Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Should Pentax make colored body dslr's?
Stick with black Pentax 2018.02%
Make em any color you want Pentax 9181.98%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I think Black should be just one of the colour options...

Personally a bright-purple or bright-blue K5 would suit me down to the ground...

Making dslr's look more like toys will (or at least in theory 'should') also make them less threatening when you point them at folk... Imagine the smiles from those who normally scowl at your camera...

03-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Personally my specialty is shooting waterfowl, ducks in particular and a camalflauge would be sweet. But then there are those who have the mindset of once you go black you never go,,,,,,,,,,,,oh forget it.
04-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking forward to this:
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The future: I've predicted this before, I'll do it again. Spray-on thin-film semiconductors are already being applied to cloth; soon, almost any item can be 'painted' for full-body LCD display. Then our gear can be any color-pattern-image-text-etc. FunFunFun.
Anyway, let 'em make color options. Dunno if it should be the headlline, though. The K-x's approach to it was good and unprecendented, it made the K-x a huge success. The K-r followed suit but it did not impact the way the K-x did before it. Pentax should probably keep the color options up, but not as the headlining feature. After all, colored DSLRs are a Pentax first; Canikon followed but only to a slight extent.
04-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
In my vision, Pentax should be a pro level serious company making bombproof designs that are affordable with IQ and performance results that rival or better Canikon. But the key words for Pentax to remember is 'affordable pro level gear'.
But that's never been Pentax. From the get go they were not a pro level only camera brand. On the contrary. They have always developed and sold cameras with the average enthusiast in mind. Pentax has always been about selling to everyone not just the pro photographers shooting for business reasons. In that context brightly colored cameras make perfect sense actually. They want the guy shooting a fashion spread or a portrait shoot, sure, but more importantly they want Mom and Pop and their kids to be out there grabbing a fun camera. That's why they make cameras like the K-x and K-r and focus a lot on selling them. The K-5 is something to be proud of, and they'll sell many, but it's the lower end cameras that are Pentax's bread and butter.

04-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
But that's never been Pentax. From the get go they were not a pro level only camera brand. On the contrary. They have always developed and sold cameras with the average enthusiast in mind. Pentax has always been about selling to everyone not just the pro photographers shooting for business reasons. In that context brightly colored cameras make perfect sense actually. They want the guy shooting a fashion spread or a portrait shoot, sure, but more importantly they want Mom and Pop and their kids to be out there grabbing a fun camera. That's why they make cameras like the K-x and K-r and focus a lot on selling them. The K-5 is something to be proud of, and they'll sell many, but it's the lower end cameras that are Pentax's bread and butter.
Add to that they have always made a pro level camera but it's always been medium format. the LX and to a smaller degree the mz-s are the only 35mm pro type cameras (defined by what people call pro like the F5 for instance)
04-08-2012, 04:02 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Release as many colors as you can but please keep black always in stock.
Why?
Well, silver is okay (as alternative of black) but besides teenagers and youngsters, who might want to use colorful DSLR?
04-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by celebesario Quote
but besides teenagers and youngsters, who might want to use colorful DSLR?
I'm in my thirties... Why should I want black?

Currently in the process of recovering my 35mm-SLR's in funky coloured leather and if I can get the upgrade to my K-x in bright blue (or maybe orange...) then I defiantly will.

I'm aware that some photographers feel that funky-coloured cameras are in bad taste (perhaps they feel there will be a knock on effect in the re-sale market?) but I'm happy to let my images (usually rubbish but improving) speak for themselves...
04-08-2012, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

but besides teenagers and youngsters, who might want to use colorful DSLR?
I touched on this above:

Professionalism: Maybe it's good that 'pro' cameras (but not necessarily their lenses) are stereotypically black. Then we can use colourful 'toy' cameras for serious work without alarming the bystanders. I'm just snapshooting, don't pay attention to me.
That last line is a quote from pioneering photojournalist Alfred Eisenstaedt, self-described as "a little guy with a little camera" (first an Ermanox, later Leica). Y'all might recall his iconic WW2 VJ-Day shot of the sailor kissing the nurse, eh? Eisie made his bones shooting diplomatic conferences and street action, which he achieved by being very inconspicuous. If not inconspicuous enough, he had to be fast enough to outrun angry and dangerous subjects.

