Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reissue the K-x

Do it!!!! Its a killler camera and despite the drawbacks (no points in the viewfinder yadada) Its a classic. What do you guys think?

03-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-r is better than the K-x in every aspect, (i.e. what I call a 'direct upgrade'). I'm sure its successor will be as well! I don't think there's a need to go back to old technology, though it would be nice if they could maintain a 3- or 4-model DSLR lineup going forward.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-r is better than the K-x in every aspect, (i.e. what I call a 'direct upgrade'). I'm sure its successor will be as well! I don't think there's a need to go back to old technology, though it would be nice if they could maintain a 3- or 4-model DSLR lineup going forward.
The K-x doesn't seem to have the Tungsten focusing bugaboo that the K-r has.

I agree with doggy that the K-x is indeed a "classic", but I also don't think Pentax should go backwards. The K-r replacement will surely be better.
03-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Reissuing the KX might be a better idea

03-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice thought but sends the wrong signal. Living in the past does not bode well for a technology company at all. The K-x was not, IMHO as someone that owned both, superior to the K-x in every way but was in many ways. My hope is that the K-y will be even better.
03-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-r is better than the K-x in every aspect
Haha, and we say this while the masses (well, maybe not masses but a crap ton) are still posting about issues with the Kr (btw, 55K+ clicks and still not a single issue with the white Kx - not to mention a 5ft fall and smash on concrete and a drop in a puddle)...
03-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hope they come out with something a lot better than their last two releases,another like those thine I will bail out of about 40 years of Pentax use.
Jake

03-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bjake Quote
Hope they come out with something a lot better than their last two releases,another like those thine I will bail out of about 40 years of Pentax use.
Jake
While the K-r and K-5 have had some problems, I think they are both very fine cameras for their market segment, the K-5 especially.
03-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

another like those thine I will bail out of about 40 years of Pentax use
They are both fine cameras.

I think the issue is that the more you hang around these forums, you get a distorted picture of reality because many people come here just to post problems - real or imagined - because in part they see these forums as problem solving places.

Not as many people come and post about all the wonderful shots they've taken and their problem-free usage of their cameras. It's mainly the problems and requests for help.

Hang around any Nikon, Sony or Canon forum and you'd get a similar impression. One would never buy one of those brands either judging from all the problems and issues reported there.

I personally like the K-x a lot. I still reach for it often. It's compactness, simple handling, and image quality are great.
03-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know enough about cameras to understand why it doesn't make sense to leave the older models in production and sell them at lower prices. People are blown away when I show them 3200 iso photos from my K-x, which I bought used for $400 with a lens.
03-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Nice thought but sends the wrong signal. Living in the past does not bode well for a technology company at all. The K-x was not, IMHO as someone that owned both, superior to the K-x in every way but was in many ways. My hope is that the K-y will be even better.
Except the name! Hopefully, the strange sequencing of the second letter will continue (6-letter jumps, 2 forward and 1 back, my quick calculation suggests) rather than moving on to a cultural howler like the "K-Y"!
03-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I do prefer the more compact body shape of the Kx/Km - Kr is much better in features though.
03-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hope they come out with something a lot better than their last two releases,another like those thine I will bail out of about 40 years of Pentax use. Jake
Please send me a list of your lenses and anticipated pricing, thanks.
03-20-2012, 06:59 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Except the name! Hopefully, the strange sequencing of the second letter will continue (6-letter jumps, 2 forward and 1 back, my quick calculation suggests) rather than moving on to a cultural howler like the "K-Y"!
They'd have people talking about it and don't the marketing people say that is always a good thing?

Your calc makes it a K-L? Let's see - K-m, K-x, K-r, that's 11 forward and then 6 back. Do we do 11 forward again? If so that's - K-c???

03-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I don't know enough about cameras to understand why it doesn't make sense to leave the older models in production and sell them at lower prices. People are blown away when I show them 3200 iso photos from my K-x, which I bought used for $400 with a lens.
Pentax won't make money that way - it will dilute the brand, key 3rd party components (like the sensor) are no longer made, and production space is limited.