Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #1

Question about Flashes

Would I be able to take it off the camera and have it flash when I want or does it require the camera to be used?

03-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some flashes support wireless release and all can be used with a cable release. You can also set up a remote trigger. Which flash do you have in mind?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mojoe_24 Quote
Would I be able to take it off the camera and have it flash when I want or does it require the camera to be used?
Most, if not all, flashes have a "test" button. You can fire the flash any time by manually pushing this button.

Not sure if I understand your question correctly though.
03-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
To clarify. I like messing around with long exposure at night. Would I be able to have the camera's shutter stay open and then use the flash (off the camera) to light something? And I'm not looking at any specifically right now. Most likely it'd be a cheaper one though.

03-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Do a search for "painting with flash."

This is a good article: Painting with Flash.

Great photos: Harold Ross Fine Art
03-22-2012, 03:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mojoe_24 Quote
To clarify. I like messing around with long exposure at night. Would I be able to have the camera's shutter stay open and then use the flash (off the camera) to light something? And I'm not looking at any specifically right now. Most likely it'd be a cheaper one though.
It works just fine, just set the flash manually for the exposure you want and push the test button.

But I will warn you now, be very careful (with respect to your images) as to where you physically stand, so that you do not block any of the light reaching the camera, otherwise you will get a lot of invisible people in your shots, not shadows or silhouettes but transparent human form outlines
03-22-2012, 04:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
But I will warn you now, be very careful (with respect to your images) as to where you physically stand, so that you do not block any of the light reaching the camera, otherwise you will get a lot of invisible people in your shots, not shadows or silhouettes but transparent human form outlines

Presumably, you'd need to trigger the camera, walk into frame, fire flash, walk out of frame and then stop camera.

Why wouldn't this give a silhouette, or would the background show through but only if you trigger the flash a second time.

I'm not questioning you (I guess I am really), it just sounds like rather an interesting thing to attempt, in addition to the OP wanting to paint with light.
03-22-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Presumably, you'd need to trigger the camera, walk into frame, fire flash, walk out of frame and then stop camera.

Why wouldn't this give a silhouette, or would the background show through but only if you trigger the flash a second time.

I'm not questioning you (I guess I am really), it just sounds like rather an interesting thing to attempt, in addition to the OP wanting to paint with light.
I am assuming that you are doing a very long exposure, so you use bulb, with the lens stopped down, and relitively low ISO.

I did this once with film, with about a 5 minute exposure, and walked about in the frame with a flash triggering it to light specific points.

The problem is, that there is some ambient light on the whole scene, and also stray light from the flash, that illuminates the scene, and you end up, if you are not careful, with transparent silhouettes, because the flashes are relitively high intensity but the ambient light, or stray light from a second flash, illuminates the scene behind the silhouette, but to a different level than the surrounding areas.

As i said, you generate transparent human forms in the image, unless you really plan out your exposure pattern.

I think in general the most critical thing is to always use side lighting, , i.e. you are never between the cone of light prijected by the flash and the lens, unless you want to creat the invisible man

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 05-28-2012 at 05:28 AM.
03-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I am assuming that you are doing a very long exposure, so you use bulb, with the lens stopped down, and relitively low ISO.

I did this once with film, with about a 5 minute exposure, and walked about in the frame with a flash triggering it to light specific points.

The problem is, that there is some ambient light on the whole scene, and also stray light from the flash, that illuminates the scene, and you end up, if you are not careful, with transparent silhouettes, because the flashes are relitively high intensity but the ambient light, or stray light from a second flash, illuminates the scene behind the silhouette, but to a different level than the surrounding areas.

As i said, you generate transparent human forms in the image, unless you really plan out your exposure pattern.

I think in general the most critical thing is to always use side lighting, , i.e. you are never between the cone of light prijected by the flash and the lens, unless you want to creat the invisible man
Thanks for the details. Most interesting.

Actually, my intent WAS to try to create an invisible man, just the opposite to what you intended.

Makes photography all the more interesting, doesn't it.
03-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks for the details. Most interesting.

Actually, my intent WAS to try to create an invisible man, just the opposite to what you intended.

Makes photography all the more interesting, doesn't it.
If you want to create the invisible man, then I would suggest 2 flash pulses, one of the scene without you in it, set exposure for about 50% or -1-2 stops under exopsed, and then take a second flash with the flash hidden(to the camera) by your invisible man illuminating the scene again. it should work out nicely
03-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If you want to create the invisible man, then I would suggest 2 flash pulses, one of the scene without you in it, set exposure for about 50% or -1-2 stops under exopsed, and then take a second flash with the flash hidden(to the camera) by your invisible man illuminating the scene again. it should work out nicely
Thank you.

I'll give that a try.

Nice to do something different and interesting WITHOUT using Photoshop or the computer generally.
03-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Thank you.

I'll give that a try.

Nice to do something different and interesting WITHOUT using Photoshop or the computer generally.
what do they call it? Old School

do post the results, I'd love to see them.
03-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

what do they call it? Old School

do post the results, I'd love to see them.
Maybe Old School, it can also be called "I don't know Photoshop too well!!"

When I get something moderately successful I'll gladly post the results for you.
03-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Maybe Old School, it can also be called "I don't know Photoshop too well!!" :
since I work with computers all day, I actually shoot jpeg because I simply hate spending any more time in front of a monitor than necessary.

This is a fun experiment
03-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks. Any recommendations on cheap, decent flashes?