A more recent parallel: Xeni Jardin filed reports from Guatemala a few years ago (to WIRED and BOING-BOING and NPR) shot with a little pink P&S. Xeni is in no way inconspicuous. But a punkish bottle-blonde gringa tourista could casually aim a toy camera at subjects that would be impossible for a gear-laden pro with a big black pro camera and a fat pro lens.

The moral of this story: You wanna be taken seriously? Look serious. You wanna get otherwise-impossible shots? Don't look serious. Don't even look intelligent. Look like a fool with a foolish camera. Colors are camouflage.

PS: Sometimes being inconspicuous doesn't work. Another famous Eisie photo was shot at one of those mid-1930's diplo-fests, attended by Nazi propaganda chief Goebbels. Eisie took various unsatisfactory shots from a distance, then walked right up and almost poked the lens in Goebbels' face. The image: the Nazi twisting in a chair, glaring with venemous hate at this little Jewish worm of a photographer. And then the Gestapo knocked at Eisie's door the next day... but just to get copies of the photo. Eisie emigrated to USA not long afterwards.

And the moral of THIS story: Know when to make an exit.

Last edited by RioRico; 04-08-2012 at 06:15 AM.
04-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I'm in my thirties... Why should I want black?

Currently in the process of recovering my 35mm-SLR's in funky coloured leather and if I can get the upgrade to my K-x in bright blue (or maybe orange...) then I defiantly will.

I'm aware that some photographers feel that funky-coloured cameras are in bad taste (perhaps they feel there will be a knock on effect in the re-sale market?) but I'm happy to let my images (usually rubbish but improving) speak for themselves...
Hoho. Well I think I should think outside the box from now on.
But it is true, the colorful DSLR usually bought by teenagers. And seems like Pentax does not release K-5 with any other color but black recently.

The moral of this story: You wanna be taken seriously? Look serious. You wanna get otherwise-impossible shots? Don't look serious. Don't even look intelligent. Look like a fool with a foolish camera. Colors are camouflage.
Hell yeah fella, I like the bold one.
But colorful DSLR still looks like a DSLR and will not give you any camouflage enough though.
04-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Release as many colors as you can but please keep black always in stock.
Why?
Well, silver is okay (as alternative of black) but besides teenagers and youngsters, who might want to use colorful DSLR?
I would. I like green in particular, but there are other colors in their line up that I like very much besides. Your average "Mom" also would likely prefer a colored camera and from what I've seen here a lot of guys liked the red, white, and orange in particular. Nothing against black, I prefer that when it comes to older SLR's for some reason actually, but when it comes to digital I like a bit of color on my camera. If I didn't I would have half a dozen colorful strap covers and 3 different colored gear bags to swap out. I also carry a Barbie pink pocket cam, sue me, laugh. I'm no teenager. No kid. I'm a semi-pro shutterbug and I'm not at all ashamed of any of it. I'd cheerfully carry a green K-5 around any time. I really would.
04-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Black or?

Do what Henry Ford did to make evertone happy

"Give them any colour they want as long as it's black."

Mickey
04-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Black or?

Do what Henry Ford did with the Model T's to make evertone happy

"Give them any colour they want as long as it's black."

Mickey
04-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Colors were one of the reasons why I considered getting my K-x. Now two years later, I got myself a K-5. I probably would have never considered Pentax if those colors hadn't drawn my attention.
04-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #44
Pentaxian

I love my navy blue K-x. Its colorful, but not eye searingly so.
04-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #45

I saw a rainbow-colored Pentax 7, or 5.Very cool!!! Red,white,blue. I have my eye on a red one so it matches my Jeep.