Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I can recharge my AAs in the bush using a solar setup I put together. I am experimenting with a way to recharge my K-5 batteries, but so far, lots of time wasted, no results. The batteries are $90 each and I'm thinking for a 13 day trip I probably will need 4. If i use the K-x as my primary shooting camera, I need 8 double A's and I can recharge on the fly (a solar panel set up on the packs in my canoe.) This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy. A day already spent with my meter that measures voltage and power draw and various possible charging configurations, and so far nothing. As well the K-5 batteries don't seem to be lasting as long as the batteries in my K20D, so I might even need 5 or 6 if I can't recharge.
I understand quite well. I go on trips where I don't see a power outlet for weeks too. I use aftermarket Chinese D-LI90 at around 7 euro per piece from ebay. For me, it's much more convenient to lug those 5 charged batteries around then a special "bush-charger". Personal taste I guess.

Mind you, the Chinese batteries do go in my grip only. In case they leak, only the cheap Chinese aftermarket grip is ruined.

03-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #62
Veteran Member

The charger might be clocking it's circuit with the AC 60Hz.

I haven't taken a charger apart but might eventually to do a DC conversion for in vehicle. Right now I have mine on an inverter, works OK.
03-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
well it was never a cheap lens but that is a big jump (50% or so from old list) from the old one (which is currently about $1450 around here)What have they added to justify the increase?
They made it ridiculously sharp across the frame like Nikon's 24-70 and reduced flare. The old Canon 24-70 was a laughing stock w/ Canon users...I have a few friends that griped about it a lot
Nikon did the same w/ their 70-200II as well...old one was sharp in the center but not at the edges. New one is sharp all the way across.

And LOL at the folks grousing about AA batteries. Buy 5 of the D-LI90's on fleabay for $6 bucks shipped:
BATTERY for PENTAX D-LI90 DLI90 K-7 K7 DSLR SLR CAMERA | eBay
Each one is good for 400 shots. If you're shooting more than 2000 shots in a week, buy a few more. I shoot around 250-300 shots for a modeling session in 4 hrs on my K20D and the battery gauge doesn't even move off full unless I stick an eye-fi power sucking sd card in there.
They won't go back to AA batteries. The issue is all the new superfast FPS and high speed processing internally needs more power at a higher current than AA batteries can provide for any decent amount of time. I'm actually surprised no one has designed a speedlite that takes these lithium batteries yet...
03-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
They made it ridiculously sharp across the frame like Nikon's 24-70 and reduced flare. The old Canon 24-70 was a laughing stock w/ Canon users...I have a few friends that griped about it a lot
Nikon did the same w/ their 70-200II as well...old one was sharp in the center but not at the edges. New one is sharp all the way across.

And LOL at the folks grousing about AA batteries. Buy 5 of the D-LI90's on fleabay for $6 bucks shipped:
BATTERY for PENTAX D-LI90 DLI90 K-7 K7 DSLR SLR CAMERA | eBay
Each one is good for 400 shots. If you're shooting more than 2000 shots in a week, buy a few more. I shoot around 250-300 shots for a modeling session in 4 hrs on my K20D and the battery gauge doesn't even move off full unless I stick an eye-fi power sucking sd card in there.
They won't go back to AA batteries. The issue is all the new superfast FPS and high speed processing internally needs more power at a higher current than AA batteries can provide for any decent amount of time. I'm actually surprised no one has designed a speedlite that takes these lithium batteries yet...
I wouldn't be surprised to see a Metz update for the big potato mashers take them at some point

03-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #65
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I'm actually surprised no one has designed a speedlite that takes these lithium batteries yet...
That would make a great move for Pentax to put that D-LI90 in a new flash. With that we all would have plenty of oppertunitys to swapp batterypacks and take some spares with us.
03-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That would make a great move for Pentax to put that D-LI90 in a new flash. With that we all would have plenty of oppertunitys to swapp batterypacks and take some spares with us.
an update on the big flash with a DLI 90 would be a fantastic idea, it could convince me to spend the extra over a metz (and I need a new flash my old one is in rough shape)
03-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Yes, that would be totally awesomeness.

03-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #68
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
an update on the big flash with a DLI 90 would be a fantastic idea, it could convince me to spend the extra over a metz (and I need a new flash my old one is in rough shape)
I was wondering about the power, but that would mean a lot more power inside the flash then usual is. So faster cycles and more flashes in it.
03-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
For Pentax. Skip FF and give us a hot rod Medium format camera for landscapes. Mirrorless, No af. Maybe manual and Av exposure modes. Have body take adapter tubes to allow Aps-c, FF, or 645 medium format lenses. Have port for optional external evf. Sell this hotrod for under $2500. Watch it sell
thanks
barondla
It would be like a giant mirrored Dobsonian telescope.

Mirrorless will reduce the market size by 90%. The sensor alone cost more than $2500....
03-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #70
Veteran Member

And on the Sony "just because we have our own fab and can do stuff cheaper than competitors" front...the A99 has 102 cross-type sensors :-O
sonyalpharumors | Blog | (SR4) A99 prototype has an "All Cross 102 point AF" !
Interesting that they're using a 24MP FF sensor and the K-5 successor is rumored to have a 24MP so we might get FF after all! (just kidding...LOL )
03-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #71
Veteran Member

I think the 36 is locked to Nikon until next year at which point Sony will have one as well (they have been rumoured to have 3 ff under development right now - 1 a nex)
there is also a rumour that there will be an updated D700 which will get the 24mp sensor once the 12 mp sensors are depleted
I think the only viable FF sensor for Pentax at the moment is the 24mp Sony. the K5 replacement will be 24MP but the same sensor as the Nex7
I'm still hopeful for the FF being announced this year (though delivery may be closer to 2013)
03-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Mirrorless will reduce the market size by 90%. The sensor alone cost more than $2500....
I want to describe focus peaking as a 'game changer'. That might be overstating it a little, especially when medium format viewfinders are so large, but I can still see a market for a camera that uses all those manual focus lenses.

EVF's are the future, it's just a question of when they reach 'X' market share.
03-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
EVF's are the future, it's just a question of when they reach 'X' market share.
In the late 70's many predicted that digtal watches was the future (and the death of the Swiss watch industry). They were wrong. Optical viewfinder will be the defauslt choice for high-end cameras for the foreseeable future (along with electronic screens).....
03-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
In the late 70's many predicted that digtal watches was the future (and the death of the Swiss watch industry). They were wrong. Optical viewfinder will be the defauslt choice for high-end cameras for the foreseeable future (along with electronic screens).....
My phone's clock is indeed digital. I doubt optical VF's will ever truly die, just like film may never die. But LCD's, etc., are the future, they will gain more and more market share.
03-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
My phone's clock is indeed digital. I doubt optical VF's will ever truly die, just like film may never die. But LCD's, etc., are the future, they will gain more and more market share.
In my experience people under 30 don't wear a watch, except as a fashion accessory (and they have a lot of them for fashion).

They keep time with their phones.

I, OTOH, have two watches - one for business and another for outdoors. They're both more than 10 years old. And 9 OVF's and 3 LCD's.

Times eventually change.