Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What FF does Pentax need to keep you vs the D800?

I'm not much of a FF guy, but I must say that the comparative samples of the D800 vs all others on DPR has impressed me quite a bit.
Overall, it offers a FF camera with even better AF sensitivity over the well regarded D700, expected similar if not better AF than its predecessor, good ISO performance at a 'reasonable' price commensurate to FF offerings, esp. at this level of a camera.
An almost perfect camera for the price, with size/weight being the other only downside of it.

I know we have had threads and threads on FF, but now that the D800, the bar has been raised for Pentax.
So if Pentax is to come up with a FF by year end or early next year.
What would need to be on it to keep you from jumping?

What do we expect for :
Price?
AF expectation?
SR?
ISO?
Features?

Can Pentax even raise up to the challenge?

For me, as I said, I'm not much of a FF guy, but won't mind buying one if one comes out.
I'd settle for :

Either :
FF camera at very low cost (say ~$1800) with everything the same as K5 (Body type, LCD; AF, DR, ISO, etc)

or
FF camera with all the bells and whistles trying to match up the D800 as much as possible, but perhaps a bit poorer in AF and costing as much as the D800 or perhaps $200-300 lower, but not more expensive.

03-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Based on what I've read, I really don't think Pentax will be entering the FF arena any time soon. Having said that, I'm hoping the upcoming K-3 will give the D800 a run for its money(like the K-5 did). That is... if it can enter the FF DR, color and resolution performance then I think Pentax would be well placed to take the lead as best APS-C again this year.
03-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There are already several off these posts, have fun reading them

New FF at ~$1800 will never happen the K5 was $1600 when it was released, so FF for $200 more, just forget it...
03-24-2012, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Attractive as it is as a gadget, I'd still have to justify the D800 to myself by asking: do I need it at all?

My answer at the moment, and for the foreseeable future: no.

The tools I have at the moment are more than adequate for my requirements. My current gear isn't the factor that is holding me back from taking good photos.

These latest-and-greatest gadget merry-go-rounds are fatiguing. One day it's the latest Fuji's as the next 'game changing' camera, next day it's the latest NEX's, now it's the latest Nikon. By the end of 2012 it will be another batch of super-gadgets.

03-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I'm not much of a FF guy, but I must say that the comparative samples of the D800 vs all others on DPR has impressed me quite a bit.
Overall, it offers a FF camera with even better AF sensitivity over the well regarded D700, expected similar if not better AF than its predecessor, good ISO performance at a 'reasonable' price commensurate to FF offerings, esp. at this level of a camera.
An almost perfect camera for the price, with size/weight being the other only downside of it.

I know we have had threads and threads on FF, but now that the D800, the bar has been raised for Pentax.
So if Pentax is to come up with a FF by year end or early next year.
What would need to be on it to keep you from jumping?

What do we expect for :
Price?
AF expectation?
SR?
ISO?
Features?

Can Pentax even raise up to the challenge?

For me, as I said, I'm not much of a FF guy, but won't mind buying one if one comes out.
I'd settle for :

Either :
FF camera at very low cost (say ~$1800) with everything the same as K5 (Body type, LCD; AF, DR, ISO, etc)

or
FF camera with all the bells and whistles trying to match up the D800 as much as possible, but perhaps a bit poorer in AF and costing as much as the D800 or perhaps $200-300 lower, but not more expensive.

Price: Anything reasonable is OK
SR: in camera
AF: Like to see an improvement just so the camera is competitive, but personally don't really need it
ISO Performance: slightly better than D800
Size: much smaller than D800, almost k5 size
LCD: don't care, k5 one is fine
DR: slightly better than D800
Memory: dual SD
03-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote

New FF at ~$1800 will never happen the K5 was $1600 when it was released, so FF for $200 more, just forget it...
I just interested that with all the Pentax FF arguments, what do the majority actually expect to place their money down for a Pentax FF now that D800 is out.
Perhaps I should have just made a poll :

1. FF; as cheap as can be; don't care about functions
2. FF; cheap as good as D800 or better (not too realistic?)
3. FF; a bit cheaper ; but expected to lag the D800 in aspects that Pentax has been known to lag (eg. AF-C) (realistic??)
4. FF; similar priced to D800; worse performance
5. FF; expensive; as good if not better

Or are we really looking at a "No matter what camera Pentax comes out with; I'll will condemn"
03-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Does anyone think a GXR-FF mountor is more likely than a K-FF camera?

03-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I see no need for Pentax to meet the D800 feature-for-feature. That would be an exercise in futility.

