Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #1

K20D or another model (new to Pentax)?

I'm new to the forum and new to Pentax. I'm primarily a Canon shooter but I'm looking to get into some storm weather shooting and I want to find something weather sealed. This will be a 2nd camera (well, technically a 3rd camera) for me and will pretty much be specific to shooting in foul weather, so I don't need to go for the flagship model. At this point, I have pretty much honed in on the K20D as meeting my needs. Are there other comparable models that I should be considering as opposed to the K20D? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Gonzo

03-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, it depends on your budget. The ideal choice is the k-5. But if you can live with the sensor performance of the k20, I would suggest that you look at the k-7. Basically everything is better except for the sensor which remains more or less the same.
03-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As noted above, k-5 is best but nothing wrong with either k20 or k-7.

Also, keep in mind you will need WR lenses in order make this a weather resistant setup. Body only is just half the battle. There was a thread here just a few days ago about someone who got water into their k-5 by using a non-WR lens in the rain. Water got through the lens and then into the camera.
03-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Well, it depends on your budget. The ideal choice is the k-5. But if you can live with the sensor performance of the k20, I would suggest that you look at the k-7. Basically everything is better except for the sensor which remains more or less the same.
That would be the exact reason to pick the k20d over the k-7 - the sensor performance is essentially the same, and since the OP wanted it as a 2nd camera strictly for wet weather, no point paying another $150-200 (+) for essentially the same performance.

That said, you're more likely to find a K-7 paired with the 18-55mm WR lens since it was the kit lens - if you can find that pair for around $600 it is a worthwhile value; the K-7 does have better build too with a magnesium vs durable heavy plastic body (though the k20 is very durable, I just picked up a canon 60d and my k20d definitely felt more sturdy than the 60d does).

03-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K20D makes for a fine backup camera provided you expose well with it and keep your ISO below 2000 or so. Very sturdy and reliable camera. The K-5 is indeed an even better option even as a backup but the K20D is a solid performer.
03-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-7's sensor isn't as good as the K20D's though...they hacked the chroma noise issue by making some of the noise B&W but it costs some high iso performance. Better body though w/ some nice landscape features like the horizon indicator and quieter shutter...
03-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
That would be the exact reason to pick the k20d over the k-7 - the sensor performance is essentially the same, and since the OP wanted it as a 2nd camera strictly for wet weather, no point paying another $150-200 (+) for essentially the same performance.

That said, you're more likely to find a K-7 paired with the 18-55mm WR lens since it was the kit lens - if you can find that pair for around $600 it is a worthwhile value; the K-7 does have better build too with a magnesium vs durable heavy plastic body (though the k20 is very durable, I just picked up a canon 60d and my k20d definitely felt more sturdy than the 60d does).
Agree with your first point. The K20D will meet your needs just fine. And just to clarify your second paragraph for the OP who is new to Pentax, the K-7 and K20D have the same build quality, both have frames made from a magnesium alloy and stainless steel. The K20D will be just as durable as the K-7. The main difference in bodies is size, as the K-7 and K-5 will be considerably smaller than the K20D or K10D.

Take a look at the camera review section for more specs on different Pentax DSLRs: Digital SLRs - Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Database and Reviews

03-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-7 has better overall performance (FPS, menu speed, top shutter speed), more features (I.e. An AF assist light, more in the menu) and arguably better ergonomics than the K20.
03-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-7 has better overall performance (FPS, menu speed, top shutter speed), more features (I.e. An AF assist light, more in the menu) and arguably better ergonomics than the K20.

Arguably (emphasis mine) being the key word. I'm one of those (probably rare) people waiting for a K-5 or better in a K20D chassis. The only thing the K-7 has that I would like to have on my K20D is the much improved lcd screen for live view usage. I came close to buying a friend's K-5, and I love the files from that camera, but admittedly still holding out some ever-fading hope for a somewhat larger body.

I'm guessing I'll have a K-5 or it's replacement within a year Still, I'd take a K20D over a K-7 any day ... for that matter even a K10D which I also own.
03-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
Zav
Pentaxian

Forgot a point: you don't want video, right?
03-20-2012, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I just got a k-5 and retired my K20D to backup status. I don't do movies, and I never saw the point in getting a K-7. I've been out the last few days shooting with both the K20D and the K-5. While the K-5 is marginally better.. there is nothing wrong with the images coming from the K20D. I'm still thinking other things besides which camera body I'm using at the time make the big difference. I'm starting to think the real differences between any top level DSLR and any other aren't worth the time people spend worshipping their equipment. I'm thinking, for a back-up, save your money. Really, most of the time it's going to be sitting in the closet. The K20D will do just fine.
03-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm thinking, for a back-up, save your money. Really, most of the time it's going to be sitting in the closet. The K20D will do just fine.
The head of the nail has been struck.
03-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the input. I think the K20D should suit my needs pretty well. No need for video. I'm strictly a still photo guy.
Gonzo
03-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #14

Original Poster
I have a lovingly used K20D on the way and hope to get to experiment with it in the Spring storms in the near future. Actually, I'll probably take it with me on an upcoming cross country drive so I can get comfortable using it. Thanks for all of the input.
Gonzo