Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Help! I Need a Flash Diffuser Quick!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi All. I have a Metz 50 AF-1 Flash and I need one of those rectangle flash diffusers. The thing is, I need it for Saturday. I won't have time to get one on ebay. Does anyone know if there is a generic one that might fit that I can pick up from a Best Buy or Frys (I live in Las Vegas)? Any ideas?

03-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #2

Hi,

if you are that stuffed for time mate, use some white tissue paper over the flash head. Works a treat!

If you are doing fashion, use light yellow paper to get the skin tones.

Bill
03-28-2012, 01:23 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a thin sheet of opaque plastic and velco works wonders, or a small rectangle cut out of a white shower curtain, with an elastic band.... there's lots of ways to make the flash diffuser for a few cents
03-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
Inactive Account

DIYPhotography.net | Photography and Studio Lighting Some good ideas on this site.

03-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's only Wednesday - surely there are plenty of places that do overnight delivery from Cal. ?
03-28-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A cash register receipt works very well too, and can probably be held in place with a rubber band. Be sure to put the printed side out, it's heat sensitive and a half dozen flashes will turn it black. The back side is not heat sensitive and will last all day. I've used these quite a few times, folded into an envelope over the built in flash, works great. Never needed one on the add on flash, it has adjustable power options. As long as you mark the print side, you can probably get a blank one from any store easily. I just asked the clerk at a local convenience store for a 6 inch one, she gave me 3 feet...it had a store ID printed at the top so which side out was easy. I found it to be a great diffuser.
03-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
Inactive Account

+ 1 on till receipts. A venue I go to fairly often is so used to me that they reel some off when they see me coming... I sometimes use two pieces in a cross pattern so the flash head is entirely enclosed.

As an aside, I just got one of these eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace and it's great - gives much better results than I thought it could considering how tiny it is, even with the flash mounted on-camera. If you fit it at 90° on the head then it's always pointing forwards whether in landscape or portrait. I like it so much I've ordered a second one with a gold (rather than silver) reflector inside. At that price, it's not a lot to pay for the experiment. Forgot to say, I have a couple of sizes of the rectangular diffusers and I think I prefer the one I linked to. The results are better, it fits more quickly and easily, and is a lot smaller so stores more conveniently and is less likely to get knocked about in use.

Last edited by wildweasel; 03-28-2012 at 05:17 AM.
03-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
As an aside, I just got one of these eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace and it's great - gives much better results than I thought it could considering how tiny it is, even with the flash mounted on-camera. If you fit it at 90° on the head then it's always pointing forwards whether in landscape or portrait. I like it so much I've ordered a second one with a gold (rather than silver) reflector inside. At that price, it's not a lot to pay for the experiment.
I have one of those as well - when you can't be bothered, didn't think to, or just didn't have space, to bring a flash along then these little things do a superb job of diffusing the on-camera pop-up flash and you can just keep them in your trouser pocket until needed.
03-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #9
Inactive Account

The one I linked to fits onto an external flash, do you have a link to the ones you mention? I've seen the Gary Fong puffer and copies, is that the kind of thing you're talking about?

A good DIY puffer for an onboard flash - for those who haven't seen it already - is to cut a slot in a translucent film can and slide it over the flash. I took it a stage further and added 2cm of diamond textured mylar on one side of the slot so I have a reversible puffer with an uplighter effect.

Edit: this is the thread where I saw the film can idea. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/134453-making-flash-puffer-ou...container.html
03-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've thrown my away...
What kind of shooting situation are you in, i'm quite sure you can work around not having one.
03-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the old days the advice was to just tie your handkerchief around it. I'm old enough to remember handkerchiefs...
03-28-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

If you are just sticking something directly to the front of the flash, it won't help much. You need to have the diffuser some distance away to make the beam of light effectively larger. A shoot-through umbrella is one type. Something more portable is a clip on attachment that holds a 8x10 inch white reflecting card, or one of those whale-tail gizmos.
03-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
The one I linked to fits onto an external flash, do you have a link to the ones you mention? I've seen the Gary Fong puffer and copies, is that the kind of thing you're talking about?
No I'm talking about exactly the one you linked to which just slides onto the pop-up flash. At least mine looks exactly the same and the dimensions of the one linked to look about right too - Overall Dimensions: 6 x 7.9 x 3.7cm. That's small and just right for the pop-up.
03-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
If you are just sticking something directly to the front of the flash, it won't help much. You need to have the diffuser some distance away to make the beam of light effectively larger. A shoot-through umbrella is one type. Something more portable is a clip on attachment that holds a 8x10 inch white reflecting card, or one of those whale-tail gizmos.
Closer by you get softer light though because the lightsource appear to be lager for the subject and the larger the light sourcer the softer the light.

Those omnibounce caps do work with macro though but if you use them with some distance the differnce between the bare flash and one with the diffuser is so small you don't see the differnce.
YOu need to use larger difussers then but the OP doesn't seem to be looking at those...
03-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
No I'm talking about exactly the one you linked to which just slides onto the pop-up flash. At least mine looks exactly the same and the dimensions of the one linked to look about right too - Overall Dimensions: 6 x 7.9 x 3.7cm. That's small and just right for the pop-up.
Ha, I've not thought of trying that, I'll have to give it a go. Good suggestion, thanks.