Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which Pentax body for IR conversion?

Playeed with friends IR modified drebel. Now I need some IR magic. Have a K10D, K20D, and K-7 ( my top camera at the moment). Which would you modify for infra red and why?
Thanks
barondla

03-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm no expert, but if it were me, I'd convert my 'lesser' camera....in this case theK10d?
03-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would say the K10
03-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
On K20 and K-7 you have live view which could be a benefit when composing IR.

I guess that you know what you are doing and you know the price of it. I wanted to play with IR as well, and found out that far cheaper way was to get a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9 (a night mode enabled camera) and remove the microswitch telling the camera that night mode is enabled. Then I just added a 720nm infrared filter in front and I have an IR camera with all settings available for under 200$. I do have some problems with image quality on extreme zooms, and some hotspots when shooting towards light sources, but still it was a rather cheap and affordable way to try IR photography.

03-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #5

Me,too!

Stanislav, can you describe the mechanics of the switch disablement? I have a V3 I want to convert and haven't yet decided which way to go with it. The V3, being older, may well be totally different inside from your camera but if it points me in the right direction it would be a help.

BFN
David
03-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #6

Well here is a link that I saw before i bought the camera second-hand on the ebay:

Then I just got 74-72mm step-down ring and 72mm cheap IR filter (I took 720nm, but I am actually thinking of geting even say 860nm just to compare). All in all it was just short of 200$ and it took a bit more than an hour to do the conversion itself.

Hope that this helps

/Stanislav

PS here is example photo:

And more photos (and many more to come) can be found at: IR - a set on Flickr
03-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thats well simple.... The cheapest.... because your turning it into a single use camera.

03-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Neat idea Stanislav. Didn't realize this could be done so easily. I will still go the DSLR route since I have been doing IR for a while ( film) and have plenty of bodies to choose from.
thanks
barondla
03-26-2012, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Thats well simple.... The cheapest.... because your turning it into a single use camera.
If you were talking about the Sony, then it is not a single use camera. I can still use it as ordinary camera when I "turn" the night shot mode off and remove (unscrew) the IR filter. I can also use it as a hybrid camera with night shot and without filter.

What that microswitch does is just to tell the camera that it is in night-shot mode, so the camera gives a "greenish" look to photos, boosts ISO and turns off all manual settings.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Neat idea Stanislav. Didn't realize this could be done so easily. I will still go the DSLR route since I have been doing IR for a while ( film) and have plenty of bodies to choose from.
Yes it is a neat Idea. I have been thinking about it for some time, and realised that this is the easiest and cheapiest way forward.

I am looking forward to see your IR magic done with some real equipment
03-27-2012, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #10

I've converted a number of Pentaxes and their Samsung equivalents. I also started with a Sony F707, but the conversion on that involved actually removing the sliding hot mirror and replacing it with clear glass, then using a filter on the lens.

Regarding the difficulties of conversion, the older ones are the easiest. The *ist DL/DL2 and Samsung GX1L have relatively few wires to undo and the sensor assembly is in a fixed position. No shake reduction mechanism to worry about. The K10D/K20D are harder due to more wires, and the sensor is on adjustable mounts that need to be set correctly. The K-7 has even more wires and a very fiddly sensor assembly due to the ultrasonic shaker. I'm not sure I'd want to do a K-7 again

On the other hand, the older bodies need the AF adjusted in debug mode for each lens while the K-7 can use Live View and contrast AF. The K20D is somewhere in between, it still needs AF adjust but it has a rather rudimentary Live View so at least you can see what the scene looks like in IR. I used 830nm filters on all my conversions.

Nearly all the images on my website are with my converted Pentaxes plus a handful with the old Sony.
03-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanislav Quote
If you were talking about the Sony, then it is not a single use camera. I can still use it as ordinary camera when I "turn" the night shot mode off and remove (unscrew) the IR filter. I can also use it as a hybrid camera with night shot and without filter.

What that microswitch does is just to tell the camera that it is in night-shot mode, so the camera gives a "greenish" look to photos, boosts ISO and turns off all manual settings.

Yes it is a neat Idea. I have been thinking about it for some time, and realised that this is the easiest and cheapiest way forward.

I am looking forward to see your IR magic done with some real equipment
Cool... I didnt think that was possable
03-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #12

Thank you

Thank you for the link, Stanislav. Watching the video I realised that there may be a lot in common between the H9 and the V3. I'll get my screwdrivers out and dive in a little more deeply and see what I find.

BFN
David
03-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Since the Sony can be used as a regular camera I may look for one of those too. Already have IR filters. Could be a great carry around set up.

Karma mechanic, thanks for the info. Was afraid the K-7 was the most desirable. Spencers charges the same price to alter any of the Pentax cameras, so the fiddillyness of conversion doesn't matter. Eventually looking to upgrade K-7 want to see what the next body is before buying K-5. Since live view and contrast focus is so useful makes me think the new K-01 would be great. Arghhh.

Karma mechanic, which Pentax do you use the most for IR?
Stanislav, I don't consider the Sony lesser equipment. Just like to shoot IR wiith wide angles and figure the Sony doesn't do 24 or wider equivalent. Will check that out though.
thanks
barondla ( have to figure out which IR filter to get)
03-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Stanislav, I don't consider the Sony lesser equipment. Just like to shoot IR wiith wide angles and figure the Sony doesn't do 24 or wider equivalent. Will check that out though.
thanks
barondla ( have to figure out which IR filter to get)
No offence taken.

Even if you do not consider Sony lesser equipment, I do. It is not an DSLR (no interchangable lenses), it has small sensor, only electronic viewfinder (with lcd screen)... The downside of this approach is that the filter is in front which can lead to multiple reflections between the front element of the lens and back-side of filter. That is seen later as hotspotting or ghosting. However I can still live with that since this was an affordable way to enter IR world. H9 is by no means wide - lens is 5.2-78mm with f2.7-45 (31-465mm FF equivalent), but it has more than decen macro capability. For wider photos, I would have to go with some 72mm wide-angle front adapter, which would probably degrade IQ so much that it woudln't be worth. On the other hand, if I find some 72mm wide angle converter, I'll make some photos and post for reference.
03-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Here are a couple of companies that do conversions. Anyone try them...feedback?

Precision Camera - Infrared Digital Camera Conversion Service

Spencers Camera & Photo Digital Camera Infrared (IR) Conversions, Modifications and IR Photography :: Welcome

I would not convert a non dslr that I could not use my lenses on it.

Karma Mechanic...your website is...FANTASTIC!