Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 04:10 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PHOTONY Quote
Hello,

Shooting weddings and for a few local publications, it was getting difficult for me to advance regardless of how much they liked my photos when I mentioned the gear I was using. Many wedding magazines print a list of "things to ask your vendors" and in most cases for the photographer it was to ask them of the gear they use. When they would ask I would reply PROUDLY "Pentax" and on numberous occasions I saw the deal slip thru the cracks at that moment when they would reply Pentax? I didnt know they still made cameras....Im not a weekend warrior, This is all I do for a living so every deal lost hits hard. Now for the Journalism side of things, All the Photo Editors and Photo Journalists told me the same thing...If you are going to be in the industry, you need to use what the industry uses.....Do I agree with that...No... but if the people who pay me believe it then I listen to what they have to say.
This is a good point. you have to use what you are requested to use. Right or wrong it's the reality. If you are in demand and established enough you can use whatever you choose and people will respect your choice but when you are battling for recognition hampering yourself is a bad idea. if your clients demand canikon for whatever reason sometimes it's just better to take the path of least resistance and give them what they want. Good luck in future

03-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
This is a good point. you have to use what you are requested to use. Right or wrong it's the reality. If you are in demand and established enough you can use whatever you choose and people will respect your choice but when you are battling for recognition hampering yourself is a bad idea. if your clients demand canikon for whatever reason sometimes it's just better to take the path of least resistance and give them what they want. Good luck in future
a while back, I think when the sony 10MP sensor came out, there was a big issue with some publications putting restrictions on shooters with 6MP cameras. While that may have had some merit, in terms of resolution for large publications etc, it is otherwise irrelevent.

While I understand the commercial pressure to conform, and I really do appreciate that it is a market place driven activity to some extent, the whole issue of having wedding planners select or propose phogotraphers based upon an equipment brand with out even considering looking at the portofolio is almost insane.

it is the ignorent teaching the unschooled.

In business, for publications, the only real issue I can see, and this may be relevent to some extent, is if a publisher has artistic control over the final image (in terms of PP etc) they may have preferences to cameras models or makers since the PP requirements will be somewhat consistent, and they may have some specific presets they apply to those cameras, adding an oddball into the mix could be more work for them, at least innitially.
03-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in complete agreement with your points Lowell, unfortunately when the people ignorant of brands are the decision makers or influencers you need to get them to look at your portfolio.I think a Portfolio should stand on it's own merits but sadly it never works that way.
I can see wanting to go Nikon for weddings just for the slicker flash control and better pro support though. Unfortunately from a pro perspective Pentax support is lacking (just like it is at Leica - I've seen a few complaints on RFF about the same problem - so money spent isn't the only factor)
03-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #34
Pentaxian

eddie

i am in 100% agreement.

In fact relitive to flash, I pointed out specifically that that would be one reason to switch,

one thing I do note, and I suspect is quite true, is that these days, almost everyone calls themselves a wedding photographer. No offence intended to those on this thread including the OP who actually are, but the market has changed significantly, and the emphesis at this point seems to be the quantity of shots, not the quality. This is especially true since today, not many of the shots even get printed, and many couples don't produce albums as such, only CDs or DVDs.

While I understand it may be hard to make a name for oneself in such competitive area, once established, the name speaks for itself.

I do not know the relationship between wedding planners and photographers, since I am a hobbiest and not a paid shooter, but I can imagine that wedding planners take a significant cut on all the arrangements they make. Even the most technically illeritate wedding planner would not refuse taking on a well renowned photographer even if he insisted on film, because he did not have a nikon or canon, if only to get a percentage of his fee as comission. It is business after all.

03-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually there is a film renaissance in the wedding trade at the high end. I know a couple of guys who do all the artsy stuff on Film (usually 6x6 or 67) and hire a second shooter to do most of the rest on digital. They get paid at the top of the scale because they offer a service not offered by the mass of entry level shooters. They also walk business left and right that wants to dicker and change the terms of service etc widely.They can afford to but guys starting out maybe need to bend to the will of the uneducated. the film guys though don't roll out of bed for less than about $3500-4000 and up depending on what the contract calls for. It's always good to market yourself at the mid high to high end .... provided you have the skills