Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brandonbpm Quote
I just checked your flickr and saw you've already posted a shot with your new K20D, how do you like it so far?
I only had a few minutes to use it and it was getting dark, but I REALLY like it! The weight will be something to get used to, but it will be much more balanced feeling when using my larger lenses. Also, as you already heard, the egronomics can't be beat. The camera itself is extremely intuitive with all the buttons. I have already pretty much figured out what everything does by just pressing the different buttons last night and cruising through the menu system.

Here is my first photo, taken just a couple of minutes after installing a lens for the first time

I'm heading up into the mountains right now to do some wildlife and landscape photography with it. I can tell, with the very limited use of a couple of hours, that this is one awesome camera.

04-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
I have recently picked up a used K20D locally for US$470 with 24,000+ actuations already. It came with an original battery grip, 2nd battery, 1 f/2 manual 50mm, 1 holga lens, Q strap, body armor. Body was immaculate without dings.

My previous body was a *1st DS. It takes some getting used to the size and weight of the camera with the grip, especially when I tried attaching a AF500FTZ.

2 questions, was the price good for that number of actuations? And, any tips on custom setup for street photography? I almost always have a Sigma 28-200 attached. Have been dreaming of getting a 10-20mm
04-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I can't help on the price. But...
QuoteOriginally posted by gremlin Quote
And, any tips on custom setup for street photography? I almost always have a Sigma 28-200 attached. Have been dreaming of getting a 10-20mm
That depends on what streets you shoot. A basic customization for the K20D when used in P mode with AF lenses is the Program Line setting. (See P.82 in your manual, if you have one.) The options are:

* Normal -- plain vanilla
* Hi-speed -- faster shutter speed is prioritized
* Depth-of-field -- tighter aperture is prioritized
* MTF -- image quality is prioritized

Other street strategies:

* Av mode -- set the aperture wide for fastest shutter
* Tv mode -- set the shutter to a good speed for the focal length used
* TAv mode -- set shutter and aperture for optimal exposures and let ISO float

Keep in mind that you can use slower shutter speeds with wider lenses. With SR on, follow the 1/FL rule for SHARP shots, maybe 3/FL if sharpness isn't paramount.

On bright days if I want thick DOF for from-the-hip shooting I'll stop-down a wide lens and hyperfocus. On dark evenings I'll use the fastest lens possible, wide-open, with an adequate shutter and floating ISO. Remember, ISO noise can be fixed in PP but motion blur can't.

As always, it doesn't hurt to bracket. Or select one of the Continuous Shooting modes (p.117 in the manual): Hi, 3fps for 38 frames; or Lo, 2.3fps until the card fills up. I'll set up my User mode with all my usual settings, plus Continuous Lo, so a quick dial twist puts me into spray-and-pray.

But it all depends on the street. I'll take very different approaches in different parts of cities and towns in daytime vs night. There is no one best setting. Do whatever it takes to get the shot, eh? Good luck!
04-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #19

Thanks RioRico. I will certainly look up using the P mode. I got used to setting to AV most of the time with my *1st DS.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
With SR on, follow the 1/FL rule for SHARP shots, maybe 3/FL if sharpness isn't paramount.
Had to look it up. Thankfully, I found your other post. Thanks for a great advice. I'll be shooting mostly 5pm to 6pm in the tropics. I will try and experiment with a 28mm and a 50mm prime first before getting lazy on the zoom.

(*) -- The old 1/FL rule without SR doesn't really produce pixel-peeper sharp shots. With SR off the rule should be more like 1/5FL. I'll cite Ansel Adams' THE CAMERA on this. SR gives the ~2.5 f-stop advantage needed here.

04-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #20

Everytime I think about upgrading, I remember that I can use the money for better glass and still capture great shots with my k20d!
04-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #21
Pentaxian

After using the K20D for a couple of weeks, on landscape and wildlife, all I can say is that I'm VERY happy with it! I thought the weight/bulk of the K20D with a batterygrip might be a little too much, but it turns out to be a positive. It just seems steadier, more stable in my hands compared to my Kx.

I loved photography before with my Kx, but the K20D has made it even better.

04-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

i've been liking mine as well. got it off CL for 250 and not a clue what i was getting myself into. im getting better, gathering useful equipment and as i look back on older pictures i'm getting better with the camera. At the time you think those pictures are the best and then you look back at them after more practice and your like " man i sucked"
04-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #23
Pentaxian

One serious advantage that newer cameras have is that they come with Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 instead of Pentax Photo Lab. There are so many improvements in DCU4, it's night and day. If you're shooting raw with your K20D (and you should be) and using PPL for conversion, find a way to get DCU4.

04-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
One serious advantage that newer cameras have is that they come with Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4
Although getting it to actually run on a computer without it crashing is a trial in itself!!
04-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Although getting it to actually run on a computer without it crashing is a trial in itself!!
I had start-up issues, but all good now. It's worth the effort.
04-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #26
Veteran Member

If you're shooting raw with your K20D (and you should be) and using PPL for conversion, find a way to get DCU4.
Can anyone here point to a source?
04-20-2012, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Can anyone here point to a source?
I could send the disc that came with my K-x. PM me your address.
04-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is the down load link...In January I upgraded to the K5 from the K20. Originally, I had decided not to upgrade since I have been REALLY happy with the K20. Samy's Camera apparently made a pricing mistake and I just saw the price - knew I would probably never find that price again and pulled the trigger. That said, the K20 with ISO 100 was where I took nearly 99% of my images. The resolution is wonderful, and the controls it provides just makes everything extraordinarily easy. For me its size was pretty perfect, and it handled very well. Going to the K5, ISO 80 along with the improved dynamic range (since I do a lot of ambient low light shots) is worth the change. The new user interface on the rear monitor is also very nice. On the other hand - extracting the SD card from the K5 is something of a nightmare (after the K20). Note to self - I really need to find a pair of forceps. In terms of shear picture taking capability coupled with wonderful camera controls and a great viewfinder- it is very difficult to beat the K20 - it really is that good.

04-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
That link will only help if you already have DCU4 on your computer. It will not upgrade PPB/PPL.

Note, 4.32 linked above is not the latest version. Go here for version 4.35:
PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 Update for Windows : Software Downloads : PENTAX

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-20-2012 at 07:39 AM.
04-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I could send the disc that came with my K-x. PM me your address.
Wow, thanks! I'll PM the particulars.