Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-25-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
Forum Member

Loving my K20D

I recently purchased a used K20D as a second body from the marketplace for around $300 for just the body and I love it. I feel like the K-x helped me learn and grow as an amateur, and the K20D has a ridiculous amount of settings and the low-iso color rendition seems better to me, but I don't know if it is a placebo effect.

Here is a great portrait of my girlfriend I recently took, after some post-processing, I was even more proud of the result.

Unfortunately, the extra resolution on the K20D (I like the extra headroom it gives me for hard-cropping) has left my K-x gathering dust, especially in a studio environment. We all know the k-x has stellar high-iso performance for its value, but can anyone speak on the LOW-iso performance vs the K20D? I am also torn with which body to use for which situation.

Thanks!

03-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice image indeed!
03-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very nice portrait Brandon, your girlfriend also makes a wonderful model. ... I'm also a proud K20d owner and every time I contemplate an upgrade, I am rewarded with a wonderful shot that reminds me just how capable the K20d really is. If you have control over the shooting situation and can shoot lower ISO and not require too much from it's focusing speed, the K20d will perform.

Cheers ...
03-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

When I was transitioning from an advanced P&S to a dSLR, I did a *lot* of analysis of bodies within my budget. That included paying close attention to user reports. What I saw for the competition were many wishes to upgrade immediately. One reason I chose the K20D was because its owners griped less. I wanted a camera that I could live with awhile. I'm beyond employment; I can't afford to upgrade cameras annually. The K20D has been extremely satisfying for these last almost 4 years, and I still don't feel a burning need to blow cash on a new platform.

I'm tempted to grab a Kx or Kr because of their smaller size and better high-ISO performance. I see those more as good-weather low-light pocketable cameras, while the K20D is a do-almost-anything-anywhere workhorse, especially good for for studio work. Great controls; WR and ruggedness; tethering. No, the K20D doesn't do video (except 23 fps bursts), nor ISO 12k, nor zillions of in-body effects. But I rarely leave home without it.

03-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just got a K-5 and I just love using it, however I wouldn't mind having a K20, just for how affordable it is and for how it performs.
03-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very nice portrait! I love my K20D too!
03-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats and happy shootin. Great photo btw!!

I still have my K20D, I could not part with it when I got my K-5. I love them both, I took plenty of good photos with the K20D.

03-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

V. Nice!
03-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I keep thinking that a K20 would be an upgrade to my K-x...
03-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brandonbpm Quote
I recently purchased a used K20D as a second body from the marketplace for around $300 for just the body and I love it. I feel like the K-x helped me learn and grow as an amateur, and the K20D has a ridiculous amount of settings and the low-iso color rendition seems better to me, but I don't know if it is a placebo effect.

Here is a great portrait of my girlfriend I recently took, after some post-processing, I was even more proud of the result.

Unfortunately, the extra resolution on the K20D (I like the extra headroom it gives me for hard-cropping) has left my K-x gathering dust, especially in a studio environment. We all know the k-x has stellar high-iso performance for its value, but can anyone speak on the LOW-iso performance vs the K20D? I am also torn with which body to use for which situation.

Thanks!

I love the low iso performance of both cameras. However, I find everything about using the K20D to be better, so I only use my K-x when I need video or high iso.
03-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brandonbpm Quote

Very nice photo Brandon. I find portraiture by far the toughest challenge.

I have a K20D and K-x. The K20D is my main camera. I get frustrated with the missing and clumsy K-x controls. The K20 toughness is a major advantage in my part of the world, sub-zero cold, snow and rain are pretty common. Size can be an advantage or a disadvantage. I never mount an external flash on the K-x, it's just too ungainly. Over and above handling and build, I prefer the look of K20D images, but my preference extends all the way to anything below ISO 3200. I did this test to try to figure out why I preferred the K20D. https://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/KXK20D?authkey=Gv1sRgCJPoge7bofryvQE#

My conclusions:

- The K-x overexposes a bit, which slightly washes out the colour & contrast compared to the deeply saturated K20 colours.
- Pushing saturation causes K-x images to bloom on reds and yellows, which makes the photo look less sharp
- The K20D has better white balance in daylight, the K-x often goes blue. In tungsten light, and at high ISO, the K-x colours are more accurate than the K20

I carry the K-x when the prime setting is indoor, high ISO, no flash shooting, although I prefer to use a flash and K20 indoors when I can. I will often carry two bodies to avoid lens changes. When I eventually get a new camera, I will keep the K20 and give the K-x to my wife. I tried a K-5 but didn't find it gave me much over what I already had, so I'm waiting to see what Pentax comes out with next.
04-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I keep thinking that a K20 would be an upgrade to my K-x...
I have been thinking the same thing. I've been shooting with the K-x for a year and a half now and it has been great, but the K20D seems to be more of a pro-grade model instead of the consumer-grade K-x.

I just picked up a K20D on the marketplace last night for $390 and a Pentax battery grip from B&H for $56. I can't WAIT for them to arrive!
04-04-2012, 04:29 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your feedback everyone! I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who prefers the K20D's image quality when you don't need really high iso settings. I couldn't be happier with my investment, now I just wish I had an easier time finding things to shoot.
04-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
When I was transitioning from an advanced P&S to a dSLR, I did a *lot* of analysis of bodies within my budget. That included paying close attention to user reports. What I saw for the competition were many wishes to upgrade immediately. One reason I chose the K20D was because its owners griped less. I wanted a camera that I could live with awhile. I'm beyond employment; I can't afford to upgrade cameras annually. The K20D has been extremely satisfying for these last almost 4 years, and I still don't feel a burning need to blow cash on a new platform.

I'm tempted to grab a Kx or Kr because of their smaller size and better high-ISO performance. I see those more as good-weather low-light pocketable cameras, while the K20D is a do-almost-anything-anywhere workhorse, especially good for for studio work. Great controls; WR and ruggedness; tethering. No, the K20D doesn't do video (except 23 fps bursts), nor ISO 12k, nor zillions of in-body effects. But I rarely leave home without it.
Rico, your post just about convinces me that a K20 is the right replacement for my dead K10. I've never shot video in my life, have no inclination to either, I shoot at the lowest ISO possible, I have big hands and like a big camera, I want weatherproof because my camera and I have been known to fall into rivers. We've both survived.
All I want is a tough bit of kit that does the job I want. The K10 has done the job admirably for many years, but I think an upgrade to k20 will be equally rewarding.
04-07-2012, 02:45 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
I have been thinking the same thing. I've been shooting with the K-x for a year and a half now and it has been great, but the K20D seems to be more of a pro-grade model instead of the consumer-grade K-x.

I just picked up a K20D on the marketplace last night for $390 and a Pentax battery grip from B&H for $56. I can't WAIT for them to arrive!
I just checked your flickr and saw you've already posted a shot with your new K20D, how do you like it so far?