Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Recommendations for LCD hood/magnifiers?

Hi all,

I just caught a video coupla days ago about a LCD hood/viewer, a competitor to the HoodMan HoodLoupe. It was (a) cheaper, $65 instead of $100+, and (b) had a mounting device so that you didn't have to use a hand to press the loupe against the back of the camera. As I recall the optic part would also swing up and away, allowing you to show the shaded screen to somebody else without their having to apply their eye to it.

Just one teensy little problem: I apparently neglected to bookmark it. Anybody know what it might have been? I did some Googling and checking of the forum here, nothing looked familiar.

And, heck, while I've got y'all on the line, what are your opinions about the other products out there? I know the HoodMan product is well thought-of, but it's really rather pricey, and I'm not fond of the extra-cost rubber-band lash-up thingy that they sell to hold the loupe to the camera. I absolutely require something with a diopter adjustment -- these eyes ain't gettin' any younger! -- and an eyecup would certainly help. Magnification nice but not essential.

TIA!

rw

03-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a zacuto z-finder pro 2.5x. I really like it but it is way more then a hoodman of course I believe it delivers more too, ymmv.
03-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #3

One I have seen about, but I don't actually have, is the Carry Speed lcd viewfinder hood. They're all over fleabay.

Also there is this foldable hood at Amazon
Amazon.com: Flashpoint LCD Foldaway Viewfinder 3X magnification: Camera & Photo
03-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Aha! Looking and Googling some of the products y'all put up, I found the video link I'd lost, so thank you! The video review-let is at
, and the product is called the Hoodeye (not HoodMan) brand "Perfect LCD Viewfinder". $60 shipped, plastic construction, diopter, eyepiece flips up leaving the hood in place, shaded for easy viewing. Video reviews say the hinges and catches are a bit flimsy -- what do you expect for $60? Finally managed to dig up one shopping link for it here: GGS 3 inch 3X LCD Viewfinder Loupe for Nikon Canon D7000 600D etc..

Thanks for the help!