Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SD card formatting

Are SD cards interchangeable between K5 and K7 camera bodies? Or must they be formatted separately for each camera model?

03-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes. No.
03-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are interchangeable. As long as the type of SD card is supported by the camera, you can use it on any camera. All of mine just create new file folders. I use them on a K-7 and my sony p&s without formatting or erasing old pictures.
03-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
SD card formatting

Thanks for the info.

03-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Funny I put a brand new one in mine took one pic and it said it was full, reformatted then all was good...

JJ
03-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Yes. No.
Without formatting there might be a slight wrinkle/snafu

IF the folder and filename conventions on the K-7 and K-5 are the same
then the next photo on the other camera may be named as the next contiguous filename,
perhaps even saved in the same folder.

This is dependent on various conditions -
normally the filename number follows the ones on the card if the SD card contains filename numbers greater than the most recent shot for the camera in use.

Whether or not the photo ends up in the same folder depends on how folders are set up on the camera in use.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 03-28-2012 at 12:59 PM.
03-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Without formatting there might be a slight wrinkle/snafu
Yes a camera may use existing folders and filenames if it see understands them, but it is not specifically related to formating or lack of formating a card in a specific camera or computer.

03-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Yes a camera may use existing folders and filenames if it see understands them, but it is not specifically related to formating or lack of formating a card in a specific camera or computer.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough -
with a formatted card there is nothing on which the camera has to take into account -
so it will create and use the next filename number in sequence (that the camera knows),
as it would do if no card swapping takes place.

But if a card from another camera with images/folders is used -
and if that other camera uses the same filename/folder convention
and the last filename number is greater than the last known/stored by the current camera-
there may be the possibility that the filename numbering sequence may follow those already on the card (from the other camera) -
whereas if the card was formatted - this would not happen -
thus in that way it is dependent on whether the card was formatted before use or not -
or have I misunderstood you?
03-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never format your card in your computer - it could easily be unreadable in the camera.

Never format a card in one camera body and then expect it to work properly in another - and I'm talking serial numbers here, not models. You might get lucky, but you could also get unlucky and put a couple of hundred images on a card and lose them all.
03-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Never format your card in your computer - it could easily be unreadable in the camera.

Never format a card in one camera body and then expect it to work properly in another - and I'm talking serial numbers here, not models. You might get lucky, but you could also get unlucky and put a couple of hundred images on a card and lose them all.
+1 to that! The only problems I have had with the K5 have been when I formatted a card in the computer. Take the 5-6 seconds to format EACH time you put the card back into the camera after being in a computer.
03-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
it is dependent on whether the card was formatted before use or not -
or have I misunderstood you?
Probably you misunderstand me. The card must be formatted once before it can be used. Any further formatting is strictly optional.

fredok1 question was;
QuoteOriginally posted by fredok1 Quote
must they be formatted separately for each camera model?
The answer is no, it doesn't matter what formated the card, camera or computer will be fine. Any that I have were factory formatted before I bought them are fine too.

Some use the format command to erase the card, it's not a requirement, but if that is the way one wants to do it's OK.
03-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Never format a card in one camera body and then expect it to work properly in another
Why?

Why?
03-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The reason not to format a card anywhere but in the camera is so that the camera will be able to read and write to the card RELIABLY. I can quote any number of sources that agree with me about this. The latest such instruction I read was in the Lightroom 3 book by Nat Coalson. This has not much to do with SD cards and a whole bunch about how magnetic media read/write cycles work.

I started fighting magnetic media in 1971, and I know exactly what can happen when one tape/disk/card reader/writer is ever so slightly off adjustment from another. Your camera does not have the tolerance limits of your computer - they are tighter. Writing requires tighter tolerances than reading. Your camera is much more likely to go out of adjustment than your computer. Format in camera. You can ignore me, I won't be the one losing images. It won't bother me in the slightest. Yes I am anal; I am, I am, I am, guilty, guilty, guilty. I don't take chances I don't have to.

Probably space wasting habit follows.
I never delete images from a card, I always format it when I put it in the camera for the next card full of images. I have been told that this is not necessary, the cards don't work like spinning disks, but old habits die hard. I'm still amazed at how many images I can get on a single card compared to film, so I don't notice the lack of space taken up by undeleted out of focus pictures of my left foot. (Scott Kelby disagrees with me on this one). I always have a spare card (formatted in my camera) in my battery grip anyway.
03-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

the cards don't work like spinning disks
That is correct!!!!

I know exactly what can happen when one tape/disk/card reader/writer is ever so slightly off adjustment from another
I expect anyone who used "floppy" disks experienced this but cards don't work like spinning disks.

Your camera does not have the tolerance limits of your computer - they are tighter. Writing requires tighter tolerances than reading. Your camera is much more likely to go out of adjustment than your computer.
I'm sorry but this is complete nonsense. There are no moving parts involved in reading or writing an SD card, there is no mechanical tolerance.

If you have a system that works for you that's great, even if it's base on 40 year old problems with a completely different media. I just get tired of this old sock repeatedly being toted as the way and the only way.
03-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
For all the time it takes to do, I always format the card in the camera I'm about to use, that way I know there will be no issues.