Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #31
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Uh, by next year I meant this year. Yeah. But of course that mirror lockup requirement would indicate sony might have an advantage.
It hits 14FPS with mirror lockup, but it'll do 12FPS with AF and mirror down. The A77 is hitting 12FPS as well, but at 24MP compared to the 16MP of the 1DX and the D4.

03-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #32
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I often think of Pentax as the Subaru of cameras (of course I drive an Outback). here's aTime Magazine article from early 2009 describing how Subaru, with less than a 2% market share globally, had just turned a profit - the only auto maker so to do in 2008.

Subaru: A Rare Bright Spot in Automakers' Gloom.


Perhaps we shouldn't be so critical of Pentax.
Not quite the only car manufacturer to make a profit. I bet there were quite a few Chinese manufacturers that made a profit in 2008 and in fact virtually every global marque also made a profit .. here, where sales actually went up over nearly 100% in one year alone !
03-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,763
I wouldn't be surprised if their US market share were the worst of all countries in which they have a presence. Not sure if it's the lack of marketing or just the dominance of canikon.
03-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #34
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if their US market share were the worst of all countries in which they have a presence. Not sure if it's the lack of marketing or just the dominance of canikon.
I blame Ashton Kutcher mostly.

But also the marketing. I used to see quite a lot of ads for Canon and Nikon (even if it's just P&S) in US magazines, US websites (now they say Pentax, thank you google analytics), sometimes on TV, etc.

03-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,319
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Not quite the only car manufacturer to make a profit. I bet there were quite a few Chinese manufacturers that made a profit in 2008 and in fact virtually every global marque also made a profit .. here, where sales actually went up over nearly 100% in one year alone !
How Amero-centric of me. I fixed it.
03-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #36
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How Amero-centric of me. I fixed it.
Ha ha - I wasn't criticising, just commenting on something that almost certainly won't be common knowledge to most.
03-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,319
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Ha ha - I wasn't criticising, just commenting on something that almost certainly won't be common knowledge to most.
And I forgot the smiley
03-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #38
Veteran Member
alohadave's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quincy, MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,024
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If you turn the analogy to cars, what's the big deal about having less than (say) 10% market share?

BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Subaru, even Honda probably have less than 10% of the new car market each in Australia. But they make a living, they make great products, there are lots of after-market accessories for them all, and they provide long-term after sales support.

And if a few workshops don't provide service for my model of car, I go to another.
Yeah, but there are about 100 different car marques. There are 7-8 big camera brands.

And everyone has a car. Relatively few people own a dSLR.

03-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #39
Veteran Member
alohadave's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quincy, MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,024
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I don't use Lifepixel. Their market share is 0,0000001%. Far too low for a serious supplier.
Their market share for IR conversions is something like 30%. There aren't that many companies doing it.
03-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #40
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Their market share for IR conversions is something like 30%. There aren't that many companies doing it.
What's pentax's market share for weather-resistant two-dial SLR's with TAv mode and in-camera shake reduction?
03-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #41
Veteran Member
Philoslothical's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,723
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Their market share for IR conversions is something like 30%. There aren't that many companies doing it.
Well then, you'd think they could support *one* of our models, then, no? Just one? If they were serious? Even say, a K20D? Or how about a K-x?

No? Well, to hell with them then. They're clearly right, there's no demand, not even mine and the other forum members here who have asked (a.k.a. demanded). Personally, I've been ready to buy and send a second body for awhile now, because it *sounds like* they could do a better job converting it than me. That said, if they won't take me seriously, why should I take them seriously? They can suck on the Canikon teat as long as they want, but they won't earn any kind words from me for it.
03-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #42
Veteran Member
alohadave's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quincy, MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,024
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Well then, you'd think they could support *one* of our models, then, no? Just one? If they were serious? Even say, a K20D? Or how about a K-x?

No? Well, to hell with them then. They're clearly right, there's no demand, not even mine and the other forum members here who have asked (a.k.a. demanded). Personally, I've been ready to buy and send a second body for awhile now, because it *sounds like* they could do a better job converting it than me. That said, if they won't take me seriously, why should I take them seriously? They can suck on the Canikon teat as long as they want, but they won't earn any kind words from me for it.
I sense a business opportunity. But think about what it requires to do a conversion. You need gear to practice on, and enough customers to justify taking time away from your big 2-3 brands that give you far more business. It's likely really not worth it for them to even touch Pentax.
03-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #43
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,800
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
It's likely really not worth it for them to even touch Pentax.
But then some IR conversion shops like MaxMax do Olympus and even Fuji DSLR's.

So it is possible, I think, that at least some conversion places could be persuaded that doing Pentax wouldn't be so hard.
03-23-2012, 03:20 AM   #44
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,190
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
There was an interesting stat about the Nikon D800 preorders at B&H...there were 45K orders. That's what Pentax sells in DSLRs all year IIRC
As much as this could be true, those 45,000 orders are just paying part of the amount Nikon spends on advertising and marketing (I think).

Like Canon here in my country, which has so many celebrity endorsers - I wonder how many orders does it take to pay off the amount they shelled out for that endorser, his appearances, his management, etc. I just hope that with Pentax's not-so-aggressive efforts in marketing and advertising, they still get to have bigger profits so as to have more funds to make better cameras.
03-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #45
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,800
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
there were 45K orders.
LOL. I heard 10,000, others simply claimed over 9000.

Lots of BS numbers floating around in other words.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, ir, pentax, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax DSLR market share baj Pentax DSLR Discussion 52 05-26-2011 03:35 PM
Japan: EVIL ~30% market share; DSLR 35% increase yr over yr nosnoop Pentax News and Rumors 121 07-20-2010 07:40 AM
World domination in the DSLR market ? lesmore49 Photographic Technique 4 06-26-2009 01:39 PM
Interesting Take on DSLR Market Michaelina2 Pentax News and Rumors 10 11-21-2008 02:10 PM
When will the entry level DSLR market peak? Marcus Pentax News and Rumors 7 02-01-2008 12:34 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top