Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DSLR with email or bluetooth?

I don't know if this has ever been discussed before...but with the advances in technology surely it's possible to have a camera with built in email or, to a lesser degree, bluetooth.

This would be such a great addition to a camera to negate the use of a computer and speed up delivery of pics for those snappers on a tight deadline. You'd still be able to shoot RAW and simply use Pentax's in-camera RAW to convert the pics to a suitable size for emailing, apply filters, etc.

Just a thought...

03-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #2

that would be very cool if you could toss your camera in your bag after a shoot and tell it to send all the photos in jpeg to your boss while you drive home.
03-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's been compact cameras with integrated wifi & email for 5 or 6 years, so far it doesn't seem to have taken off.

If you live a "tight deadline" lifestyle, you probably have a smartphone and/or tablet, so you could simply copy/transmit pics from the camera to that device and email from there.
03-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

+1 for bluetooth, if for no other reason than it would avoid opening the camera (cord and/or card slot) every time photos need to be transferred.

Wifi would be nice, too, although my skills are not to the stage where I'd be comfortable sending shots to someone without viewing them on the big screen first.

Oh, and bluetooth would also allow for very slick "tethering" (used loosely here).

03-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There was a bluetooth connection already a decade ago on a Sony videocamera (DCR-PC120E), but I bet very few ever even tried it - or found it useful. I sure didn't.

Now there are rumors of Samsung considering Android-based cameras, That could bring interesting connection and processing possibilities. Not to mention being able to play Angry Birds on your camera!
03-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bluetooth 'tethering' would be good.

However, I'd want the manufacturers to standardize on it like SD cards so it doesn't become proprietary needing special software from each manufacturer to load the photos onto your device (laptop, desktop, phone, tablet etc).
03-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't think Bluetooth or Wireless Tethering would speed up the process anymore the hardwire Tethering such as what is already available (PK_Tether for instance), it would be just a extra convenience (no cables). The negative side would be an increase in battery consumption. Beside I would still prefer to do some post processing (even just to look over the images) before sending them off for publication, unless you have some prior agreement with the particular editor that they do any post processing for you.
Your deadline delivery speed more depends on how fast you can get them off your computer and not necessarily of your camera, and then we can talk about the advantages of high(er) speed wireless Internet.

just my two cent worth.

03-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The K-r has IrSimple/ irSS support, and even a dueling images game over IR-Simple built-in.

Wouldn't be much of a step to add Bluetooth. I mean who has ever used irSS?
Bluetooth would be much more useful.

Maybe it will come when Pentax runs their firmware on Android
03-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It would eat a lot of battery power but yes it would be convenient; the k-r's infrared transfer is too cumbersome so I agree that something like Bluetooth or WiFi would be a better solution.

But email on a DSLR? maybe not... if cameras went that way then next thing you know people might clamor for call and text functions.
03-19-2012, 03:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
But email on a DSLR? maybe not... if cameras went that way then next thing you know people might clamor for call and text functions.
what a radical idea, maybe they could make a phone with a camera in it.....