Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upgrade K-x firmware

I have just successfully upgraded my K-x from version 1.00 to the latest version of firmware 1.03. By following the instructions in the readme file the firmware bin file comes with I have an up to date camera instead of an expensive novelty paper weight.
I was for, want of a better word, "bricking" it as it did its thing but thankfully it did exactly what the instructions said it would do. I have yet to see what, apart from better battery usage facilities, the upgrade gives me. perhaps someone in the know could be good enough to let us what differences there are. many thanks in advance my fellow Pentaxians.

03-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1.02 added the ability to use SDXC cards, 1.03 fixed a bug with SDXC cards that only some users experienced.
03-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As you note, the jump from v1.00 mainly just improved battery metering, something that a lot of K-x users (mainly those who weren't using glorious Eneloops) reported problems with.
03-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Enjoy your K-x, its a very sweet little camera.

03-27-2012, 06:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everybody, I am pleased I did the upgrade but I find myself thinking "Did I need to?" The battery usage display is improved, but I hadn't realised it was bad in the first place and I can use the new whizz bang super huge memory cards.
I read somewhere that there are different/enhanced/more capture modes. Does anybody know if this is true or if I'm going prematurely senile!!!
03-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #6

I had 1.02 or whatever number before the last firmware and did not update it. i don't use SDXC, so no point in doing the update.
03-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Drew Hillier Quote
I am pleased I did the upgrade but I find myself thinking "Did I need to?"
If you started from V1.00 then the simple answer is 'Yes'
03-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
I had 1.02 or whatever number before the last firmware and did not update it. i don't use SDXC, so no point in doing the update.
It's pretty common practice for Pentax to include a few things in each upgrade to the firmware that they do not publicly announce. So, you probably got some tweaks to the K-x's performance that you were not aware of but helped. The same probably holds true for v1.03 and its been out for some time without any concerns expressed about problems, so why not upgrade?

03-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It's pretty common practice for Pentax to include a few things in each upgrade to the firmware that they do not publicly announce. So, you probably got some tweaks to the K-x's performance that you were not aware of but helped. The same probably holds true for v1.03 and its been out for some time without any concerns expressed about problems, so why not upgrade?
i haven't seen anybody to say that something was improved after the last firmware, so why upgrade? For each upgrade there is a 0,0000..X% (at least) chance that something will go wrong.
06-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #10
Forum Member

K-x firmware flash with video

Bought a K-x "as-is" for repair and found it still had the 1.00 firmware on it. I did notice the battery indicator showed red on my fresh Ni-Mh batteries (tested prior to flash) and after the upgrade the battery indicator showed a 2/3 charge. Total time for update on a class? card was 20 seconds for stage 1/2 and 55 seconds for stage 2/2.
06-27-2015, 04:48 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As I recall, you get to choose the cross processing effect, instead of it being random.