Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #1

Mirror-Lockup no more than 2sec ?

hey all

1) how can I get more than 2 sec mirror lockup ?

And I bought a remote control and I want to use it with mirror lock up and it doesn't work ! In the menu I have to either select 2sec timer or remote ... USELESS for macro !!!!!!

2) If I buy a remote release shutter , can I press a button to lock the mirror up and press again for shutter ?

3) Idiot new cameras why don't they have an option to setup the time you want for mirror lock up ? It is so easy sometimes to program some things in to the software...

When I shoot at 5x-7x magnification , the 2 sec mirror lockup isn't enough and most of my pics are blurred even though perfectly focussed .

Last edited by mer; 01-09-2008 at 11:09 PM.
01-10-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

1. you can't.

2. No.
01-10-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
1. you can't.

2. No.
Does it mean we cant't use mirror lock up with remote?!?
That's bad, very bad news...
01-10-2008, 01:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I remember correctly, the 3 s remote has ML.
Cannot test it at the moment.

01-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mer Quote

When I shoot at 5x-7x magnification , the 2 sec mirror lockup isn't enough and most of my pics are blurred even though perfectly focussed .

Would a heavier tripod not hold the camera steady enough?
01-10-2008, 01:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
It certainly does with the K10D. And the K100D manual seems very similar.
01-10-2008, 02:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Does it mean we cant't use mirror lock up with remote?!?
That's bad, very bad news...
With a wire remote, (don’t know about wireless) you can have the 2sec delayed ML, but not the function the OP described at point 2.

01-10-2008, 02:50 AM   #8
mer

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Would a heavier tripod not hold the camera steady enough?
I am not sure but it might . I have tested with a heavy tripod and it doesn't work . Remember that 5x-7x magnification is very much , even if a car passes by the street near your house , you get a blurry pic ( especially if you live in a UK house , most of them have wood floors , not good construction ) .

QuoteQuote:
With a wire remote, (don’t know about wireless) you can have the 2sec delayed ML, but not the function the OP described at point 2.
I know but as I said 2 sec isn't enough .

QuoteQuote:
It certainly does with the K10D. And the K100D manual seems very similar.
When I go to the menu with my K100D I have to either select 2sec delay ( which also does mirror lock up ) or select remote control trigger .... BUT it doesn't do mirror lock up with 12sec delay ... why ? Can you explain me how to set-up 2s or more mirror lock up with remote ?

So is there ANY , ANY way to get a mirror lock up more than 3-4 seconds with pentax k10d or k100d . I have a k100d but if there is a way to manually or more than 2 sec to lock the mirror up prior to exposure with a k10d , I guess I will have to buy the k10d ... just for the mirror lock up

Thanks guys....

Last edited by mer; 01-10-2008 at 03:52 AM.
01-10-2008, 03:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just to make sure to understand you correctly:
2 s MLU is not enough for you because the camera is still shaking after 2 s?

Perhaps you should buy a more sturdy tripod or repro stand?
01-10-2008, 03:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

To dampen the vibrations you can also try to hang some heavy cloth over the camera/lens.
01-10-2008, 03:48 AM   #11
mer

Original Poster
Just to make sure to understand you correctly:
2 s MLU is not enough for you because the camera is still shaking after 2 s?

Perhaps you should buy a more sturdy tripod or repro stand?
Yes thats right . Shooting at high magnifications , like 5x-10x , 2s is not enough . About half of my pics have blur but they are perfectly focussed . I have to shoot x4 the same photograph to get one or two good shots , depends on the magnification . Also , I have to use extreme light conditions ( more than a sunny day ) , but most of my exposures are in the 1sec - 1/15sec , where mirror lock vibrations is most apparent .

Yes, perhaps, I should buy a repro stand , but does that guarantee me that it will solve my problem ? It might not . I am saying this because I have used the camera on both hard table ,with all kind of inventions, and a heavy tripod but both did not solve 100% the problem .

The proper solution is manual mirror lock up , fire the shutter whenever you want . If there is no way to get more than 4 sec to get away with the mirror lock up vibration , I will have to get a very heavy repro stand which may solve the problem .

Thanks
01-10-2008, 06:13 AM   #12

You're absolutely correct. Pentax K10D has a 3 second mirror lockup with the remote.
If that isn't enough then perhaps you should give the 'cloth over the lens' method that Gimbal mentioned.

I just saw that you had a K100D, I don't know if 3 sec delay is an option there.

Regards,
Beej80
01-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mer Quote
Yes thats right . Shooting at high magnifications , like 5x-10x , 2s is not enough . About half of my pics have blur but they are perfectly focussed . I have to shoot x4 the same photograph to get one or two good shots , depends on the magnification . Also , I have to use extreme light conditions ( more than a sunny day ) , but most of my exposures are in the 1sec - 1/15sec , where mirror lock vibrations is most apparent .

Yes, perhaps, I should buy a repro stand , but does that guarantee me that it will solve my problem ? It might not . I am saying this because I have used the camera on both hard table ,with all kind of inventions, and a heavy tripod but both did not solve 100% the problem .

The proper solution is manual mirror lock up , fire the shutter whenever you want . If there is no way to get more than 4 sec to get away with the mirror lock up vibration , I will have to get a very heavy repro stand which may solve the problem .

Thanks
Did you turn off Shake Reduction when you put your camera on the tripod? If you don't you will have the SR creating shake rather than reducing it.
01-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I thought there was a timed setting for remote, 3 seconds or something like that. The other alternative is the 12 second timer, that should give you plenty of time to get everything settled down again.
01-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Just a thought mer, but if you can't get it steady enough you might have to make up a stand that locks onto both your camera and the subject. That way they'll both move together, so any little ground shake won't effect the image.