Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Problem with the LX-type system of your wet dreams comes from having the sensor integrated with the body/controls. When a new sensor appears, it would need a new body. That rather limits modularity.
I also realized this as I was typing my earlier post. Been hanging out the secondhand shops too often, I guess =)) but yeah, an FF module on the next GXR is way more realistic. It would look odd, but that's what makes it a Pentax..err, Ricoh.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Pentax, as a brand, NEEDS FF bodies in their lineup. Not one, but multiple. Low end and high end.
That's a lot of money to invest... at this stage I don't know if even Ricoh has enough funds to start such a two-level 35mm-D series. Too risky, I think.

03-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
at this stage I don't know if even Ricoh has enough funds to start such a two-level 35mm-D series. Too risky, I think.
I agree with you there... But I, and lots of others, also thought that Pentax was to small and to poor for managing more then 2 mounts. And suddenly there's the Q... And the new mirrorless line that requires it's own lineup of lenses that are recessed into the body. (Or is that just the Xtra crippled K-mount?)

And besides... They don't have to issue the two FF's at the same time.
03-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with you there... But I, and lots of others, also thought that Pentax was to small and to poor for managing more then 2 mounts. And suddenly there's the Q... And the new mirrorless line that requires it's own lineup of lenses that are recessed into the body. (Or is that just the Xtra crippled K-mount?)

And besides... They don't have to issue the two FF's at the same time.

I think under hoya the chances were pretty much zero of any FF. Under Ricoh I think there is the funds to build the company. FF isn't an optional extra if you want to become a serious player in the DSLR market. I think Ricohs goal is to be a serious player. it won't happen overnight but there is no doubt that the next 18 months or so will see a flurry of releases aimed at correcting some of the serious shortfalls in the brand to make them a more serious contender. Certainly the mirrorless projects from hoya opened up things a bit, but the dslr line has really been hindered. the models we have had generally have been excellent, but there needs to be a broader selection and FF is part of that equation. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect by next year the DSLR part of the line to be 3 apsc bodies and 1 FF (K?, K5n, K3, LXD for instance), in the ricoh line I'm certain a K mountor is under development but likely as an apsc unit to keep a price point viable. mirrorless a Q2 (this year), and later(2013) a second K that is a little higher end (optional or built in EVF for instance) 645 likely won't see it's upgrade until late 2013 or 2014 IMO but it may see some price drops before
03-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax was to small and to poor for managing more then 2 mounts. And suddenly there's the Q... And the new mirrorless line that requires it's own lineup of lenses that are recessed into the body. (Or is that just the Xtra crippled K-mount?)
The K-01 recessed 40mm actually works on the K-5 as well, so it's not its own mount.
The Q was an attempt to get the P&S crowd interested in a 110 format sized camera, but it again caters towards the masses (aka people who want to spend under $1K like the K-01 target).
They've aimed the 645D at high-end users, but with deep enough pockets that they can fund the project properly (if they had sold it for $5K, they wouldn't have been able to justify it from the low volumes (anyone know how many 645D's were actually sold worldwide?), I'd bet.
If they released FF now, people would instantly gripe about how the current FF lenses are only sharp in the center compared to the Canikon counterparts (the 645D is effectively a "crop" MF so it uses the center like the APS-C bodies), how they're not weathersealed, etc. So unless they can time a release of a few lenses w/ the FF body, I still don't see them doing it...
However, if Canikon decide to keep their D700/5DmkII around as their "low end" FF for around the $2200 mark, Pentax probably needs to take a harder look at FF if they're going to try to price their next APS-C body at $1600-1800...

03-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Anyone looked at prices for new glass? look here: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Zoom Lens 5175B002 B&H Photo that is an arm and a leg for just one new lens.
03-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Anyone looked at prices for new glass? look here: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Zoom Lens 5175B002 B&H Photo that is an arm and a leg for just one new lens.
well it was never a cheap lens but that is a big jump (50% or so from old list) from the old one (which is currently about $1450 around here)

What have they added to justify the increase?

Well from looking near as I can tell it's a zoom lock lever and a drop in weight,and9 blade vs 8 blade diaphram. Doesn't seem like a good value upgrade (maybe the coatings are better)
I'd like to know how they dropped 145 grams from the weight (more plastic ??? Really on a flagship lens) and it still doesn't offer the IS many wanted

Last edited by eddie1960; 03-27-2012 at 07:09 AM.
03-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I wont go with Nikon cause it does not use 4 AA batts. Don't care so much about a FF. I seldom print anything big. 10-12 mp is fine for me. I still use 6mp as well. But human nature what it is, we all gravitate towards the bigger and better.

If Pentax came out with a bare bones FF high mp dslr that ran on 4 AA's I buy 2 or 3 of them. Cut all all the BS crap that they load dslr cams with and make it bombroof as far as a cam can be. Make it affordable. Think K1000 legacy. I'd stick with Pentax for life with such a dslr.

Would also like to see Pentax come out with an IR dslr that offers multi-filter options if that was possible...and run it in 4 AA batts.