Instead, I would prefer that they field a camera that breaks the mold a little bit. Think K-5 + GXR (sort of). What I would envision is a modular FF SLR where the base camera is little more than a sensor, shutter, electronics, mirror box and mount. No AF, no eye-level finder, No onboard flash, with a battery sized to meet the needs of the base features supported. Small, light-weight, and basic. To add AF, you would purchase the grip with the bigger battery to support this power-hungry feature. To add video, slip in an expansion card. Need an optical viewfinder? Remove a panel and slide one on to enable the mirror mechanism. Don't need an optical finder? The camera would default to live view or an accessory finder and the mirror stays up. Want a hybrid viewfinder to be used mirror-up? Simply slide one on.

Get my drift yet? I am talking about a system camera. A game changer, that could be configured for a number of different shooting modalities.

And last, but not least...Bring back the non-crippled mount...

Steve
03-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Get my drift yet? I am talking about a system camera. A game changer, that could be configured for a number of different shooting modalities.

And last, but not least...Bring back the non-crippled mount...

Steve
2012 marks the LXth anniversary of the Asahiflex.
03-24-2012, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To answer the original question I want my Pentax full frame camera to:
  • Take my K mount lenses
  • Have a 100% pentaprism VF
  • Be weather sealed
  • Have in-camera SR
  • Have super clean low ISO performance
  • Have accurate AF (fast wouldn't hurt my feelings either)
  • Be durable and reliable
That is all. Simple.

Stuff I could care less about:
  • Cost, so long as it's under $4k US
  • Video
  • High ISO (above 3200)
  • Frame rate
  • Compactness
  • Video
  • High ISO
  • Bells and whistles
  • Goofy colors
  • Compactness
  • Video
  • And having a big-name designer
There is one thing that the D800 can't do and that's mount K-mount glass. That's really the only advantage Pentax has left in my book, but it is rather important to me. That's what is keeping me with the brand. If Pentax can't get their act together and release a camera that their loyal followers want, then the point of being loyal eludes me. Time is running out, I'm just about ready to move on to greener pastures.
03-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
There is one thing that the D800 can't do and that's mount K-mount glass.
Hmmm... Correction, the D800 can accept their old F-mount lenses and can meter and can record the aperture setting even if you're using the aperture ring.
Anyway, me too, those are things I wanted for my Pentax FF. hehe. And to add what I don't care is the pop-up flash.

Last edited by richard balonglong; 03-24-2012 at 09:49 PM.
03-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote

pretty true. Pentax can sell k5 for $1600 so the next camera they will get more greedy and charge us at $1800, still aps-c though.
I am one to blame ... I paid mine at $1350.

I am really tempted when 5DII is $1999 during thanksgiving... but I have too many Pentax glasses...
03-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #13

We know a FF Pentax DSLR is being "considered".
We don't know if or hopefully when it will hit the market
We know Pentax-Ricoh would only launch a FF DSLR if it offers something different to the competition

Comparison against direct competition is clearly important, particular in attracting new high end users. However, I would have thought that Pentax-Ricoh will primarily consider how a FF DSLR sits in relation to it's own product line-up. They are marching to the beat of their own drum, as proven by the K-01.

As an existing Pentax user, heavily invested in K-mount lenses, the benchmark to beat is currently the K-5 not the D800 or 5D Mark III.
I don;t really care how a FF Pentax compares to the competition. But it would surely be an upgrade from current K-5 which would make it a formidable camera indeed.
03-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

To keep me, they just need to make a FF!

Only a matter of time until its good bye Pentax, Hello D800!
03-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Based on what I've read, I really don't think Pentax will be entering the FF arena any time soon. Having said that, I'm hoping the upcoming K-3 will give the D800 a run for its money(like the K-5 did). That is... if it can enter the FF DR, color and resolution performance then I think Pentax would be well placed to take the lead as best APS-C again this year.
I could be wrong, but I think the K-3 will have the same sensor that's in the NEX-7, so you should be able to see how it stacks up to the D800 right now.

(Of course, Sony may have a whole new sensor in the works for the D400 and Pentax K-3, too...)

To the OP:

Little larger than K-5 with a FF sensor that comes close to the D3s in performance, at least 12MP, with better AF than the K-5 (but doesn't have to quite match the D800 re AF) would probably get some FF dollars from me. I'd order it along with a 43ltd. Price? For what I described, I'd probably pay around $2300, but might pay more if I allowed myself to get wound up about the possibility of a 43ltd + 77ltd + K-1 on my shelf .