Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
Forum Member
brandonbpm's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 86
Loving my K20D

I recently purchased a used K20D as a second body from the marketplace for around $300 for just the body and I love it. I feel like the K-x helped me learn and grow as an amateur, and the K20D has a ridiculous amount of settings and the low-iso color rendition seems better to me, but I don't know if it is a placebo effect.

Here is a great portrait of my girlfriend I recently took, after some post-processing, I was even more proud of the result.


Unfortunately, the extra resolution on the K20D (I like the extra headroom it gives me for hard-cropping) has left my K-x gathering dust, especially in a studio environment. We all know the k-x has stellar high-iso performance for its value, but can anyone speak on the LOW-iso performance vs the K20D? I am also torn with which body to use for which situation.

Thanks!

03-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Very nice image indeed!
03-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Senior Member
Hawki's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Face of Mount Shasta
Photos: Albums
Posts: 107
Very nice portrait Brandon, your girlfriend also makes a wonderful model. ... I'm also a proud K20d owner and every time I contemplate an upgrade, I am rewarded with a wonderful shot that reminds me just how capable the K20d really is. If you have control over the shooting situation and can shoot lower ISO and not require too much from it's focusing speed, the K20d will perform.

Cheers ...
03-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
When I was transitioning from an advanced P&S to a dSLR, I did a *lot* of analysis of bodies within my budget. That included paying close attention to user reports. What I saw for the competition were many wishes to upgrade immediately. One reason I chose the K20D was because its owners griped less. I wanted a camera that I could live with awhile. I'm beyond employment; I can't afford to upgrade cameras annually. The K20D has been extremely satisfying for these last almost 4 years, and I still don't feel a burning need to blow cash on a new platform.

I'm tempted to grab a Kx or Kr because of their smaller size and better high-ISO performance. I see those more as good-weather low-light pocketable cameras, while the K20D is a do-almost-anything-anywhere workhorse, especially good for for studio work. Great controls; WR and ruggedness; tethering. No, the K20D doesn't do video (except 23 fps bursts), nor ISO 12k, nor zillions of in-body effects. But I rarely leave home without it.

03-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member
BirdDude007's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Las Vegas NV
Photos: Albums
Posts: 505
I just got a K-5 and I just love using it, however I wouldn't mind having a K20, just for how affordable it is and for how it performs.
03-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Senior Member
zekewhipper's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 298
Very nice portrait! I love my K20D too!
03-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
EricBrown's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arlington, VA USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 744
Congrats and happy shootin. Great photo btw!!

I still have my K20D, I could not part with it when I got my K-5. I love them both, I took plenty of good photos with the K20D.
03-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NE, USA
Posts: 1,302
V. Nice!

03-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member
DaveHolmes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 1,501
I keep thinking that a K20 would be an upgrade to my K-x...
03-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
QuoteOriginally posted by brandonbpm Quote
I recently purchased a used K20D as a second body from the marketplace for around $300 for just the body and I love it. I feel like the K-x helped me learn and grow as an amateur, and the K20D has a ridiculous amount of settings and the low-iso color rendition seems better to me, but I don't know if it is a placebo effect.

Here is a great portrait of my girlfriend I recently took, after some post-processing, I was even more proud of the result.


Unfortunately, the extra resolution on the K20D (I like the extra headroom it gives me for hard-cropping) has left my K-x gathering dust, especially in a studio environment. We all know the k-x has stellar high-iso performance for its value, but can anyone speak on the LOW-iso performance vs the K20D? I am also torn with which body to use for which situation.

Thanks!

I love the low iso performance of both cameras. However, I find everything about using the K20D to be better, so I only use my K-x when I need video or high iso.
03-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,684
QuoteOriginally posted by brandonbpm Quote
I recently purchased a used K20D as a second body from the marketplace for around $300 for just the body and I love it. I feel like the K-x helped me learn and grow as an amateur, and the K20D has a ridiculous amount of settings and the low-iso color rendition seems better to me, but I don't know if it is a placebo effect.

Unfortunately, the extra resolution on the K20D (I like the extra headroom it gives me for hard-cropping) has left my K-x gathering dust, especially in a studio environment. We all know the k-x has stellar high-iso performance for its value, but can anyone speak on the LOW-iso performance vs the K20D? I am also torn with which body to use for which situation.
Very nice photo Brandon. I find portraiture by far the toughest challenge.

