Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your thoughts please re focusing screen

Hello all.
I currently have a IST DS converted to a dedicated b&w IR body and a K200D. I just got a k2000 with the idea of making it a dedicated body for my old m42 lenses and eventually having the focus screen replaced. With the thought that it would make manual focusing easier. However I find that I am getting great results manually focusing with the camera as it is. I guess my question is would you should I go ahead and change the focusing screen? Any input would be great.
Thanks, Scott

03-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Simple solution. If it ain't broke. Don't fix it.
03-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Simple solution. If it ain't broke. Don't fix it.
I second that.
03-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1
Results are all that count.

I replaced the screen in my k-x and found it helped me a lot. When I bought the k-5 I assumed I would do the same but after trying it out I found I was getting goods results with the stock screen so I left it as is.

You can always change it, but wait until you are dissatisfied before changing anything.

03-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It depends on your eyes. My delaminating eyeballs need all the help I can get when shooting my old MF lenses.

I replaced the stock screen on my K20D with a katzeye-clone and it helps in the right conditions, with contrasty well-lit subjects. But it's not enough. So I depend on focus confirmation and catch-in-focus. I think of the order of usefulness as: 1) the screen gets me in the neighborhood; 2) focus confirmation puts me almost there; 3) CIF nails it.

In other circumstances I depend on zone-focus. (If the zone extends to infinity, it's hyperfocus.) This is especially vital if I'm in bright glare-y light and can barely see what's in the viewfinder. Set the zone, judge distances, wave the camera in the right direction, and shoot.

How much would a focus screen help you? Probably not as much as you hope.

Last edited by RioRico; 03-27-2012 at 01:30 PM.
03-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your input. I think that I will stick with the current screen for now and get a better feel for the camera and my manual focus lenses.