Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

How does a ist DL compare today

Hi there,

how would you compare the DL to today cameras? are we talking canon g11-Quality? or better /worse.
I know it's no match for a K-5, but maybe a GH1?

thoughts welcome...

CU
Dr.

03-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The main issue with the ist DL is the lack of features (3 point AF, small screen, few menu options) compared to today's cameras. While the sensor's resolution isn't that high, the pictures are likely still comparable to those of modern advanced point-and-shoots. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that it's about as good as the Fuji X10, though obviously that's like comparing apples to oranges.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the question and answer. I have been wanting to upgrade for a while now The problem has been my DL still works to well, and being a tight wad I have problems spending the money while it still works. I do wish I had more choices in the menu. Maybe better AF.
03-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you want to take the plunge and get a K-5, the sweet price will be ending after 3/31, so I'd go for that if you're planning to stick to DSLRs. When the successor is announced, it will undoubtedly cost almost twice as much for at least a few months.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi DrDespair
I still use the ist ds and it is quite OK in good light and with TTL flash.
The ds had a better vf and fi than the dl

But here are 2 shots (3000 by 2000 jpgs with exif) showing where it is troubled.
This one at dusk last week with the SMC Pentax-M 1:2.8 40mm
https://www.box.com/s/8dc7da14ee4b28df1a9e

This one today with the SMC Pentax 1:2 55mm (I should have taken the XR Rikenon 1:1.4 50mm)

You can see that I am snookered at iso 800 and 1/45th to 1/60th with the lenses down one stop.
https://www.box.com/s/eb28ed3bec0492a87c8f
Anyway I got some good ones of the kids in that light with the 55mm. (I don't put the kids up on public internet)

So I mentioned all this the wife and let slip something about the Pentax K-01.
Next thing there not just one, but 2 black tie dinner functions placed on my desk waiting for checks.
That blows the K-01 budget, I get snookered every time!
03-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would love a k-5. The problem is the Mrs. She doesn't see the need with spending that kind of money on a hobby. I will probably upgrade to a k-x or k-r in a few months.
03-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"So I mentioned all this the wife and let slip something about the Pentax K-01.
Next thing there not just one, but 2 black tie dinner functions placed on my desk waiting for checks.
That blows the K-01 budget, I get snookered every time!"
That is the big reason I don't have a newer camera

03-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I would love a k-5. The problem is the Mrs. She doesn't see the need with spending that kind of money on a hobby. I will probably upgrade to a k-x or k-r in a few months.
The K-r is awfully affordable on the used mkt these days, and the size / quality ratio works very well. Here's one from the trusty K-r taken today.

03-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot.
Used market is where my next will probably come from. The only NEW camera I have ever bought was my k-1000 back in the mid 70's. my DL was 6 month's old when the 10 meg was released and the owner just had to have more megapixels . It had less than 1,000 clicks on it. I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of that $175.00. Now I am trying to convince my better half that I really need a newer camera more than she needs to redecorate the house.
03-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Patrick
She looked at my today's istds ones on Picasa full bore on the Eizo and said " ..None of those are any good... Do you want to look at my phone?.."
03-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife thinks mine are improving. Every time I try to convince her they would be even better with a new camera body ,she mentions new furniture . I don't think I can win this. It looks like a new camera may cost me several thousands of dollars