I have a K20D and K-x. The K20D is my main camera. I get frustrated with the missing and clumsy K-x controls. The K20 toughness is a major advantage in my part of the world, sub-zero cold, snow and rain are pretty common. Size can be an advantage or a disadvantage. I never mount an external flash on the K-x, it's just too ungainly. Over and above handling and build, I prefer the look of K20D images, but my preference extends all the way to anything below ISO 3200. I did this test to try to figure out why I preferred the K20D. https://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/KXK20D?authkey=Gv1sRgCJPoge7bofryvQE#

My conclusions:

- The K-x overexposes a bit, which slightly washes out the colour & contrast compared to the deeply saturated K20 colours.
- Pushing saturation causes K-x images to bloom on reds and yellows, which makes the photo look less sharp
- The K20D has better white balance in daylight, the K-x often goes blue. In tungsten light, and at high ISO, the K-x colours are more accurate than the K20

I carry the K-x when the prime setting is indoor, high ISO, no flash shooting, although I prefer to use a flash and K20 indoors when I can. I will often carry two bodies to avoid lens changes. When I eventually get a new camera, I will keep the K20 and give the K-x to my wife. I tried a K-5 but didn't find it gave me much over what I already had, so I'm waiting to see what Pentax comes out with next.
04-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Colorado CJ's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Colorado
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,296
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I keep thinking that a K20 would be an upgrade to my K-x...
I have been thinking the same thing. I've been shooting with the K-x for a year and a half now and it has been great, but the K20D seems to be more of a pro-grade model instead of the consumer-grade K-x.

I just picked up a K20D on the marketplace last night for $390 and a Pentax battery grip from B&H for $56. I can't WAIT for them to arrive!
04-04-2012, 04:29 AM   #13
Forum Member
brandonbpm's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 86
Original Poster
Thanks for your feedback everyone! I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who prefers the K20D's image quality when you don't need really high iso settings. I couldn't be happier with my investment, now I just wish I had an easier time finding things to shoot.
04-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Lloydy's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 1,114
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
When I was transitioning from an advanced P&S to a dSLR, I did a *lot* of analysis of bodies within my budget. That included paying close attention to user reports. What I saw for the competition were many wishes to upgrade immediately. One reason I chose the K20D was because its owners griped less. I wanted a camera that I could live with awhile. I'm beyond employment; I can't afford to upgrade cameras annually. The K20D has been extremely satisfying for these last almost 4 years, and I still don't feel a burning need to blow cash on a new platform.

I'm tempted to grab a Kx or Kr because of their smaller size and better high-ISO performance. I see those more as good-weather low-light pocketable cameras, while the K20D is a do-almost-anything-anywhere workhorse, especially good for for studio work. Great controls; WR and ruggedness; tethering. No, the K20D doesn't do video (except 23 fps bursts), nor ISO 12k, nor zillions of in-body effects. But I rarely leave home without it.
Rico, your post just about convinces me that a K20 is the right replacement for my dead K10. I've never shot video in my life, have no inclination to either, I shoot at the lowest ISO possible, I have big hands and like a big camera, I want weatherproof because my camera and I have been known to fall into rivers. We've both survived.
All I want is a tough bit of kit that does the job I want. The K10 has done the job admirably for many years, but I think an upgrade to k20 will be equally rewarding.
04-07-2012, 02:45 AM   #15
Forum Member
brandonbpm's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 86
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
I have been thinking the same thing. I've been shooting with the K-x for a year and a half now and it has been great, but the K20D seems to be more of a pro-grade model instead of the consumer-grade K-x.

I just picked up a K20D on the marketplace last night for $390 and a Pentax battery grip from B&H for $56. I can't WAIT for them to arrive!
I just checked your flickr and saw you've already posted a shot with your new K20D, how do you like it so far?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, camera, dslr, k-x, k20d, performance, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loving film Shuttershane Pentax Medium Format 10 03-11-2012 07:14 PM
Black & White Loving Hand daacon Post Your Photos! 5 09-16-2011 06:57 AM
Hi all! New to Photography and loving it! JDaughtry Welcomes and Introductions 3 07-24-2011 01:27 AM
People Loving couple devisor Post Your Photos! 7 06-16-2011 07:22 AM
Nature Loving the DA 55-300mm joodiespost Post Your Photos! 17 05-28-2010 12:13 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:42 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top