Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Should Pentax make colored body dslr's?
Stick with black Pentax 2018.02%
Make em any color you want Pentax 9181.98%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Should Pentax make colored body dslr's?

Black or a colored rainbow spectrum of dslr's?

03-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would love an orange camera, but that probably would kill the resale value.
03-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I prefer black DSLRs.

I think the colorful cameras, such as the K-x, K-r, and now K-01 help lure in younger people to Pentax.
I also hear that the colors are really popular in Asia and bring in good business to Pentax.
03-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Entry-level DSLR ... Let's be colorful

Bonjour,

Why not at the "entry level" in order to cast as big of a "marketing net" as possible ... just please, no hot pink Hello Kitty crap! (like Nikon J1, etc. ... and yes, it's not a DSLR, but still damn fugly!)

The "pro-sumer" and "pro" level will be more mundane (black and/or silver) for obvious reasons ... IMHO.

Allez & salut, John le "Green" Grenouille

03-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Any color as long as black is still available. Check.

Any color as long as it doesn't distract from technological and usability advancements. I think Pentax is doing okay there, too.
03-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Bonjour,

Why not at the "entry level" in order to cast as big of a "marketing net" as possible ... just please, no hot pink Hello Kitty crap! (like Nikon J1, etc. ... and yes, it's not a DSLR, but still damn fugly!)

The "pro-sumer" and "pro" level will be more mundane (black and/or silver) for obvious reasons ... IMHO.

Allez & salut, John le "Green" Grenouille
Christine Tham might take umbrage at that sentiment.
03-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Any color as long as black is still available.
Yes .

03-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Any color as long as black is still available.
Well I got a K-01!!

(I got a Black K-01)
03-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I think Pentax are trying to appeal to a wider audience than has been traditional for camera makers; sort of an "Apple moment" kind of thing. I have no objections to having many colours available, I just wish they were internationally. Not seen anything but black and white here in AU. I'd have liked a coloured 35mm 2.4 AL, too -- but again, only available in black here. Hopefully they expand that marketing outside of just Japan.
03-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would only buy black or maybe if I were rich a silver edition or if rich and mad the deep red lacquered 645. However anything that sells pentax slr cameras is good for me as it keeps pentax alive
03-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They should offer it in any colour they think will help sales.

Pros will stay with black anyway, as shiny colours (and silver/metallic) may cast visible reflections on the object. Crop portraits to maximum, and you may see the reflection of a coloured body in the eyes of the model.
03-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Keep the colorful entry level bodies coming! I told myself "you have the rest of your life to buy black camera bodies" right before I decided on a white K-x as my first DSLR.
03-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You know I just don't understand why any photographer would be down on colored cameras. Camera color is a personal preference thing but I mean COME ON what is photography without color? Insisting that choosing anything other than a black camera is like saying there can be nothing but black and white photography forever. Life is full of color. We choose color all the time. Why shouldn't a camera be red, purple, green, whatever? If we didn't instinctively like color we'd still all be watching black and white TVs. Using black and white monitors on all our gadgets. We'd never buy a car that wasn't black or white. But we do, of course we do.

I like my black cameras. I like them a lot. I like basic black in a lot of things, but I also like hot pink and green and purple and had I choice I'm not too certain I'd have gotten a black K-x over say a green one. For the life of me I just couldn't figure out how to get the bling I wanted to use to stick, otherwise my K-x probably would have ruby crystals in the Pentax letters and a Pentax crown on the prism. I really wanted to go there, smile. As it is I have several strap covers I made and messenger/camera bags in different colors to suit my mood. I use and change out stickers on the K-x all the time.

It's my camera. I'll do what I want with it and I make no apologies for doing so. I totally like color darn it! If I didn't I probably wouldn't even NEED a camera. :P
03-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Should Pentax make colored body dslr's?
Aye why not, each to their own, as we say hereabouts "what ever floats your boat"
03-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I thought a black one would be more pro, that the colourful ones are too toy-ish.. but then I thought about it some more.. the colour ones aren't any worse (except that other brand-fans mock them, but then applaud when their own brand does it), but they can help out when taking shots because they put the subject/model more at ease. When you aim a massive black DSLR with a big lens at someone on the street they freeze up, they get suspicious. But if you have a cool colour they are much more forgiving. They assume you are a hobbyist, a fun persom, rather than a paparazzo or spy.. I'm pretty happy with me black K-r, but when I'll be upgrading (years from now), I will probably try to find a nice colourful DSLR..