Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by travis_cooper Quote
I thought there was a timed setting for remote, 3 seconds or something like that. The other alternative is the 12 second timer, that should give you plenty of time to get everything settled down again.
The 3 second timer is only for the wireless remote. The 12 second timer doesn't lock up the mirror.

01-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
The 3 second timer is only for the wireless remote. The 12 second timer doesn't lock up the mirror.
Okay, then just don't listen to me. I have never tried either so I wasn't sure. I'll just quietly watch from the sidelines now.
01-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope you weren't offended by that. It wasn't my intent.
01-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #19
Inactive Account

It seems that C & N both have something to learn in the area of mirror lock up. From Michael Reichman's write up of the D3:

QuoteQuote:
Regular readers will know that this was coming – right? I have chastised Canon for years for not having a dedicated mirror lock-up button. Even Canon models with programmable buttons (or the useless Direct Print button) can't be programmed to provide mirror lock up, though it would just take a few lines of programming to do this. No, for some reason Canon has a perverse and persistent aversion to providing an easily accessible mirror lock up capability.

Nikon on the other hand provides MLU as a standard setting on their shooting mode command dial, giving it equal prominence to single fame and high speed shooting, and have done so for years. Needless to say, because of the type of shooting that I do I find this to be a real bonus on Nikon bodies. Nikon, go to the front of the class on this one.

But wait! Nikon's flaw is that you can't combine MLU with self timer? What's with that? Why can't either of these companies get it right?
I find it simply inexcusable not to implememt mirror lock up with the 12 sec. timer, or to make it available with remote release. In any case, Pentax isn't alone on this one. ch