Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #1

Remote flash options

Hello, I'm currently shooting a Pentax Ist DL and have the AF-360FGZ flash. I would like to purchase one or two additional flashes for larger group photography and after reading the owners manual they only reference using the on camera flash with the AF-360 as the remote flash, or purchasing additional AF-360's. I don't want to spend a small fortune and I'm wondering if there are other, less expensive Pentax flashes that will sync with my existing flash or even other brands that would sync. Ideally I need a simple, easy solution.
Thanks so much, I hope I gave all necessary information!!
Karen

01-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Sure......

.....$5 & up with a optical hot shoe slave flash sync that attaches to the bottom of any flash. You have to turn off your pre-flash (if possible) for the cheeper units however or they won't work. For $20 and up you can get a slave flash that counts the flashes and does what you want it to do, even if you use a pre-flash. The slave unit is built into the flash so no need for the hot shoe attachment. Go to ebay (or Adroma, B&H...) and do a search for "slave flash" and you will get examples of both the attachment and slave flashes.

HOWEVER, while these flashes are "auto" they do not do TTL or P-TTL. You will need to do a couple trial exposures to get the lighting correct (use your histogram) or use a flash meter.

I use a $5 slave mounted to the bottom of a garage-sale $1 flash and get excellent results with pepole, macro and product photography. The slave even has a tripod mount so I can situate the flash where I need it on a spare tripod or stand.

Good luck!
Perry