a note, too.
03-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for all replies! So, nothing really bad to say about the camera, just that its older and has less features is what I think I see the most. Thats kind of why I'm looking into this body, its simple. The less features the better, thats why I loved my ZX-M so much, it was totally manual. If they would make a digital back for a K1000, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Thanks for all the info!

Richie
03-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Check out this thread for what a 10 mp K200D can do. They can sometimes be had for a good price also.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/129204-anyone-else-miss-k200d.html
03-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
The going rate for a K100D body is about $150-$180.

Good luck!
Bobbo :-)
Is this used or new? Where at? I could only find the kit from Amazon for $225.

I'll look into the K200D as well, thanks.