Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Should Pentax make colored body dslr's?
Stick with black Pentax 2018.02%
Make em any color you want Pentax 9181.98%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Hello Kitty" K-5 + a pink strap only = OK ...

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Christine Tham might take umbrage at that sentiment.
Bonjour monochrome,

I thought about Christine when I wrote this ... OK, she'll be an exception to the rule. No offense to her was intended ... it's just that I hate hot pink cameras!

At least she did not paint her K-5 pink likes these idiots ...

Allez & A+, J Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-29-2012 at 05:01 AM.
03-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well since I have K-5 Silver, I guess that next to black this one would be the real good to sell camera. Making them yellow and other colours is a different matter and when possible I would say: do it!
03-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Bonjour monochrome,

I thought about Christine when I wrote this ... OK, she'll be an exception to the rule. No offense to her was intended ... I forgot the smile. I really just wanted to link the Hello Kitty thread again - and make a post with a pink font color it's just that I hate hot pink cameras!
Allez & A+, J Frog
Happens -
03-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Happens -
Touché, coulé .... J Green Frog

03-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Only concern I have with colored bodies is it may spread Pentax kinda thin with taking on too many screwy projects. They may be too concentrated thinking abpout oddball colors instead of the serious business of making top grade photo gear.

In my vision, Pentax should be a pro level serious company making bombproof designs that are affordable with IQ and performance results that rival or better Canikon. But the key words for Pentax to remember is 'affordable pro level gear'.
03-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
But the key words for Pentax to remember is 'affordable pro level gear'.
in "the color of your choice"
03-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there have been over time several quotes about "standardization" and "uniformity"

"You can have any color you want, as long as it is black" - henry ford with respect to the model T

"one people, one uniform" Chariman Mao

To be honest, I could care less as long as it does not impact the brand negatively and by this I mean driving sellers away from pentax because they don't want to carry all the different stock. The more they do to retain market share the better.

03-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
t
To be honest, I could care less as long as it does not impact the brand negatively and by this I mean driving sellers away from pentax because they don't want to carry all the different stock. The more they do to retain market share the better.
Lowell Goudge's reply is fair. I personally prefer black cameras. If coloured cameras were to be made, I would prefer olive drab as an optional colour.
Chhayanat
03-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Basically sitting at 5 to one in favour of colour so far. Personally when the coloured body thing started I think it definitely brought users to the brand as no-one else offered them. In fact it seems to have brought enough that canon has started offering a few (not as nice but that's Canon)
I think for the asian market where the build your own colour combo is viable it's a great idea and it shows in pentax japan sales numbers
I think they should open up the option to people who are willing to wait for something unique at a premium myself. more profit for Pentax, and will draw pople everywhere to the brand
I think moving the feature into the high end would be a mistake though. enthusiast buyers in general are a pretty cantankerous traditional bunch
03-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I love it. It has changed my way of thinking.
03-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Only concern I have with colored bodies is it may spread Pentax kinda thin with taking on too many screwy projects. They may be too concentrated thinking abpout oddball colors instead of the serious business of making top grade photo gear.

In my vision, Pentax should be a pro level serious company making bombproof designs that are affordable with IQ and performance results that rival or better Canikon. But the key words for Pentax to remember is 'affordable pro level gear'.
Uhmm, I'll bet they've got that covered.
03-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think a line of elegantly colored bodies would be cool. Not over the top stuff like lemon yellow or bright purple... More like maybe a subdued grey gunmetal-colored body with marbled navy leather grip. Or a gloss jet black body with burgundy leather grip. I think those would be quite upscale looking and probably sell like hotcakes.
03-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Colour: Whatever sells, that's all that counts. Cameras have not always been black, nor are they now. I have silver lenses that deserve a silver camera. I have (non-digital non-P&S) cameras in burgundy, and navy blue, and silver+black, and gray.

Professionalism: Maybe it's good that 'pro' cameras (but not necessarily their lenses) are stereotypically black. Then we can use colourful 'toy' cameras for serious work without alarming the bystanders. I'm just snapshooting, don't pay attention to me.

[About that last: My big black K20D with the DA18-250 or Tamron 10-24 mounted gathers many more greedy|appraising looks in border towns than does my little silver Sony DSC-V1. Pro-looking-gear seems much more worthy of being stolen, eh?]

The future: I've predicted this before, I'll do it again. Spray-on thin-film semiconductors are already being applied to cloth; soon, almost any item can be 'painted' for full-body LCD display. Then our gear can be any color-pattern-image-text-etc. FunFunFun.
03-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Camera-Leather.com says cameras should be colorful.
03-31-2012, 12:09 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Any color as long as it's black. (Or one of them is)