But bottom line for me...no AA's...no deal. I would never buy any dslr that wont run on 4AA's.

Get back to basics Pentax...get back to your roots!
03-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

I doubt you will see something that uses 4 aa's as it's primary on a top model from anyone. the grips for the pentax models can take AA though. the reality is the Lithium batteries make more sense for them. Certainly i understand the convenience of AA (it was one of the things i liked on my ds) but with 2 batteries for both my k10 and k7 i've never really had an issue of running out of power even on days where i've shot 1200+ pictures at events. In any case if i did have an issue i can order generics from china on ebay for less than the cost of 4 energizer lithium ion aa batteries (actually i can probably get 2 generics for that price) so unless i was going away from a power source for longer than a week i don't see the appeal anymore

03-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
I wont go with Nikon cause it does not use 4 AA batts. Don't care so much about a FF. I seldom print anything big. 10-12 mp is fine for me. I still use 6mp as well. But human nature what it is, we all gravitate towards the bigger and better.

If Pentax came out with a bare bones FF high mp dslr that ran on 4 AA's I buy 2 or 3 of them. Cut all all the BS crap that they load dslr cams with and make it bombroof as far as a cam can be. Make it affordable. Think K1000 legacy. I'd stick with Pentax for life with such a dslr.

Would also like to see Pentax come out with an IR dslr that offers multi-filter options if that was possible...and run it in 4 AA batts.

But bottom line for me...no AA's...no deal. I would never buy any dslr that wont run on 4AA's.

Get back to basics Pentax...get back to your roots!
I agree with almost everything you said about bullshitless cameras... And I respect your preference, but out of curiousity: why AA's? They drain so extremely quick.
03-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with almost everything you said about bullshitless cameras... And I respect your preference, but out of curiousity: why AA's? They drain so extremely quick.
I had pretty good luck with the energizer lithium ion aa's Clavius, frequently getting 700 or so shots in a single evening out of a set
but they cost stupid money
and the rechargeables i had were lucky to get 450

I agree a good basic camera would be nice but the market reality is for the price a FF would need if you strip to many features you will not sell enough to make the camera viable. Many features are software based and have low cost of implementation so stripping them doesn't reduce the cost of the system by much
03-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
To be hounest I don't think that the successor for the K-r will have AA's, but will also carry the D-Li90 batterypack (as K-5, K-01 and 645D do).
03-27-2012, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

you know, all this talk about full frame etc, while I know my next comment wont satisfy those shooters who want AF etc... it is my fall back if pentax ever stops making K mounts.

Canon.

To be blunt. I will be out the AF lenses, and thier value assuming my cameras all die (that is *istD, K10D, K7D, and K5D for digital plus my PZ-1 which still works like a charm) but my 35 or so manual focus lenses, with the correct adaptor will still work on a canon full frame body, and the shorter regestry distance combined with the huge mount diameter of the canon body, makes a mechanical mounting interface a snap
03-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you know, all this talk about full frame etc, while I know my next comment wont satisfy those shooters who want AF etc... it is my fall back if pentax ever stops making K mounts.

Canon.

To be blunt. I will be out the AF lenses, and thier value assuming my cameras all die (that is *istD, K10D, K7D, and K5D for digital plus my PZ-1 which still works like a charm) but my 35 or so manual focus lenses, with the correct adaptor will still work on a canon full frame body, and the shorter regestry distance combined with the huge mount diameter of the canon body, makes a mechanical mounting interface a snap
As much as I can't stand their ergonomics with your lens collection it's a no brainer back up. mind you with all those bodies it may be some time before you need to worry Lowell even if Pentax was to stop making DSLR
03-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #59
Pentaxian

I can recharge my AAs in the bush using a solar setup I put together. I am experimenting with a way to recharge my K-5 batteries, but so far, lots of time wasted, no results. The batteries are $90 each and I'm thinking for a 13 day trip I probably will need 4. If i use the K-x as my primary shooting camera, I need 8 double A's and I can recharge on the fly (a solar panel set up on the packs in my canoe.) This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy. A day already spent with my meter that measures voltage and power draw and various possible charging configurations, and so far nothing. As well the K-5 batteries don't seem to be lasting as long as the batteries in my K20D, so I might even need 5 or 6 if I can't recharge.
03-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I can recharge my AAs in the bush using a solar setup I put together. I am experimenting with a way to recharge my K-5 batteries, but so far, lots of time wasted, no results. The batteries are $90 each and I'm thinking for a 13 day trip I probably will need 4. If i use the K-x as my primary shooting camera, I need 8 double A's and I can recharge on the fly (a solar panel set up on the packs in my canoe.) This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy. A day already spent with my meter that measures voltage and power draw and various possible charging configurations, and so far nothing. As well the K-5 batteries don't seem to be lasting as long as the batteries in my K20D, so I might even need 5 or 6 if I can't recharge.
Interesting, I would have though an adapted car charger to the solar supply would work fine, provided the solar outputs enough power.