Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Uh, by next year I meant this year. Yeah. But of course that mirror lockup requirement would indicate sony might have an advantage.
It hits 14FPS with mirror lockup, but it'll do 12FPS with AF and mirror down. The A77 is hitting 12FPS as well, but at 24MP compared to the 16MP of the 1DX and the D4.

03-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I often think of Pentax as the Subaru of cameras (of course I drive an Outback). here's aTime Magazine article from early 2009 describing how Subaru, with less than a 2% market share globally, had just turned a profit - the only auto maker so to do in 2008.

Subaru: A Rare Bright Spot in Automakers' Gloom.

Perhaps we shouldn't be so critical of Pentax.
Not quite the only car manufacturer to make a profit. I bet there were quite a few Chinese manufacturers that made a profit in 2008 and in fact virtually every global marque also made a profit .. here, where sales actually went up over nearly 100% in one year alone !
03-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't be surprised if their US market share were the worst of all countries in which they have a presence. Not sure if it's the lack of marketing or just the dominance of canikon.
03-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if their US market share were the worst of all countries in which they have a presence. Not sure if it's the lack of marketing or just the dominance of canikon.
I blame Ashton Kutcher mostly.

But also the marketing. I used to see quite a lot of ads for Canon and Nikon (even if it's just P&S) in US magazines, US websites (now they say Pentax, thank you google analytics), sometimes on TV, etc.

03-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Not quite the only car manufacturer to make a profit. I bet there were quite a few Chinese manufacturers that made a profit in 2008 and in fact virtually every global marque also made a profit .. here, where sales actually went up over nearly 100% in one year alone !
How Amero-centric of me. I fixed it.
03-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How Amero-centric of me. I fixed it.
Ha ha - I wasn't criticising, just commenting on something that almost certainly won't be common knowledge to most.
03-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Ha ha - I wasn't criticising, just commenting on something that almost certainly won't be common knowledge to most.
And I forgot the smiley

03-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If you turn the analogy to cars, what's the big deal about having less than (say) 10% market share?

BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Subaru, even Honda probably have less than 10% of the new car market each in Australia. But they make a living, they make great products, there are lots of after-market accessories for them all, and they provide long-term after sales support.

And if a few workshops don't provide service for my model of car, I go to another.
Yeah, but there are about 100 different car marques. There are 7-8 big camera brands.

And everyone has a car. Relatively few people own a dSLR.
03-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I don't use Lifepixel. Their market share is 0,0000001%. Far too low for a serious supplier.
Their market share for IR conversions is something like 30%. There aren't that many companies doing it.
03-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Their market share for IR conversions is something like 30%. There aren't that many companies doing it.
What's pentax's market share for weather-resistant two-dial SLR's with TAv mode and in-camera shake reduction?
03-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Well then, you'd think they could support *one* of our models, then, no? Just one? If they were serious? Even say, a K20D? Or how about a K-x?

No? Well, to hell with them then. They're clearly right, there's no demand, not even mine and the other forum members here who have asked (a.k.a. demanded). Personally, I've been ready to buy and send a second body for awhile now, because it *sounds like* they could do a better job converting it than me. That said, if they won't take me seriously, why should I take them seriously? They can suck on the Canikon teat as long as they want, but they won't earn any kind words from me for it.
03-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Well then, you'd think they could support *one* of our models, then, no? Just one? If they were serious? Even say, a K20D? Or how about a K-x?

No? Well, to hell with them then. They're clearly right, there's no demand, not even mine and the other forum members here who have asked (a.k.a. demanded). Personally, I've been ready to buy and send a second body for awhile now, because it *sounds like* they could do a better job converting it than me. That said, if they won't take me seriously, why should I take them seriously? They can suck on the Canikon teat as long as they want, but they won't earn any kind words from me for it.
I sense a business opportunity. But think about what it requires to do a conversion. You need gear to practice on, and enough customers to justify taking time away from your big 2-3 brands that give you far more business. It's likely really not worth it for them to even touch Pentax.
03-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #43
Veteran Member

It's likely really not worth it for them to even touch Pentax.
But then some IR conversion shops like MaxMax do Olympus and even Fuji DSLR's.

So it is possible, I think, that at least some conversion places could be persuaded that doing Pentax wouldn't be so hard.
03-23-2012, 03:20 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
There was an interesting stat about the Nikon D800 preorders at B&H...there were 45K orders. That's what Pentax sells in DSLRs all year IIRC
As much as this could be true, those 45,000 orders are just paying part of the amount Nikon spends on advertising and marketing (I think).

Like Canon here in my country, which has so many celebrity endorsers - I wonder how many orders does it take to pay off the amount they shelled out for that endorser, his appearances, his management, etc. I just hope that with Pentax's not-so-aggressive efforts in marketing and advertising, they still get to have bigger profits so as to have more funds to make better cameras.
03-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
there were 45K orders.
LOL. I heard 10,000, others simply claimed over 9000.

Lots of BS numbers floating around in other words.