Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax...less than 3% of the dslr market?

I contacted LifePixel Digital Infrared Photography IR Conversion, Modification & Scratched Sensor Repair to get a Pentax converted to IR. They told me they won't work on Pentax at all. Sony is higher on their list than Pentax. They said Pentax is less than 3% of the camera market. Don't know if 'less than 3%' is true...just saying how it went down with them.

03-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Odd; odd that they would tell you this and act that way, but yes, 3% sounds right and maybe even a little high here in the states - hopefully they will get some great products out soon and do some better marketing instead of focusing on fashion branding and concentrating on the next color of a camera...
03-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It certainly varies by country, but somewhere in the 3-8% range sounds about right for most places (not sure of the exact number for the US). Certainly if I had to guess based on what I see other people shooting with, I'd have to say the number is closer to the 3% end of the range FWIW, Pentax still has a 33% DSLR market share in my house
03-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

French = Pentax fans ...

Bonjour,

From who I have spoken to, Pentax seems to do well in France, and possibly in some other parts of Europe ... cannot remember seeing any figures though ... still far behind Canikon, but in front of Sony DSLR's IMHO.

Allez et salut, John le Frog

03-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Pentax gets the good 3% Let the sheep go where they are led by the herd

Regarding all the colour choices and designer complaints, Pentax is trying to appeal to the masses to get more entry level sales. Pentax already has lots of real enthusiasts, I would wager that the majority of Canikon users are entry model, kit-lens, auto-settings, flash up types that never go beyond. It is easier to appeal to those types (the mass market) with style and colour choices than potentially meaningless (for the p&s consumer) technical specifics
03-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Probably a low percentage though I don't think 3% is the real figure.
Its likely they based it on some internet info (like speculations on forums) or their own previous sales figures for handling Pentax DSLRs.
That's why if you want Pentax to continue making the stuff you like, tell ppl about the brand and get ppl to buy them.
Help others to help yourself.
03-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax should scrap all that program setting BS and all the rest of the useless stuff, videos', etc in their dslr's. Make them bare bones. Pentax should concentrate on high quality, large mp, reliable bare bones, affordable dslr's that run on 4 AA's.

Pentax forget trying to compete with Canikon. You can beat them at 'your game' just by not trying to compete. Pentax just needs to be Pentax.

If someone needs to have a setting for mountains and one for flowers then let them buy a Canikon. If someone buys a Pentax one would hope they know a smidgen more about photography.

You may only still have 3% with your bare bones 'bomber' style dslr. But at least you will be tops in your niche Pentax.

03-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
I contacted LifePixel Digital Infrared Photography IR Conversion, Modification & Scratched Sensor Repair to get a Pentax converted to IR. They told me they won't work on Pentax at all. Sony is higher on their list than Pentax. They said Pentax is less than 3% of the camera market. Don't know if 'less than 3%' is true...just saying how it went down with them.
Indeed. They brushed me off quite brusquely, too. It went like this:

Initial query.
"We don't do Pentax, but what model interests you?"
My response boiled down to "Any model up to and including K-r, but not K-5"
"We won't be doing Pentax, there's no demand"

Meh, I wasn't going to try too hard to convince them. Based on their responses, I wouldn't trust them with a camera anyway.
03-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you turn the analogy to cars, what's the big deal about having less than (say) 10% market share?

BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Subaru, even Honda probably have less than 10% of the new car market each in Australia. But they make a living, they make great products, there are lots of after-market accessories for them all, and they provide long-term after sales support.

And if a few workshops don't provide service for my model of car, I go to another.
03-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You should see how much percent Sigma has.
03-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Indeed. They brushed me off quite brusquely, too. It went like this:

Initial query.
"We don't do Pentax, but what model interests you?"
My response boiled down to "Any model up to and including K-r, but not K-5"
"We won't be doing Pentax, there's no demand"

Meh, I wasn't going to try too hard to convince them. Based on their responses, I wouldn't trust them with a camera anyway.

Yes, good summation.
03-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I often think of Pentax as the Subaru of cameras (of course I drive an Outback). here's aTime Magazine article from early 2009 describing how Subaru, with less than a 2% market share globally [EDIT: in America], had just turned a [US] profit - the only auto maker so to do in 2008.

Subaru: A Rare Bright Spot in Automakers' Gloom.

Perhaps we shouldn't be so critical of Pentax.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-22-2012 at 09:23 AM.
03-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The proper response may be, "Fine, I'll find somebody who wants my money, bye-bye."
03-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
Maybe ony 3% of the Dslr market, but 100% here! I try to be an "educated" consumer and before I bought my K10D, I researched all mfgs, compared side by side, and checked pricing. The best deal was my K10, I bought it, (kit with lens) for $399.99, brand new with Pentax warranty. I never held it at the big box stores, because they only carry the heavily
marketed brands, and bought it from an independent camera shop. I'm sure my next Dslr will still be a Pentax, regardless of their market share.
03-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
I would wager that the majority of Canikon users are entry model, kit-lens, auto-settings, flash up types that never go beyond.
There are also moneyed ones who buy as high as a 7D or D7000, and use the same settings- hey, it's flashy black jewelry.