Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax service documenting: parts hold back order

This is for your info should you consider sending stuff for repair out to Pentax USA official repair shop (currently Cris Camera). Or should you ponder sizeable investments in Pentax gear that sooner or later will require maintenance. You may want to track this even if you think it is just a statistical fluke.
I have a K20D sent for repair for card reader failure. Since my 12-24 started acting lately exhibiting occasionally uneven sharpenss in opposed frame corners, I sent that out in the same package for optical realignment etc.
Both camera and lens are now stuck for the fourth week in "Parts Hold Back Order" for a total of 5 weeks. My today's inquiry was answered with "submitted a request from Pentax for ETA on parts" and I should wait another 72 hours for Pentax's answer.
I will report back on progress or lack thereof. No criticism, no premature conclusions, just status updating.

03-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax isn't bad. I've had camera bodies and lenses take over a year for repairs from top independent camera techs. Going on 2 years now for restoration of my Zunow 50mm f1.1 lens from 1954. I also get status reports...
03-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K20 has had two sensors replaced under warranty from C.R.I.S. and they've been very nice to work with. The second time the sensor was out of stock and it took a couple of weeks to get it to them, but they were attentive to requests for updates and I really had no problem at all.

I would certainly classify myself as a satisfied customer.

Ed
03-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Pentax K-5 mirror flop an easy fix?

Parts hold, Process hold for the past 3 weeks.. And this is the second trip back after they botched the first repair..

03-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't know anything about the K-5 one way or the other. All I can say is that if they need parts, and don't have them available, then they can't do the repair until they have them.
03-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Greeneg Quote
Don't know anything about the K-5 one way or the other. All I can say is that if they need parts, and don't have them available, then they can't do the repair until they have them.
That's a given but with the size of the US market you'd think they would keep more parts in stock.. Not sure how they run their business this way. Part of the reason they lost me as a customer is the extremely long repair times I've experienced so far
03-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Note I was confirmed that parts are back ordered for both camera and lens. Now I wouldn't have been surprised if this was the case for a specialty item, say FA* 600/4, but DA 12-24/4 is really garden variety, sales backbone, not to mention K20D. I also thought I timed this correctly, when 12-24 became available again at B&H and Adorama. Oh well, maybe I should have entered global warming in equations.

03-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
That's a given but with the size of the US market you'd think they would keep more parts in stock.. Not sure how they run their business this way. Part of the reason they lost me as a customer is the extremely long repair times I've experienced so far
For Pentax the US is probably a comparatively small market. Hard for an American to internalize that we aren't the Big Dog in something, but this time we aren't.
04-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My Pentaxes returned from medical leave exactly two months later, not including the travel time. Of which one week they were in diagnosis, six weeks waiting for donors, one week in surgery. To the doctors' credit, they both returned in excellent health. Now I must say while I'm happy with the family reunited (actually increased with the addition of a newborn K-5)...
...two months turnaround time for staple items like K20D and DA 12-24/4 is bordering the insane. If I were deriving any part of my income from photography I would have probably switched away. Even as a crazy amateur I now have to ponder the option of keeping a spare body and double my most used lens, yet I'm not sure I would take lightly the prolonged absence of say my DA 300/4. In the same period of time my friend has dropped and had his EF 16-35/2.8 repaired *twice*.
04-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Maybe they would if they could get them. A lot of factories that make this stuff are recovering from instances of extremely bad weather. Earthquakes, Tsunamis, floods, a little Nuclear radiation, things like that can tend to put a bit of a damper on production for quite a while. Ask yourself where does Pentax get it's parts from? What's going on there? It's not just Pentax. Other camera makers, other products, car manufacturers for instances, have been seeing delays on parts for a while too. Mama Nature hasn't exactly been playing nice in a lot of places the past couple of years.

My roommate's SO just traded in his Japanese car because twice now he's had problems with something in his car and even though it's still under warranty they can't get the parts in to repair it without apparently making him wait a couple of months. There are manufacturers that are just now recovering from what's happened a year ago. Not just in Japan either. I don't think it's the repair center so much as I think they're all dealing with the situation and what they can get right now. That's the problem with not buying things made in your own country.

I actually like most foreign made cars actually but I'm still driving the car I am because it's an easy fix if necessary. I can hit just about any junk yard parts store in the area if need be and find a used part for my car. Likely can't say that for the guy next door driving his Nissan or whatever.